Random Question about Contrails/Aerodynamics

derrick06

Hey all! I couldn't find this specific answer in the search section so I decided to make a quick thread to ask a question about Contrails.

I live next to an airport so staring at aircraft is nothing new to me. Especially their contrails which I have even seen on racecars on humid days! (Check out this old picture from F1 I attached) Now on a race car It's easy to see the factors that effect the airflow around it and the contrails that come off its spoiler but on a plane with it's wings/exhaust It can be tougher so I noticed one thing that I was curious about!

What causes some parts of the contrail of an aircraft to stay present longer than other parts? Looking up at planes I sometimes notice this. The plane will be long gone and the trails closest to it have dissipated while another part of the trail further back can still be present. Can there be a change that much in moisture from one area to the next or wind currents? Also I have seen the contrails behind a plane suddenly stop while flying high, is this because it gained enough altitude where this won't be present? I read articles on here on how they work and such but since this was a specific question related to them I figured maybe I could post it? I apologize if this was already answered on here. Anybody have any insight? :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 238

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
Calculations of Aircraft Contrail Formation Critical Temperatures
There are two diagrams on the second page that explain why, in certain atmospheric conditions, contrails don't dissipate. Note that the physical gap between point 1 and point 2 is usually much shorter than illustrated in the diagram.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
What causes some parts of the contrail of an aircraft to stay present longer than other parts? Looking up at planes I sometimes notice this. The plane will be long gone and the trails closest to it have dissipated while another part of the trail further back can still be present. Can there be a change that much in moisture from one area to the next or wind currents? Also I have seen the contrails behind a plane suddenly stop while flying high, is this because it gained enough altitude where this won't be present?

Two articles specifically:

Broken contrails:
http://contrailscience.com/broken-contrails/

and
Why some parts of a contrail persist longer:
http://contrailscience.com/hybrid-contrails-a-new-classification/

There's a lot more to it, but that should give you an idea. If you still have questions, then a photo example would be very helpful.

The contrail on the car is an aerodynamic contrail. Most of the contrails you see from planes are engine exhaust contrails, which are quite different in their formation.

derrick06

Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find these. I knew there had to be differences in the conditions at the altitudes. All of your information answered my questions perfectly. Thanks everyone. This community rocks, I learn something new every time I visit!

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Exif 1 Random Sky Pic - 3 oddities... Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 35
Trigger Hippie Random Logout Site Feedback & News 2
Oxymoron Lol... Chemtrailing Mars? (And other random theories) Conspiracy Theories 21
J A question about refraction Flat Earth 5
Stefan Leahu Question regarding distant lighthouses Flat Earth 31
TWCobra Very good question asked by Madison Star Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 27
TemplarJLS I have a question General Discussion 38
TWCobra A good (unintended) question from a chemtrail believer Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Qualiall Cockpit Flight Recorder question Flight MH370 12
Mick West MEP Robert Sturdy Tables Parliamentary Question on "Chemtrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Lone Bison Contrail Question for Skeptics - What's the Effect of Contrails on Climate? Contrails and Chemtrails 233
Gary Cook 9/11 question about the support beams. General Discussion 19
Alchemist Outstanding Suspicious Backpack / Craft PMC question Boston Marathon Bombings 5
Mick West Brooks Agnew's Cloud Chamber HAARP Experiment on Joe Rogan's Question Everything HAARP 31
JRBids Question for the pilots here Contrails and Chemtrails 37
C Congressmanswife's question on chemtrails. Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Climate Scientist Alan Robock gets asked every chemtrail question in 11 minutes Contrails and Chemtrails 15
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mick West There Are No New Clouds, Just New Latin Classifications Contrails and Chemtrails 2
MikeC BBC: Biofuels 'could limit jet contrails' Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Spiral Contrails viewed from the International Space Station Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
ki_cz Claim: Satellite imagery showing 'sheet' of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West GOES-16 Satellite Images of Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Contrails Appear "Hot" in Thermal Imaging because the Sky Appears Very Cold Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Clouds Givemethewillies Why do inner contrails spread more than outer contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Related Articles

Related Articles