Poltergeist activity caught on video?

Not that difficult.. There is also "magic tricks" line available, that is virtually impossible to see, even in real life, up close.

Invisible thread

I like these videos though. Even if it is all fake, I enjoy the spookiness!

no. even if it was good resolution video (which it isnt) you wouldnt see fishing line.

ex:
Yes, it's poor video. In the higher rez picture here, you can just make out the line running parallel to the fishing rod. But this guy is surf fishing, using a short heavy rod with a good size reel, so he's probably running at least 20# test line if not bigger. The drawer could be opened with something much smaller, maybe even down to 4-5# test.

Also, slow the playback down to .25 and watch the fork(?). It sorta moves in the drawer, then appears suddenly up in the air, spins a bit then disappears. It looks like after doing the drawer trick, somebody tried to make it look like a fork flew up and out across the room. My guess is the camera is locked down and most of the fork trick didn't look good, so they just edited in a bit of it, so that at normal speed, we tend to think the fork flew up and out into the room. Instead, it just appears in the air for a split second and just disappears.

Actually, if you look close at .25 playback, it looks like the fork appears from behind the cabinet. I don't think it's in the same plane as the drawer it's supposed to have leapt out of.

Actually, if you look close at .25 playback, it looks like the fork appears from behind the cabinet. I don't think it's in the same plane as the drawer it's supposed to have leapt out of.
are you talking about the first utensil to come out? i thought it odd at first and thought maybe someone was in the cabinet and flinging it from the back of the drawer (its a kid trick all over youtube, siblings hiding in the lower cabinet and scaring their little brothers/sisters), but i figured that is too much work since the spatula (second object) looks like a fishing line pull.

i think the "fork" (ie first object) the line goes up around that upper cabinet handle. apologizes for my sloppy line (this scene looks so familiar, i think weve had this one on MB before)

1637262344978.png

are you talking about the first utensil to come out? i thought it odd at first and thought maybe someone was in the cabinet and flinging it from the back of the drawer (its a kid trick all over youtube, siblings hiding in the lower cabinet and scaring their little brothers/sisters), but i figured that is too much work since the spatula (second object) looks like a fishing line pull.

i think the "fork" (ie first object) the line goes up around that upper cabinet handle. apologizes for my sloppy line (this scene looks so familiar, i think weve had this one on MB before)

1637262344978.png
I'll go with fork first then spatula.

Again viewing in slow motion, .25 playback, the fork doesn't really do much, just wiggles enough that you notice it. Then the spatula appears suddenly in the air looking like some of it is behind the upper cabinet, moves left to right a little then suddenly disappears. Overall, fairly poor effort.

Now I need to learn how to capture a YouTube frame like you do so I to, can draw squiggly lines on it.

Now I need to learn how to capture a YouTube frame like you do so I to, can draw squiggly lines on it.
skitch is a free program that screengrabs (if youre on a computer). it has nicer arrows.

i usually just use my Windows "snipping tool" to screen grab and then they give you pencils to draw with. you dont even have to "save" it, you can finisih drawing and then just "paste in your MB comment.

but ill relook in slo mo. i saw 2 things take to the air.

yes in slo mo it does look like the fork appears behind cabinet. it moves down in next frames but is barely visible. then gone a few frames then barely visible again. i'm thinking it just went horizontal after this shot, so the bad resolution and fast mvoement made it appear to disappear.

1637273796330.png

spatula comes after. it first pops its head up in drawer (fishing line got stuck) and then flies out toward teh guy behind the counter.

hard to see in this screen grab but its from this far tray section
1637274177765.png

this blur is the spatula launching over the edge of the drawer
1637274248439.png

Mick taught me if you use your arrow key on keyboard you can advance youtube vids by one frame. the bigger spatula seems to disappear mostly as well, but you can just follow it frame by frame.. this smear that looks like a shadow is actually the spatula. (or what im calling a spatula)
1637274529739.png

next frame it moves to here (and int he following frame you actually see the edge of the hand towel move so the line msut be running under that and we are looking at a sink/breakfast bar set up.

1637274677521.png

Also, slow the playback down to .25 and watch the fork(?). It sorta moves in the drawer, then appears suddenly up in the air, spins a bit then disappears. It looks like after doing the drawer trick, somebody tried to make it look like a fork flew up and out across the room.

It does look like it comes out of nowhere and completely disappears, but if you watch it on their YouTube channel you can see much more of it:

Source: https://youtu.be/gpSToCkBk3U?t=723

As Deirdre just pipped me to, you can use < and > to move one frame at a time.

How could the apparent poltergeist activity shown in the first 40 secs of this video have been faked?

For videos like these you can usually find the answers among the YouTube comments - especially if they've been up for some time.

On this one, I'd say checking out Lainey and Ben's channel as a whole gives the answer.

Thanks @deirdre for the pointers on working with YouTube.

@Rory, yes it is much clearer in the original, I was just going off the OP video.
Which brings up questions about the 7News.con.au video in the OP. Is the poorer quality resolution something deliberate, to make it look more spooky, or an attempt to save band width or maybe that's was just the best version the 7News guys could get, and like me, they didn't bother to check out the original.

Back