Politeness Policy Feedback

Jazzy

Closed Account
I especially value the "not even-handed" idea. And I expect to visit the cooler. It's not easy to be effective without some emphasis... LOL.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
A timely article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/this-story-stinks.html?_r=0

Quantumbeliever

Banned
Banned
Mick,
As one who often takes the "other side" in this forum, thanks for this post. I would like to say that you and most of the users of this forum have been respectful and not insulting in my experience. This is a breath of fresh air that I think is critical if we are ever to start improving our understanding of a range of phenomena and issues.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Mick,
As one who often takes the "other side" in this forum, thanks for this post. I would like to say that you and most of the users of this forum have been respectful and not insulting in my experience. This is a breath of fresh air that I think is critical if we are ever to start improving our understanding of a range of phenomena and issues.
Thanks, and based on your posts you might find this article by Karla McLaren interesting, relating to the above:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/bridging_the_chasm_between_two_cultures

Critical Thinker

Mick, I do fully support the politeness policy...... however, I think that there is value in having on display, for the world to see, the ad hominem attacks that occur and the evasiveness of the persons that (say they) come here to debate the facts, yet they do anything but. I think that reasonable people that come to the forums for information and debunking of disinformation, ought to be privy to the tactics that are being employed to muddy the water rather than to debate facts. As for myself, I take into account not only the merits of an argument but also the manner in which someone makes their case.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Mick, I do fully support the politeness policy...... however, I think that there is value in having on display, for the world to see, the ad hominem attacks that occur and the evasiveness of the persons that (say they) come here to debate the facts, yet they do anything but. I think that reasonable people that come to the forums for information and debunking of disinformation, ought to be privy to the tactics that are being employed to muddy the water rather than to debate facts. As for myself, I take into account not only the merits of an argument but also the manner in which someone makes their case.
That's true if you are debunking an individual. But if you are addressing a theory of some particular claim of evidence, then the the tactics of insults actually DO muddy the waters.

Marcus Mudd

Thanks, and based on your posts you might find this article by Karla McLaren interesting, relating to the above:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/bridging_the_chasm_between_two_cultures
this article is really not about bridging gaps at all, its about changing a persons way of thinking, from acknowledging the unknown, to ignoring it and relabeling it as knwn. A actual bridge, however, must be achieved to merge these two ways of thinking, and not sacrifice one for the other. ;)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
this article is really not about bridging gaps at all, its about changing a persons way of thinking, from acknowledging the unknown, to ignoring it and relabeling it as knwn. A actual bridge, however, must be achieved to merge these two ways of thinking, and not sacrifice one for the other. ;)
Perhaps you missed this bit where she's specifically asking skeptics to try to see things from the New Age point of view:

And science is about the unknown. That's really the big thing in science.

"The unknown" is what most scientists are working on.

Marcus Mudd

Perhaps you missed this bit where she's specifically asking skeptics to try to see things from the New Age point of view:

And science is about the unknown. That's really the big thing in science.

"The unknown" is what most scientists are working on.
that is still an appeal for reason to bestow humanity upon the irrational, which is an irrational approach. A brtter approach is to concede that there is a misunderstanding of reality at a fundamental point, and new interpretations are just that, and since we are still at a basic lvel of understanding, they too deserve attention and understanding, not just tolerance, as that blurb suggests

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
that is still an appeal for reason to bestow humanity upon the irrational, which is an irrational approach. A brtter approach is to concede that there is a misunderstanding of reality at a fundamental point, and new interpretations are just that, and since we are still at a basic lvel of understanding, they too deserve attention and understanding, not just tolerance, as that blurb suggests
So you are saying that the best approach for scientists is to accept they are wrong about everything?

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here.