Origin of 3 contrail pseudoconditions?

cmnit

Hi all, as most (or all) of you I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing about the chemtrailist mantra regarding the infamous 3 pseudoconditions for contrail formation:
1. height of flight > 8000 m
2. temperature < -40 C
3. relative humidity > 70%

It is amazing how this meme reproduces itself without mutations ... but now I am curious about the originator of this "trick". Maybe you wrote about this before somewhere in the forum or in the contrail science site? Thanks anyway!

Rico

Senior Member.
These are just common figures you find in scientific literature pertaining to atmospheric science. Just at a quick glance, 8000 m is often cited as the height where you begin to see cirrus clouds. I know at least one textbook that calls out -40 C as the temperature where you start seeing persistent contrails. RH 70% is also mentioned from a number of sources. Wikipedia cites 8,000m, -36.5 degrees, and RH 60%, as when contrails "usually forms". (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail)

Generally, you will tend to see contrails with these conditions, so they are not necessarily "pseudoconditions." I think the problem that a lot of chemtrail believers have is that they tend to assert that thou must have all these conditions for a contrail to form, which is blatantly false if only they understood why height, temperature, and RH are significant. In short, they take these numbers at face value, and often out of context.

For example, while a lot of contrails do form at heights greater than 8,000 meters (~26,000 feet), it may totally escape some people that they can form at lower altitudes if the temperature was colder (heck, here in Canada, it's not unusual seeing -40 at 5,000 feet on a cold winter day, or even at the surface). I am pretty sure most people don't even realize that the colder the temperature gets, the less moisture the air can carry before that moisture is condensed, and thus visible to the naked eye. There is also the factor that temperatures tend to decrease as you go up in altitude (exception is an inversion), which is a fact that often gets left behind when advocating chemtrails.

Last edited:

cmnit

Thanks Rico for the detailed explanation. Still, I have this feeling that someone in particular started to use the argument without context as you describe in the chemtrail camp, so that all others followed easily. Just curious.

skephu

Senior Member.
In addition, aerodynamic contrails form at lower altitudes and warmer temperatures, and are often hard to distinguish from exhaust contrails.

Efftup

Senior Member.
Thanks Rico for the detailed explanation. Still, I have this feeling that someone in particular started to use the argument without context as you describe in the chemtrail camp, so that all others followed easily. Just curious.
Similar to the contrails don't persist, ergo they must be chemtrails argument. It gets parotted around as fact so much that nobody ever bothers to check up where that idea came from.

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The figures are reasonably rules of thumb as to when contrails are likely to form, however when the theorists use them to "prove" that a contrail should not have formed they are almost always referring to contrails that DO fall within those values.

They do one or more of:
  1. Underestimate the height, thinking if they can see the plane it must be very low, or if it is close to the horizon (even if it's too small to see) then it must be close to the ground.
  2. Overestimate the temperature, thinking "I live in Las Vegas, it's summer, so obviously it's not -40!!"
  3. Underestimate the humidity, either for the reason above ("I live in the desert, where it is dry") or using radiosonde soundings which generally don't register humidity with any accuracy below -40°F/C, and only give spot measurements anyway.
That covers the majority of cases, but I have seen also people point out contrails in the UK at around 18,000 feet in the winter - which is just a misunderstanding of the function of altitude.

Donnn

I was also involved in discussions about similar parameters.

Is there any data on the following questions?
-How often do persistent contrails (longer than 20 min) form? Some people say they form rarely, only under very special circumstances, other say are a regular phenomena. So when looking at the whole year, what is the average amount of days that would be suitable for the forming of persistent contrails, say in a central European climate. Any way to find out?

-How often do contrails become a cirrus cloud. Is this a "rare" event, as claimed by some? Or a "frequent" event.
I know these words need a better definition, but I am only re-using the words I read from meteorologists, where some claim it is a "rare" event. Are there any numbers, like percentage?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
-How often do persistent contrails (longer than 20 min) form? Some people say they form rarely, only under very special circumstances, other say are a regular phenomena. So when looking at the whole year, what is the average amount of days that would be suitable for the forming of persistent contrails, say in a central European climate. Any way to find out?
It's a complicated question, with complicated answers. See:
http://www-pm.larc.nasa.gov/sass/pub/conference/JP1.15.duda.arams.02.pdf

0.197 and 0.269 are the frequency of persistent contrail conditions, so about one out of ever 4 or 5 days, on average. But looking at the chart, some areas get a lot more than others, and it varies a lot with the weather.

Trailblazer

Staff member
I was also involved in discussions about similar parameters.

-How often do contrails become a cirrus cloud. Is this a "rare" event, as claimed by some? Or a "frequent" event.
I know these words need a better definition, but I am only re-using the words I read from meteorologists, where some claim it is a "rare" event. Are there any numbers, like percentage?
According to a study by Reading University, about 7% of the total flight distance by airliners is in conditions were persistent contrails will form:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/news-and-events/releases/PR586136.aspx

Note that that percentage includes the take-off and landing phases where the aircraft are not at cruising altitude, so the actual percentage for aircraft at cruising height will presumably be slightly higher than this.

This paper specifically studies the frequency of "cold ISSRs" (ice super-saturated regions, where contrails will persist) over the north Atlantic: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2012GL051909/full

upload_2015-5-19_11-54-8.png

upload_2015-5-19_11-55-23.png
upload_2015-5-19_11-59-2.png

In altitude terms, 300hPa is about 30,000 feet, and 200hPa is about 38,700 feet, which are close to the lower and upper ranges of aircraft cruising altitude.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Priyadi The Origin of the "Polaris is visible from south of the equator" Myth Flat Earth 2
Mick West The Origin of a Viral Photo of Desert Wildflowers "God Spilled the Paint" by Frank Kee General Discussion 14
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail videos on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Zooming in on a Sunset Contrail "UFO" Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Where did the third trail go? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Explained: Exmouth UFO Flying Saucer - Sunlit Contrail and Motion Blur Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 70
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
steve holmes Why only one contrail today? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
cloudspotter Unusual Contrail Off Norway Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 15
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
TEEJ Claim that Airliners are at risk of collision - Northern Ireland, 9th July 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West A Faint Asymmetric Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
JFDee Exemplary contrail shadow over Montreal Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Trailblazer Explained: Contrail Cross in Florida, June 2 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Trailblazer 2012 Western Australia "meteor" identified? (contrail) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West A Dark Contrail near Salt Lake Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Inti Presenting the good stuff in Metabunk and Contrail Science in a different way? Practical Debunking 6
AumuA Transit of Mercury, with contrail. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West NASA502 GLF3 Earthquake Survey Plane leaves giant curving contrails again Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Marin B contrail or long skinny cirrus? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles