NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object

Itsme

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling increasingly tedious and nerdy discussing the details of the details of the details of a small video fragment of a UAP case we hardly know anything else about.

I did the best I can to explain my case. If people do not agree, that's fine. But I don't think a further discussion will lead to anything new at this moment.

Mendel

Senior Member.
And what does this image tell exactly?
1626086929590.png

That specular reflected light bends back into itself?
No.
This is an overlay of three diagrams that show the strength of the signal as function of the angle, i.e. a function plot in polar coordinates.

In a common x/y diagram, you choose an x value and read off the corresponding y value; in these diagrams, you choose an angle and read off the corresponding value.

To dismiss knowledge and contributions you do not understand is an ineffective way to learn and an annoying way to have a conversation.

Cassi O

I think the major problem with the `rotating glare caused by rotating window' hypothesis lies in the ATFLIR optics.

The ATFLIR optics is basically an extreme telephoto lens, constructed with mirrors instead of lenses. The first mirror (12 in the picture) is the entrance area of the lens:
1625737446228.png
(picture was taken from one of the Raytheon patents)

Not Glare or Diffraction caused by an obstruction, it's Coma.​

"The dominant off-axis aberration in the Newtonian is coma; astigmatism is low in comparison."

1626347340569.png

source: https://www.telescope-optics.net/newtonian_off_axis_aberrations.htm

I don't think coma is an issue for larger closer objects normally viewed by the targeting pod, but would be apparent for a planet with parallel rays of light. I thought of this after seeing the Raytheon patents image above, and my analysis of the targets line of bearing here:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/gi...lines-of-bearing-and-or-dcs.11836/post-253580

Last edited:

Itsme

Not Glare or Diffraction caused by an obstruction, it's Coma.​

"The dominant off-axis aberration in the Newtonian is coma; astigmatism is low in comparison."

1626347340569.png

source: https://www.telescope-optics.net/newtonian_off_axis_aberrations.htm

I don't think coma is an issue for larger closer objects normally viewed by the targeting pod, but would be apparent for a planet with parallel rays of light. I thought of this after seeing the Raytheon patents image above, and my analysis of the targets line of bearing here:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/gi...lines-of-bearing-and-or-dcs.11836/post-253580
That's an interesting claim. But any optical aberration caused by an imperfect entrance mirror shape is independent of light intensity and therefore should equally distort the whole image area, and this image-filling distortion would NOT rotate with the gimbal because of the de-rotation device that compensates any rotation of the image caused by the rotating Gimbal. The idea of the glare hypothesis is that a glare can rotate independent from the image.

Last edited:

Cassi O

That's an interesting claim. But any optical aberration caused by an imperfect entrance mirror shape is independent of light intensity and therefore should equally distort the whole image area, and this image-filling distortion would NOT rotate with the gimbal because of the de-rotation device that compensates any rotation of the image caused by the rotating Gimbal. The idea of the glare hypothesis is that a glare can rotate independent from the image.

The coma aberration is caused by the off-axis design, not the shape of the mirror.

With astronomical telescope coma is most noticeable for individual bright stars towards the outer edge of the FoV.

Last edited:

Ravi

Not true @Cassi O .

A Three Mirror Anastigmat design is specifically used and designed to prevent spherical aberrations like astigmatism and also coma. Not saying it is completely free of aberrations (mis-alignment of the optics will introduce massive amount of aberration), but highly unlikely.

Here is a good read-up.

Itsme

The coma aberration is caused by the off-axis design, not the shape of the mirror.

With astronomical telescope coma is most noticeable for individual bright stars towards the outer edge of the FoV.
Ah, I see. I thought the red and blue curved lines at the mirror (see picture below, from one of your links) were supposed to depict an ideal and a distorted mirror. What they show is that an off-axis object that is not right in front of the mirror will cause some deformation of its reflected light wave fronts purely due to physics, so even in an ATFLIR that is designed perfectly without any flaws.

I don't think this plays a role in the gimbal video, because:
1. The ATFLIR will focus on the object it is tracking, so I would expect this object to NOT be off axis.
2. If an ATFLIR would show this kind of distortion by design, every jet or other bright object in its image would look like a UFO. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Have you checked the order of magnitude of this distortion we could expect in an ATFLIR? I bet it's so small it can be neglected.

Screenshot_2021-07-15-16-21-57-634~2.jpeg

Cassi O

Not true @Cassi O .

A Three Mirror Anastigmat design is specifically used and designed to prevent spherical aberrations like astigmatism and also coma. Not saying it is completely free of aberrations (mis-alignment of the optics will introduce massive amount of aberration), but highly unlikely.

Here is a good read-up.
Your wiki article does not talk about an off-axis mirror. It makes sense that the targeting system would use an off-axis design to eliminate the central obstruction (and potential blind spot for small close targets).

Last edited:

Cassi O

Ah, I see. I thought the red and blue curved lines at the mirror (see picture below, from one of your links) were supposed to depict an ideal and a distorted mirror. What they show is that an off-axis object that is not right in front of the mirror will cause some deformation of its reflected light wave fronts purely due to physics, so even in an ATFLIR that is designed perfectly without any flaws.

I don't think this plays a role in the gimbal video, because:
1. The ATFLIR will focus on the object it is tracking, so I would expect this object to NOT be off axis.
2. If an ATFLIR would show this kind of distortion by design, every jet or other bright object in its image would look like a UFO. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Have you checked the order of magnitude of this distortion we could expect in an ATFLIR? I bet it's so small it can be neglected.

Screenshot_2021-07-15-16-21-57-634~2.jpeg

Since the mirror configuration is tilted to eliminate the central obstruction, any light entering it will be off-axis, that's the nature of the design.

Last edited:

Ravi

Your wiki article does not talk about an off-axis mirror. It makes sense that the targeting system would use an off-axis design to eliminate the central obstruction (and potential blind spot for small close targets).

The system used in the ATFLIR pod is a TMA. I explained why it is called an anastigmat, namely it has per definition NO aberrations.. You claim "because it is off axis, therefore we see aberrations", this is false.

Cassi O

The system used in the ATFLIR pod is a TMA. I explained why it is called an anastigmat, namely it has per definition NO aberrations.. You claim "because it is off axis, therefore we see aberrations", this is false.
Got it, the ATFLIR was designed as an Off-axis three-mirror anastigmat.

Still, it was designed for viewing relatively close targets, and may perform differently if pointed at a bright planet, which is more of a point source rather than an extended light source.

Ravi

Got it, the ATFLIR was designed as an Off-axis three-mirror anastigmat.

Still, it was designed for viewing relatively close targets, and may perform differently if pointed at a bright planet, which is more of a point source rather than an extended light source.
Still, no aberration should be visible. If there is one thing that optical engineers hate, it is aberrations. So, you can count on it that the ATFLIR is designed properly. If there is any aberration left in there, it is smaller than the camera can resolve.

Also, the telescope (TMA) is not the only optical element needed to create an image, you need an objective system too (likely also mirror based). So the optics can be pretty complex (meaning that the image in post 804 is not the full optics, just generalised).

jarlrmai

So I did some digging around and found something to fill in a gap I had with the full symbology of what the ATFLIR was showing.

At around 2 seconds into the gimbal video the text ADV-M4 OK appears on the FLIR display above the speed indicators

1628342079944.png

What does this mean I did some digging into the manual ADV is an advisory and M4 related to Mode 4 for the IFF system

Page 538 of

https://www.metabunk.org/attachment...nnell-douglas-fighter-a1-f18ac-nfm-pdf.44932/

Says

"If the transponder is replying to valid mode 4 interrogations, the M4 OK advisory is displayed on the left DDI."

"The option 4 selection is used for enabling/ disabling the secure mode"

So I think this either means the transponder was on and in secure mode or was actively responding, it's hard to tell.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
bird_up "Gimbal UFO video rendered in 3D" by Abominati0n UFOs and Aliens 5
V Gimbal Video Interactive Software/Program UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 16
J White dot in top left of Gimbal video UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 3
V GIMBAL Video: Simulating the ATFLIR Tracking and Gimbal Rotation UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 20
Mick West Original Flir1, Gimbal, and Go Fast UFO "Raw" Video Files UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 33
M Gimbal ID of a possible jet? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 36
Mick West Gimbal distance and Speed Range Estimates using Lines of Bearing and/or DCS UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 247
Daniel F F-16 Pilot- Chris Lehto analyses Gimbal footage UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 197
Daniel F Hypothesis - Rotation of Gimbal not caused by lens glare. UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Why Michio Kaku is wrong about the UFO Burden of Proof & Navy Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West TFTRH #22: Seth Shostak: SETI Senior Astronomer: ETs, UFO "Disclosure" Area 51 Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 3
Getoffthisplanet Flir1, Go Fast, Gimbal - Navy Releases New Information: Official Dates UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 9
Mick West Gimbal Lock and Derotation in FLIR/ATFLIR systems UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 30
Mick West TTSA's Form DD-1910 for FLIR, Go Fast, and Gimbal videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 44
N Explained: "Jellyfish object" video in Russia [Rocket Launch] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
F Example of a Boeing 737 "Tic Tac" (video) UFOs and Aliens 9
ki_cz Need help debunking FE video Flat Earth 42
R Video of UFOs around/on the sun - Sunspots and a Bird UFOs and Aliens 15
dimebag2 Poll : Which DOD Navy video do you consider debunked ? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 41
LorentzHall Elizondo Claims DoD Have A 50-Feet-Away Photo & 23 Minute Video UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 30
R Explained: Video of Vandenberg UFO shooting down ICBM [reenactment] UFOs and Aliens 8
Vara La Fey Video of all FAA mandated aircraft lights? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
V Needs debunking: flat earthers claim this reflection to show a harness in ISS video Flat Earth 10
M Any explanation for this UFO video? UFOs and Aliens 6
S Does this video footage show a dragon (sea serpent) attacking a manatee? [No] Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
A USS Omaha UFO / UAP Radar Video UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 257
CeruleanBlu Video summary of Independent Forensic Team Report on Oroville Dam Oroville Dam 2
M 'UFO' video just shows contrail formation? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Mick West Mike Lindell's 2-Hour Election Fraud Claim Video "Absolute Proof": Hacking Claims Election 2020 7
Mick West Debunked: Video of Poll Worker "Filling In" Ballots. Election 2020 3
Trailblazer Reutlingen Fake UFO Video 2013 UFOs and Aliens 3
Rocky Gettysburg 'ghosts’ run across road [Windscreen smudge] General Discussion 4
D Falmouth "Shadow Creature" Video [Black Cat?] Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 10
G Belarus demonstration video Current Events 2
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
U Looking for debunkings of the “Plandemic” video Coronavirus COVID-19 17
Jesse3959 Being seen from space - methods to demonstrate that sats are real and provide live video? Flat Earth 6
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs and Aliens 1
Wizard Mexican Air Force UFO Video? [Oil Rigs] UFOs and Aliens 14
Mick West Simulating the Nimitz UFO video as a blurry plane UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 51
jarlrmai UFO video in Arizona from Reddit Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
Ravi Utah Drone video of UFO [Probably an Insect Zip-By] UFOs and Aliens 131
Mick West Blowing out Candles with a Single Punch General Discussion 47
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
B Bob Lazar 1989 Video Analysis Method UFOs and Aliens 1
Related Articles

Related Articles