North-South flights

Sascha

Came across a new FE assumption recently. One I haven't heard yet (and there I thought I heard them all lol)

Basically it's stating that a plane flying north-south would have to match the increase in tangential velocity of the latitudes in order to stay on the same longitude. In case of north pole - equator the lateral circular velocity the plane would have to keep up with would have to rise from 0 mph at liftoff to the 1000 mph of the equator at landing. The formula that was used was v=ω*r.

It kind of seems like this relies onto the plane nor Earth having any angular velocity but only linear tangential velocity at any given point on Earth (so Earth also has no rpm, rad/s etc. only mph) therefore there's no force to accelerate the plane sideways to match the 1000 mph of the equator, especially seeing as the plane can do just 500 mph normally anyway.

That's the reason he concluded that Earth's not rotating but instead is flat.

Somehow that sounds so wrong... It's like the atmosphere and the plane's angular inertia from even before liftoff are deliberately just left out but sadly I'm not versed enough in that particular field to debunk that one properly (I chose economics back in school instead of maths...)

Came across a new FE assumption recently
Where?

Basically it's stating that a plane flying north-south would have to match the increase in tangential velocity of the latitudes in order to stay on the same longitude. In case of north pole - equator the lateral circular velocity the plane would have to keep up with would have to rise from 0 mph at liftoff to the 1000 mph of the equator at landing.
This is literally true, but it misses a couple of things:

1) The air is moving with the earth, so as you fly south the overall movement of the air will accelerate the plane in that direction

2) If you ignore the air, then it takes a remarkable small about of the total thrust to accelerate to 1000 mph over the course of the 12 hours it would take to fly from the north pole to the equator. A plane can get from 0 to 200 mph in a minute (during takeoff). So to get to 1000 mph it would take 5 times as long (five minutes). Or over 12 hours it could do it with <1% thrust. And of course it would not need to, see #1, above.

This is essentially a variation on "why don't planes correct for the Coriolis effect" argument. The answer is the same - the effect of the air around the plane is a thousand times greater than the effect of the very slow (once a day) rotation of the Earth. Planes have to constantly adjust for the wind velocity relative to the ground, and those adjustments wipe out anything else.

In Quora of all places. There are quite a few flat earthers trying to spread their "science"

I already thought that a few things are missing.

to 2) One of his points was that the plane can't get to 1000mph to begin with as it's not made for those speeds.

2) One of his points was that the plane can't get to 1000mph to begin with as it's not made for those speeds.

That shows either a deep misunderstanding of the physics involved, or someone who is trolling. I'd lean towards the latter.

The only relevant speeds for a plane are ground speed and air speed. At no time would a plane exceed their design limits in either of those speeds (and ground speed is an irrelevant limit once you are in the air)

It looks like he's spending too much time on that to be trolling, especially as he puts a lot of effort to try adding some sciency sounding words in. I think he actually believes all that.
But definitely there's a lot of misunderstanding going on, not just about this.

Thanks for clearing that up. When such a topic isn't your expertise such topic can get quite frustrating if the other party just keeps repeating such misdirections lol

To explain my deleted post, I took the problem on the wrong Earth.
The base objection stay the same : as the plane environnement is the air, it move with it.
If it has to compensate for the rotation ( or even a translation) of the Earth it mean the air don't move with the earth.

So, where is the 1000mph wind at the equator?

They just put that as reason that there's no rotation ;)
All observations showing rotation have to be ignored but that's not a problem.

My favourite was one asking why we just can't accept that Earth acts the way it does and that it's not understood why (star trails, southern cross, etc.)

To explain my deleted post, I took the problem on the wrong Earth.
The base objection stay the same : as the plane environnement is the air, it move with it.
If it has to compensate for the rotation ( or even a translation) of the Earth it mean the air don't move with the earth.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're having difficulty understanding why the Earth's surface doesn't move out from under the atmosphere. Let me ask you a question. As you can see, the cruise ship in this video is clearly moving. Typical speed for a cruise ship is 25 knots (28 mph - 46 kph). Why doesn't the ship move out from under the diver?

Watch these (fake) bombs dropping from this B-24. Why do the bombs continue to "follow" the plane? They have no source of power, yet they remain moving forward with the plane all the way to the ground. Why?

Put your mouse cursor on the bombs just after they drop. You'll see that the cursor stays right on them.

People walk around, jump, and throw balls to one another just fine on the deck of a moving ship.

Last edited:
It was the contrary I know how it work, it's just that, if th plane has to compensate the speed of the spinning of the earth ( like in the claim) the air as to not spin with it.
It can be easily debunked by showing that the air spin with the earth because there's no constant 1000mph wind at the equator. There's no need to look at the specs if rhe planes...

Not only the conspracy theorist get their post deleted sometimes ;)

( English is not my native language, I can make strange sentenses constructions sometime)

Back