Need help debunking FE video

Amber Robot

That's a minor problem. The atmosphere refracts vertically, and you can actually see stuff near the horizon disappear under the right conditions.

The major problem isn't the elevation, it's the azimuth. The sun does not set in the right direction. Like, not at all if you're in Australia, Africa, or South America in the summer (like December), and slightly off almost everywhere else. The light needs to bend sideways for Flat Earth, and it basically never does, because there's no reason for that. FEers can get their followers confused about what we should and shouldn't see vertically, but they stay away from adressing the sideways problem because they know the jig is up once anyone starts questioning that: the only out is to stop believing what you see, and that reeks of brainwashing.
I agree azimuth is also a problem. It’s very easy to show that. But altitude is definitely a problem. Middle school geometry shows that. Many people don’t appreciate how the sun moves in azimuth but a sunset directly disproves the flat earth model.

there’s no “bendy” light theory that explains this photo. Why you can see the sun and the horizon at the same point.

Attachments

• 737B37A3-2B51-46A1-B652-7C313AC8784D.jpeg
    737B37A3-2B51-46A1-B652-7C313AC8784D.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 42

Mendel

Senior Member.
I'm not talking about geometry, I'm talking about Flat Earthers, and what I've seen them believe, via youtube videos and comments on them. You may overestimate how many of them even care about geometry, or understand refraction except in the vaguest sense.

And the fact is that atmospheric refraction defies middle school geometry. If you pronounce your trust in this, prepare to be proven wrong by the next Flat Earther, especially when photographs near large water surfaces are concerned.

But having the sun move in a circle above the equator or thereabouts on the "Flat Earth Map" precludes it being seen in the Southeast or Southwest in Adelaide in December; you need no geometry whatsoever to understand this, and it's a really large effect. You have to avoid thinking about it to remain a FEer.

Last edited:

Amber Robot

I'm not talking about geometry, I'm talking about Flat Earthers, and what I've seen them believe, via youtube videos and comments on them. You may overestimate how many of them even care about geometry, or understand refraction except in the vaguest sense.

But having the sun move in a circle above the equator or thereabouts on the "Flat Earth Map" precludes it being seen in the Southeast or Southwest in Adelaide in December; you need no geometry whatsoever to understand this. You have to avoid thinking about it to remain a FEer.
I’m not overestimating. I don’t think flat earthers care about geometry at all. They don’t even begin to demonstrate even the slightest comprehension of it. none of that I’ve ever seen at least.

And I completely agree with you about the azimuth. It’s trivial to show that the sun moves in demonstrably contrary ways to reality just by drawing a circle over a plane (their model).

*We are in violent agreement here.*

A couple of years ago I started interacting with some flat earth proponents/space deniers on the NASA Facebook comments section and how I ended up finding metabunk. ultimately it became a mental health issue for me, a former professional astrophysicist, so I had to stop. I think I’ll bow out here, having said my part

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Daves! Need help triangle uap/ufo Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Daves! Need help: in analyzing this "uap" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 39
M Need help: Apollo Cold Welding Mitigation Conspiracy Theories 3
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 3
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
T Need Debunking: Alfred Kinsey claims that child sex abuse is harmless General Discussion 6
T Need Debunking: Sayyid Qutb was a Liason for the Communist International General Discussion 2
C Need Debunking: Concert photograph from 8/27/21 (Billy Strings) fans claiming UFO. No eyewitness that I know of. UFOs and Aliens 12
M Need Debunking: Apollo 12 LM caught on a wire Conspiracy Theories 12
P Need Debunking: "Experimental Vaccine Death Rate for Israel's Elderly 40 Times Higher Than COVID-19 Deaths" Coronavirus COVID-19 7
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
mudr0 Why do spacesuit-wearing astronauts need blankets after returning to Earth? Science and Pseudoscience 5
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
vooke Need debunking: Writings in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
MikeG Police Don't Need HS Diploma General Discussion 1
Truthful New published physics article points out NIST limitations and need for new investigation. Conspiracy Theories 3
SabreSaint Need Debunking: CERN To Recreate Big Bang Science and Pseudoscience 26
vooke Need debunking:Ebola conspiracies video Conspiracy Theories 10
A Need explanation: What kind of plane was that? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
derwoodii [Debunked] Jeff Rothschild. In order to finalize the New World Order we need a 3rd world war [Fake] Quotes Debunked 6
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
SabreSaint Need Debunking: Blackwater Deployed To Ukraine? Conspiracy Theories 37
Clock Debunked: "All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the NWO" Quotes Debunked 12
H Need someone savvy on the holocaust Conspiracy Theories 36
dimebag2 Meteorological data to help in understanding Gimbal (January 20 and 21, 2015) UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 9
D Help debunking local UFO claim Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Stefan Leahu Help identifying lights on the ocean surface, Pacific Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
S Help: Panorama Maker and the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 19
Mick West What You Can do to Help Promote Escaping the Rabbit Hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Statistics Help Needed - Understanding the practical meaning of r values Practical Debunking 6
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
D Can you help with a picture? [Ballast Barrels] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Husband of chemmy Help me! Wife is Chemtrailing... Contrails and Chemtrails 69
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
derwoodii any help to prove or disprove this quote or claim Quotes Debunked 22
R Help debunking Sandy Hook and Aroura crisis actors! Conspiracy Theories 8
K Please help me find sources on anthropogenic climate change scientific consensus General Discussion 5
Leifer Help needed finding demolition video. 9/11 28
Leifer does Social Media + Ego help drive conspiracy theories ? General Discussion 63
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Related Articles

Related Articles