My eyes deceived me so I had to debunk myself

derwoodii

Senior Member.
I thought I was watching a helicopter at night in far off distance with its navigation lights blinking red blue green yellow but it was a star.

Just a small spec far off in the dark nite sky twinkling red, blue, yellow, white green hues but no sound so I & all my home family agreed must a chopper hovering way off and high.

Taking small interested we casually observed it a short time, later it moved off to the north then I guess returned,,, but it wasn’t a chopper was it because the next night it was back same location...This time I watched more carefully and concluded it was a star or planet.. A quick stellarium search found it Sirius a twin star that when rising low in sky can twinkle many colors due to atmosphere..

It seemed to move off as its location as was perfectly masked by Jet star JQ16 flight Hobart to Melbourne passing by ( a few million light years closer) :)

jq716.PNG

why does sirius twinkle
https://www.universetoday.com/92678/why-does-sirius-twinkle/

This is best similar youtube vid i could find with out to many hokum claims

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PpGPudn_c

Last edited:

sharpnfuzzy

There are rules about aircraft lighting which limit the colours to red, green, and white. So if you see something flashing blue or yellow, you can pretty much rule out an aircraft right off the bat.

Each individual authority has it's own specific rules but generally they follow the same international standard. This is the Canadian one.

Rory

Senior Member.
There are rules about aircraft lighting which limit the colours to red, green, and white. So if you see something flashing blue or yellow, you can pretty much rule out an aircraft right off the bat.

Each individual authority has it's own specific rules but generally they follow the same international standard. This is the Canadian one.
Is it possible that blue, yellow, or white could appear as another colour?

Also, when you say they "generally" follow the international standard, does that mean there are exceptions?

sharpnfuzzy

Also, when you say they "generally" follow the international standard, does that mean there are exceptions?
I don't know of any exceptions, and I can't really think of any good reason why some aviation authority wouldn't follow the standard. After all if aircraft from your country need to fly into another country, they'd need to follow the destination's rules anyways.

Z.W. Wolf

Senior Member.
- On a small, private airplane, when the lenses get old, they get might get cloudy and/or change color somewhat. From red to orange. From green to blue/green. From clear to cloudy yellow.

-There might be dust, smoke, smog etc. in the air.

Z.W. Wolf

Senior Member.
I thought I was watching a helicopter at night in far off distance with its navigation lights blinking red blue green yellow but it was a star.
.Just a small spec far off in the dark nite sky twinkling red, blue, yellow, white green hues but no sound so I & all my home family agreed must a chopper hovering way off and high.

A quick stellarium search found it Sirius a twin star that when rising low in sky can twinkle many colors due to atmosphere..
Sirius would rise about 9:10 p.m. local time in the ESE. It takes some time to rise above the clutter on the horizon.

This is best similar youtube vid i could find with out to many hokum claims

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PpGPudn_c
Out of focus!

derwoodii

Senior Member.
Sirius would rise about 9:10 p.m. local time in the ESE. It takes some time to rise above the clutter on the horizon.

Out of focus!

yes my home on the side of hill looks east & has almost full 180 of horizon view and it was well up by 10pm..
The amazing thing is i'd never had come across this phenomenon before,, sure stars twinkle & planets have hues of color depending on atmosphere of the day but the of the strength of red white blue yellow colors of sirius those 2-3 nites was profound i suspect due to the dark clear cool evening skys we had & even tho the point of light was star sized it took my and family's interest we all 1st thought hmm must be aircraft way off..

yes shame i could not capture it on camera or film as dont have equipment and any attempt gave me just a ridiculous blur spot... so i dug about ytube for example but only wanted to use this vid as all others where sadly claiming UFO planet x etc etc

derwoodii

Senior Member.
almost to the day 2 years later sirius the twin star fooled me again as lay my head down on pillow i could swear aircraft lights in the N east sky out my window moved last nite left to right then stopped and seemed to hover.. Its amazing how it twinkles red green blue..

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Rico "Leaked" Five Eyes Intelligence Report Coronavirus COVID-19 2
Mick West Deer Eyes Reflected in Trail Camera UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
Rory How to Show the Horizon is Below Eye Level, Using Actual Eyes Flat Earth 59
Mick West Eyes in a Cloud [Lens Flare + Panorama Stitching] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Leifer 1959 "Eyes in Outer Space" Disney's futuristic glimpse of geoengeneering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Context: "The Eyes of that Species of Extinct Giants ..." - Abraham Lincoln Quotes Debunked 10
Mick West Debunked: Justin Bieber's Reptilian Eyes Shapeshifting in Court UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 27
N Debunked: Google Mail icon shows linkage to Freemasons Conspiracy Theories 1
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Tom Binney Does my FE Debunk in this case make sense to you guys? Practical Debunking 23
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 27
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
Mick West Fireproof Cabbage, Burning Snow, Flat Earth - Are Some Things too Silly to Debunk? Practical Debunking 7
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
TWCobra Flat earth Debunk-change in apparent altitude of clouds as seen from airliner Flat Earth 2
Mick West An Easy Experiment to Debunk the Flat Earth by Observing the Size of the Sun Flat Earth 55
passionfly1 Lets finally debunk Nico and Marco Kaschuba (video hoaxers) People Debunked 0
Svartbjørn The Solar System.. To Scale (just for fun, nothing to debunk here) General Discussion 0
Mick West What to do about the Flat Earthers? Debunk, or ignore? Flat Earth 238
Critical Thinker Why we debunk and who do we reach. Practical Debunking 2
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
TemplarJLS Can someone debunk this George Washington quote? Quotes Debunked 6
TemplarJLS Some depopulation quotes to debunk? Quotes Debunked 16
Henk001 High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mike Fl Can someone debunk this? Sandy Hook Shooting 100% Fraud Proof in 2 mins. - Photo Time Analysis Sandy Hook 21
Stevan Gvozdenovic Let's debunk my (very simple) perpetuum mobile Science and Pseudoscience 57
M Debunk: The horizon never falling as proof of flat Earth theory Flat Earth 29
WeedWhacker Let's imagine the actual area of the sky, above.... Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Dan Wilson PopSci article claiming to debunk ten GMO myths Health and Quackery 10
Vindog Debunk this [Planes at different altitude and different contrails over France] Contrails and Chemtrails 43
Critical Thinker Gawker article: Why I Write About (and Debunk) the Chemtrail Conspiracy Theory Contrails and Chemtrails 0
W Debunk NASA is proposing spraying stratospheric aerosols. Contrails and Chemtrails 9
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Jeffrey Orling Is there anything about 9/11 left to debunk 9/11 46
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
George B Debunk: Kinder gentler Debunking is better. . . ?? Practical Debunking 38
Noblelox Practical bunk used to debunk Boston Marathon Bombings 18
Alchemist Please Debunk: The Drills (conflicting info from 2 reputable sources) Boston Marathon Bombings 13
Alchemist Debunk This New JFK Information Conspiracy Theories 101
David Fraser Should we debunk "hoax" tragedies with "crisis actors"? Practical Debunking 21
DebunkingShills Orbs: Something the metaJUNK shills just can't debunk. Contrails and Chemtrails 24
Joe Newman There will be widescale rioting after Zimmerman verdict. Debunk, please Conspiracy Theories 256
Mick West Using Campaign Finance Reform to Debunk Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 25
Z please someone debunk this crap Contrails and Chemtrails 15
BlindIdiots Please Debunk WeatherWar101s "Weather War Big Picture" Video Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Related Articles

Related Articles