• MH370 speculation has become excessive recently. Metabunk is not a forum for creating theories by speculation. It's a forum for examining claims, and seeing if they hold up. Please respect this and keep threads on-topic. There are many other forums where speculation is welcome.

MH370: Reports of Debris in Malacca Strait by Elka Athina Oil Tanker

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.bigbreakingnews.com/2014/03/luggage-found-floating-at-sea-possibly.html

Original Greek report: Google Translated:

This is in a very busy area of the Malacca Strait, with lots of other ships:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:95.87773/centery:6.1093/zoom:10/mmsi:240277000

Last edited:

Mark Barrington

I've read speculation that luggage was dumped in order to increase range. As far as I know, that doesn't seem possible to do from the air.

If any luggage is recovered, it should be pretty easy to tell if it's from the missing flight.

This also isn't along the arc from the satellite tracking, but since it's had 8 days to drift, it could have started much closer. This is also very close to the final radar contact.

In any case, until we get more information, this is an interesting lead.

Last edited:

WeedWhacker

As far as I know, that doesn't seem possible to do from the air.
You are entirely correct. Not plausible.

(ETA: Unless of course a cargo door opened in flight, and either an LD container fell out...or if the Bulk hold [Bin 5] door opened)

If any luggage is recovered, it should be pretty easy to tell if it's from the missing flight.
Also highly likely, from the normal baggage ID tags.

Last edited:

Hama Neggs

Senior Member.
I've read speculation that luggage was dumped in order to increase range. As far as I know, that doesn't seem possible to do from the air.

This also isn't along the arc from the satellite tracking, but since it's had 8 days to drift, it could have started much closer. This is also very close to the final radar contact.

In any case, until we get more information, this is an interesting lead.
I believe that arc was a momentary distance measured, somehow, from the satellite - not that the plane was following that arc.

Mark Barrington

I believe that arc was a momentary distance measured, somehow, from the satellite - not that the plane was following that arc.
Understood, but it has been posited that the plane would have gone down somewhere along that arc, since that was the last 'ping' that was received. The line is the 40 degrees from the vertical from the satellite's perspective, combined with information about the range of the jet. Unanswered questions about the plotted arc are: what's the uncertainty in the measurement, and why is there a gap in the middle? And why isn't it symmetrical?

Hama Neggs

Senior Member.
Understood, but it has been posited that the plane would have gone down somewhere along that arc, since that was the last 'ping' that was received. The line is the 40 degrees from the vertical from the satellite's perspective, combined with information about the range of the jet. Unanswered questions about the plotted arc are: what's the uncertainty in the measurement, and why is there a gap in the middle? And why isn't it symmetrical?
Good question. I didn't remember claims that the signal stopped being received on that arc, just that one got received from there.

Mark Barrington

I suppose the asymmetry can be explained by combining the range information with wind data, but it still seems large.

WeedWhacker

Good question. I didn't remember claims that the signal stopped being received on that arc, just that one got received from there.
This article may help:
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/understanding-satellite-pings-tim-farrar

My understanding is these SATs are geo-stationary, and can only measure the distance of the radio signal, not direction.

http://www.inmarsat.com/about-us/our-satellites/

AluminumTheory

Senior Member.
From the article:
The satellite images originated from the Tomnod Project.

I took a screenshot of the area in question and I made an attempt to enhance the object that some speculate might be MH370.

And determined the approximate location in Google Maps.

If it had crashed in that area; it would most likely have been witnessed by someone given all of that sea traffic. I am rather skeptical that the above images are the plane though it appears that it could be one. According to Tomnod, these images were captured on Wednesday, March 12th which was already 4 days after the disappearance and probable crash. I seriously doubt an object this large would stay afloat for all that time.

AluminumTheory

Senior Member.
What does a whale look like on a satellite image?

Don't know. I was wondering that myself so I tried to find some satellite images of whales and I didn't find anything.

Given the fact that there would already have been search efforts going on at the time. I suppose that it could be a submarine.

Mark Barrington

Don't know. I was wondering that myself so I tried to find some satellite images of whales and I didn't find anything.

Given the fact that there would already have been search efforts going on at the time. I suppose that it could be a submarine.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be funny. I was trying to think of things that large that would be in the water and I only thought of ships, whales, and crashed airliners. A submarine at periscope depth was one I didn't consider.

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
There are good questions, and I asked similar ones in the "Speculations" thread...
Hmmm These maps pose (to me) a lot more questions than they answer.
1) The locus of possible locations are exactly along the 40° lines (90° is at the satellite's nadir on the Earth's surface). Is there a margin of error, or is it 40° +/- 0.0°?
2) Why is the spacing of these lines linear from the nadir, and not at wider spacing further away from that point?
3) Why is there a gap between Southern Sumatra and Northern Thailand?
4) Why is the northern arc longer than the southern one?
5) Are all points in the red arcs equally likely as being the last contact, or does the probability vary along that locus?
6) Has other data and considerations been used to filter this satellite data?

And, absolutely yes, the locus of the previous pings (and their probability density functions) would be very interesting, and probably very revealing.
OK, so reading through the Tim Farrar article, these questions can be answered.
1) The margin of error is likely 100 (nautical?) miles (185 km).
2) The circles are labeled in degrees of latitude from the nadir of the satellite - I deduced that from inspection of the map and knowing the geography a bit.
3 4 6) The arcs have been trimmed after consideration of other data.
5) The remaining points on those loci are probably equally likely.

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
What I've picked up is that the greek tanker was only told to watch for possible debris, and the translation made it appear more certain than it actually was, plus it's no longer anywhere near that position and nothing has come of it.

Soulfly

Banned
Banned
What does a whale look like on a satellite image?
To be more precise, what does a dead whale look like on a satellite image? :eek:
http://live.china.org.cn/2014/03/24/chinese-aircraft-spots-suspicious-objects/

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Joe Flight MH370: China reports possible debris observed Flight MH370 51
Mechanik Plane Image on Google Maps in Cambodia - MH370 Speculation Flight MH370 10
vooke ATSB Final Report on #MH370 Flight MH370 1
vooke Towed #MH370 Search Sonar Vehicle lost Flight MH370 5
Mick West Debunked: MH370: Daily Mail claims new sonar images indicate aircraft debris Flight MH370 3
derwoodii Possible MH370 Debris found on Reunion Island Flight MH370 86
S Bruce Robertson's MH370 Theory Flight MH370 35
ddddddddd Debunked: Photo of '777' transported in jungle [Old 737] Flight MH370 2
Trailspotter Strange cloud formation in South Indian Ocean Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Stevan Gvozdenovic Claim: MH370 contrails have been identified Flight MH370 5
Qualiall Malaysian Transport Ministry's first-year report (released March 8th 2015) Flight MH370 4
derwoodii Jeff Wise's new MH370 theory Flight MH370 102
Dechelski Marc Dugain's theory.... thoughts? Flight MH370 10
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
Simon Gunson MH370 Radar sighting in Straits of Malacca debunked Flight MH370 30
zebra100 JAAC- New MH370 Underwater Search Area Definition Flight MH370 60
Mick West Missing African Plane N9784L is a Small Prop Plane, not a Boeing 737, nothing like MH370 General Discussion 17
Josh Heuer Flight mh370 independent group's new search location Flight MH370 8
MikeC Noise record of MH370's crash? Flight MH370 11
zebra100 Newest Sighting of MH370 in Bengal Bay & Andaman Sea Area Flight MH370 12
vooke Inmarsat MH370 Raw Data Released [Unlocked, XLSX, CSV] Flight MH370 28
vooke Debunked: Tim Ackers MH370 Debris Claims Flight MH370 15
Mick West MH370 Preliminary Report Released - Full Text and Files Flight MH370 186
derwoodii Debunked: Exploration company "Georesonance" believes it may have found MH370 Flight MH370 572
M Claim: MH370 "thrown around like fighter jet in a bid to avoid radar source"? [Dubious] Flight MH370 11
Mick West Debunked: MH370 call exposing 9/11 cover-up? 9/11 5
Balance Debunked: MH370 Passenger Philip Wood sends Photo/Text from Diego Garcia [Fake EXIF GPS Data] Flight MH370 142
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
David Fraser Explained: Search plane in MH370 filmed spraying over Indian Ocean [Fuel dump] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
cjnewson88 MH370 "Clone" being held by Israel? Conspiracy Theories 74
Balance CT Rothschild inherits Freescale Patent from loss of MH370 Conspiracy Theories 5
Mick West MH370: How the AAIB and Inmarsat determined the southern trajectory Flight MH370 55
Mick West MH370: Debunked: Tomnod image of plane in jungle Flight MH370 13
Mick West MH370: Five Indian Ocean Runways found in Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah’s flight simulator Flight MH370 12
WeedWhacker MH370: Report of Jet flying over Maldives Island Kudahuvadhoo Flight MH370 86
PCWilliams Debunked: MH370. Airport security photos photoshopped? [Photocopier mishap] Conspiracy Theories 13
Rusty Far Eye flight MH370 Sorcha Faal Hoax Story Conspiracy Theories 5
Pete Tar MH370: Debunked: Image of plane over Andaman Islands on Mapbox Map Flight MH370 36
Mick West MH370: Missing Passengers, Seating, Standby Passengers, Cargo? Flight MH370 9
derwoodii Flight MH370: Oil Rig Worker Mike McKay claims to spot plane crashing near Vietnam Flight MH370 50
Melbury's Brick Flight MH370 Depressurization Scenarios Flight MH370 117
TWCobra Flight MH370 Speculation Flight MH370 1227
Soulfly Flight MH370 missing - Two passengers board with false ID Flight MH370 48
Scaramanga A Fact You Almost Never Read In Reports Of The Rendlesham 'UFO' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Jedo How can we interpret witness reports of buckling? 9/11 5
benthamitemetric Other WTC7 Investigations: Aegis Insurance v. 7 World Trade Company Expert Reports 9/11 39
Bruce Lansberg Dutch Safety Board publish reports on MH17 crash, Tuesday Oct 13 Flight MH17 14
deirdre Searchable State Police Report and OFFICIAL reports/press releases Sandy Hook 3
Rroval Reports of UFO Sightings Across California Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Debunked: CNNs Fake News Broadcasts - Charles Jaco and the Fake Live Gulf War Reports Conspiracy Theories 222
Related Articles

Related Articles