MERS Virus conspiracy theories?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The MERS virus is a potentially very serious new virus that has been discovered in the Middle East, so far 51 people have been confirmed infected, and 30 of them died. That means that over half the people who catch the virus have died. If it becomes more widespread, it could kill millions. Or it might do very little, like SARS. But right now people are sounding the alarm

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/31/opinion/garrett-mers-virus/index.html?hpt=hp_t5
The head of the World Health Organization warned the world this week of a new virus, awkwardly dubbed MERS-CoV, found in Saudi Arabia.
"Looking at the overall global situation, my greatest concern right now is the novel coronavirus," Margaret Chan said, calling it "a threat to the entire world."
"We understand too little about this virus when viewed against the magnitude of its potential threat," the director general said in her closing speech to the 66th session of the World Health Assembly. "Any new disease that is emerging faster than our understanding is never under control.
"These are alarm bells and we must respond. The novel coronavirus is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself."
Content from External Source
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...may-be-needed-with-new-deadly-mers-virus?lite
A detailed look at two cases of a deadly new respiratory virus called MERS suggests people who have the disease should be isolated for at least 12 days to avoid spreading it, French doctors reported Wednesday.
The new respiratory infection was first seen in the Middle East and so far has sickened more than 40 people worldwide, killing about half of them.
The conspiracy theories that will grow up around this are of two types:

A) It does not exist, and is just a big false flag operation to get people into quarantine, or FEMA camps.
B) It exists, but it's man made, and designed to think the population down. The elite will have the antidote.

The story also has some natural conspiracy ingredients. MERS was discovered in the Middle East, specifically in Saudi Arabia, the country where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from, and a country that is often implicated in high level conspiracies, particularly with the Bush family, but more generally in the world of corporate oil.

I'm actually surprised that there are not really any significant theories out they yet. Just a few mutterings in odd forums. I think this is simply because it has not really got the attention of the mainstream media. Only when that happens will the conspiracy theorists start to think that there's something fake, and that whatever the MSM is saying, the opposite must be true.

The conspiracy theories that will grow up around this are of two types:

A) It does not exist, and is just a big false flag operation to get people into quarantine, or FEMA camps.
B) It exists, but it's man made, and designed to think the population down. The elite will have the antidote.

The story also has some natural conspiracy ingredients. MERS was discovered in the Middle East, specifically in Saudi Arabia, the country where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from, and a country that is often implicated in high level conspiracies, particularly with the Bush family, but more generally in the world of corporate oil.

I'm actually surprised that there are not really any significant theories out they yet. Just a few mutterings in odd forums. I think this is simply because it has not really got the attention of the mainstream media. Only when that happens will the conspiracy theorists start to think that there's something fake, and that whatever the MSM is saying, the opposite must be true.
whatever the MSM is saying, the opposite must be true.
exactly why they start in the first place . Saudi ? HMM ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No i was saying conspiracies start because nobody believes the MSM anymore .

The thing is now, it's automatic. EVERY big news story is viewed as a conspiracy. Some people are not looking for reality any more, it's more "how can I make this look like a conspiracy".

And I'm afraid I have to include Beck in that group some of the time.

Sometimes a coronavirus is just a coronavirus.

The thing is now, it's automatic. EVERY big news story is viewed as a conspiracy. Some people are not looking for reality any more, it's more "how can I make this look like a conspiracy".

And I'm afraid I have to include Beck in that group some of the time.

Sometimes a coronavirus is just a coronavirus.
You can include any one you like from your perspective I can Understand why you would say that . I wouldnt Say he is a Alex Jones but even ill agree he does go off at times . That said I do agree with a lot he says . Thank the internet for more and more conspiracies .

Nothing on Infowars just yet, although to be fair it's Bilderburg week, so Jones is probably rather distracted.

No i was saying conspiracies start because nobody believes the MSM anymore . The Saudi reference was a joke :)

REally? Then everyone thinks everything reported in the media is a lie? Is that what you are saying? Everyone. And there is absolutely nothing that the media reports that is true, correct?

Nothing on Infowars just yet, although to be fair it's Bilderburg week, so Jones is probably rather distracted.

Yes, I did not think about that. Bilderburg is a huge publicity boost for Jones, especially given his current MSM bump. The virus will have to wait.

Looking at the search trends, it's rising rapidly, but still below "chemtrails", so it's not really made enough of an impact for the conpiracy culture to become aware of it.

Last edited:
Looking at the search trends, it's rising rapidly, but still below "chemtrails", so it's not really made enough of an impact for the conpiracy culture to become aware of it.

Maybe I should do a YT Video on it and cash in on it ? :)

REally? Then everyone thinks everything reported in the media is a lie? Is that what you are saying? Everyone. And there is absolutely nothing that the media reports that is true, correct?

Guess it's just you believing then :cool:

Yes, I did not think about that. Bilderburg is a huge publicity boost for Jones, especially given his current MSM bump. The virus will have to wait.

It is rather unusual for Alex to pass up the opportunity to pre maturely over sensationalize something. I suppose that keeping his audience informed is less important than Bilderberg.

• I'm guessing that his excuse will be something along the lines of "I was waiting for more evidence to see whether this was just a hoax or the real deal" even though he almost never hesitates to speculate or wait for evidence. It took him 40 minutes to call the Boston Bombing a false flag.
  • I also predict that Alex will dig up some old clip of him making claims that viruses will be engineered to use against us out of the 1,000 or so clips where he makes the very same or similar prediction.
  • He will have a psuedo science montage ready for his viewers that 'proves' that MERS was made by the NWO.

We'll see if I know Alex Jones as well as I think I do.

This thread is seeing an increase in views, with the recent spread of MERS to other countries. More conspiracy theories are sure to follow.

Yes, the CDC has confirmed 2 cases in the US, on 5/2 (news reports say Indiana) and 5/11 (news reports say Florida).
http://www.cdc.gov/CORONAVIRUS/MERS/INDEX.HTML

They're unrelated cases, both folks were in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia) and came to the states with it. Seems like neither person has spread it and it was taken care of.

Must be part of some massive global conspiracy huh :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27403691

The World Health Organization has been meeting to decide whether to declare a public health emergency after a sudden spike in cases of a deadly virus known as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or Mers.

The flu-like virus has killed at least 150 people since it first emerged in Saudi Arabia two years ago.

There have also been cases in Europe and most recently the US.

Tulip Mazumdar reports.

Something to keep in mind about these cases of MERS is that this particular virus does not seem to be able to spread very efficiently in the environment. Close contact with an infected person or animal seems to be necessary for infection. That's not to say we don't need to worry about it, but it's good to understand the threat for what it is. Compared to SARS, it is not as dangerous of a virus. Not yet, at least.

http://www.popsci.com/article/scien...con=cdc-confirms-first-case-of-mers-within-us
Both are virulent; SARS had an overall mortality rate of 15 percent, and greater than 50 percent in those aged 65 and older. MERS, which was identified in the Middle East in 2012, so far has an estimated mortality rate of 30 percent. Of around 400 known cases of MERS to date, over 100 people have died. But this number may change as more cases are identified, particularly those where there are no visible symptoms.
http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/under-microscope/mers-may-be-concern-it’s-not-sars

The two people in the US have much in common and there should have been better screening of these people before they travel anywhere
http://www.boston.com/health/2014/0...-mers-virus/TsPBBU8ppurNGWBSfSNGEP/story.html

The virus has reached the US

The CDC has confirmed two people in the US were infected with the virus, both of whom were healthcare workers traveling from Saudi Arabia. The first case was identified on May 2 in Indiana, and has since been treated and released from the hospital. The second case was confirmed in Florida on May 11. The Florida traveler made a stop at Boston’s Logan Airport before before arriving in Orlando, Fla. However, the Massachusetts Public Health Department says there’s very low concern that the virus has spread to the state but have notified flight passengers as a precaution.

MERS is highly contagious and spreading fast

MERS spreads when a person comes in close contact with someone who has the virus, according to the CDC. However, it’s hard to tell who is the most susceptible to the virus. Cases have been confirmed in 18 countries around the world, including the US. Twenty healthcare workers in Orlando, Fla. may have been exposed to the virus while treating the hospitalized MERS patient. So far, two of the healthcare workers who fell ill have tested negative for the virus.

The two people in the US have much in common and there should have been better screening of these people before they travel anywhere
http://www.boston.com/health/2014/0...-mers-virus/TsPBBU8ppurNGWBSfSNGEP/story.html

The virus has reached the US

The CDC has confirmed two people in the US were infected with the virus, both of whom were healthcare workers traveling from Saudi Arabia. The first case was identified on May 2 in Indiana, and has since been treated and released from the hospital. The second case was confirmed in Florida on May 11. The Florida traveler made a stop at Boston’s Logan Airport before before arriving in Orlando, Fla. However, the Massachusetts Public Health Department says there’s very low concern that the virus has spread to the state but have notified flight passengers as a precaution.

MERS is highly contagious and spreading fast

MERS spreads when a person comes in close contact with someone who has the virus, according to the CDC. However, it’s hard to tell who is the most susceptible to the virus. Cases have been confirmed in 18 countries around the world, including the US. Twenty healthcare workers in Orlando, Fla. may have been exposed to the virus while treating the hospitalized MERS patient. So far, two of the healthcare workers who fell ill have tested negative for the virus.

Erm... o_O

Confusing wording, indeed. We know that the virus doesn't spread very efficiently but it is very contagious with close contact to infected animals or humans. Not everyone getting sick in an epidemic will have what is causing the epidemic. Simple statistics say that some people will always be sick for normal reasons.

But of a puff piece there. Pity, as the author, Lara Salahi, has a masters degree in "Health Communications".
http://www.larasalahi.com/about.html
She writes for the weekly "Be Well" section of the Boston Globe which analyzes the latest scientific studies to offer a brief and simple look at the findings and what it means for you.
Unfortunately it's this kind of confusing coverage that's going to drive the popularity of the story, as people often just read the headlines, and not the details. And even then, if they conflict, they will believe the headlines. So the take-away from her piece is "OMG 30% of Americans will die!!!!!"

Don't you complain about excess screening while traveling? Seems hypocritical of you to want extra screening for one potentially dangerous thing but not another.

Don't you complain about excess screening while traveling? Seems hypocritical of you to want extra screening for one potentially dangerous thing but not another.
Yes I do . But if someones is coming from the host country of a sickness who works in healthcare Id expect some extra scrutiny . The same with Ebola countries . Diseases could kill far more than any terrorist . Hmm "If I were a terrorist would I give my life to infect hundreds with a deadly illness " ? So lets keep looking at their shoes and underwear ?

Yes I do . But if someones is coming from the host country of a sickness who works in healthcare Id expect some extra scrutiny . The same with Ebola countries . Diseases could kill far more than any terrorist . Hmm "If I were a terrorist would I give my life to infect hundreds with a deadly illness " ? So lets keep looking at their shoes and underwear ?
Selective screening sounds discriminatory if you ask me. If screening is going to take place in order to prevent the spread of infectious disease then shouldn't we screen everyone entering and leaving? Is America somehow immune to spreading infectious disease?

Selective screening sounds discriminatory if you ask me. If screening is going to take place in order to prevent the spread of infectious disease then shouldn't we screen everyone entering and leaving? Is America somehow immune to spreading infectious disease?
I agree but these were Healthcare workers who worked with patients with MERS
The new patient worked at a Jiddah hospital that was treating MERS cases.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...88197c-d9f0-11e3-b745-87d39690c5c0_story.html

That would still require screening every passenger on the plane and not just one person.
Well the person themselves should have known better . Or was afraid and came here for the medical care ? So we search for weapons when a disease could be a weapon itself ? Then its worthless to search anybody for anything ?

As a basic "point of order", here:

ANYONE can accidentally be carrying some sort of contagious disease, when traveling. They are microbes. We are not always immediately aware, and even those people who enter into "dangerous" areas take appropriate precautions. However, even the best intentions do not amount to 100% effectiveness.

Well the person themselves should have known better . Or was afraid and came here for the medical care ? So we search for weapons when a disease could be a weapon itself ? Then its worthless to search anybody for anything ?
How do you determine which of "these people" (your words) need to have extra screening?

How do you determine which of "these people" (your words) need to have extra screening?

Years ago, at my semi-annual FAA Medical, I mentioned to the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) that I was picking up a lot of trips to South America...Peru, Bolivia, etc...and he piped up with "You have to have these inoculations for..." and rattled off a few...Yellow Fever is one that I recall.

Well, I didn't bother....and I never caught any of the horrible ailments that this good Dr. was so concerned about. Of course, as a child, I received all of the various injections of the time (1950s).

So? What's to take from this? Perhaps over-reaction, in some instances?

Years ago, at my semi-annual FAA Medical, I mentioned to the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) that I was picking up a lot of trips to South America...Peru, Bolivia, etc...and he piped up with "You have to have these inoculations for..." and rattled off a few...Yellow Fever is one that I recall.

Well, I didn't bother....and I never caught any of the horrible ailments that this good Dr. was so concerned about. Of course, as a child, I received all of the various injections of the time (1950s).

So? What's to take from this? Perhaps over-reaction, in some instances?
My point is only that if you're going to have increased screening to prevent diseases from spreading as the result of air travel, then it really isn't going to be effective unless everyone is screened.

My point is only that if you're going to have increased screening to prevent diseases from spreading as the result of air travel, then it really isn't going to be effective unless everyone is screened.

@Joe is right. There is a precedent for selective screening. In the nineties I vacationed a lot in Europe. When I returned to the US one of the questions I was asked (on an entry card) was whether I'd been to the UK and if yes if if I had been on a farm. The issue then was Mad Cow Disease.

Back