Linear Clouds in Old Painting

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Soda Springs, Sierra Nevada Mountains. Norton Bush 1868

In a visit to the wonderful Crocker Museum in Sacramento I saw a couple of paintings,both over 100 years old that had linear clouds in them. The type of clouds that might be mistaken for contrails or "chemtrails".

Crests of the Sierra, Charles Dormon Robinson, 1909 (detail)

Old paintings like these are useful in demonstrating that the sky has not in fact changed recently, and also that not every linear cloud you see is a contrail (or a "chemtrail").

I just took the above photos with my iPhone. If you happen to see similar in an art gallery or museum, then take a snap, and post it here.

Henk001

Senior Member.
Old paintings like these are useful in demonstrating that the sky has not in fact changed recently, and also that not every linear cloud you see is a contrail (or a "chemtrail").
Or perhaps these paintings show that in earlier times aliens were flying around in jetplanes.:)

Whitebeard

Senior Member.
Wow you guys got out to your local art galleries quick!
Going to my local gallery next week, the one I posted are from a few collections I'm familiar with (Done the Birmingham City Gallery and the Tate Britain so far) from their on line collections.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Wow you guys got out to your local art galleries quick!
No, I've been browsing online catalogues of Russian galleries, in particular, the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Linear clouds in this 1852 painting of the Smolny Convent near St. Petersburg apparently form a 'contrail' grid ;)

Here is a 1850 painting of St. Petersburg by the same artist, Alexey Bogolyubov:

Apparently, linear non-contrail clouds were fairly common at the Baltic Sea at the time, as they are now.

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
This one says Mt. Shasta :0
c.PNG

a.PNG

Attachments

• b.PNG
    b.PNG
    358.4 KB · Views: 166

M Bornong

Senior Member.

I also posted this in the Pre 1995 Persistent Contrail Archive. https://www.metabunk.org/pre-1995-persistent-contrail-archive.t487/page-5#post-71179

I took this from the book: "The Soul of All Scenery: A History of the Sky in Art" by Stan Gedzleman. http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~stan/skyart.html

With more than just cirrus clouds now being used as "proof" of geoengineering and or HAARP manipulation, I have used this book many times to show how little our skies have changed over the centuries that man has been recording them.

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
Well I did go to a museum. :p Unfortunately my photos didn't come out well thanks to lighting and glare. :(

Here's one I tried to photograph. Solitude by John Martin 1846

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Trailblazer Identified: linear clouds seen from Virgin Australia flight ['morning glory'] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Convert Graph Image from Log Scale to Linear Scale Tools for Investigating and Debunking 0
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Trailspotter Striped linear cloud over Norfolk, England (Kelvin-Helmgoltz cloud) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
I Moon moving "faster" than clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mendel Debunked: Radar Waves Affect Clouds General Discussion 0
Mick West Bright Light that "goes from the ocean to the clouds" [Plane] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Marin B Climate scientist on man-made clouds General Discussion 0
Mick West Structures in The gulf Of Mexico Appearing to make Waves in Clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
Mick West Criss-Cross Clouds Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West A Slightly Square Cloud South of Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West There Are No New Clouds, Just New Latin Classifications Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Hole Punch Clouds, Canal Clouds, and Fallstreak Holes Through History Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Inti Constable oil sketch of clouds from 1822 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
TWCobra Flat earth Debunk-change in apparent altitude of clouds as seen from airliner Flat Earth 2
cmnit Foamy "clouds" on the ground in Doukkala, Morocco General Discussion 4
Balance Rare. Polar Stratospheric Clouds over UK Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 22
JesseCuster Stripey clouds and the Brunt-Vaisala frequency Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Explained: "Iron Giant Robot" Walking on Clouds [Cooling Towers Plumes} Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West Explained: Why Clouds Appear Behind the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 58
skephu Parallel lines of clouds (Virginia Beach) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Fallstreak Canal Clouds Crossing in Trussville, Alabama Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Chew Explained: UFO CAPTURED In Airplane above the clouds! WHAT IS THIS? [Air France 747] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West Explained: Strange Clouds over Costa Rica [Cumulonimbus Pileus & Iridescence] General Discussion 14
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Tropical Clouds on Parade Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailspotter The skies from above and below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 22
D [NeedInfo]Persistent Contrails Picture Show Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Trailspotter Giant "distrail" across England Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
JesseCuster Satellite photos of clouds Practical Debunking 3
deirdre Madison Moonstar's Fake clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Hama Neggs Cross in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Mick West Time Lapse Videos of the Sky (that you took yourself) Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 49
Joe Square Cornered Clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
A Dr. Kirkby 2009 CERN presentation: "Clouds Seeded by Jets" [Misunderstanding by Chemtrail Theorists] Contrails and Chemtrails 28
Trailblazer Jellyfish clouds over South Australia (altocumulus floccus) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
skephu Intersecting cloud ripples Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Henk001 High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Marine0811 Do contrails form around low level clouds? [Generally not] Contrails and Chemtrails 124
H2meloen Clouds formed when they should not? Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Mick West Above or Below: How to tell if a contrail is above or below a cloud layer Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Zane O'Neill What chemicals are in these clouds? [Water, they are Iridescent clouds] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West Debunking "Contrails don't Persist" with a Study of 70 Years of Books on Clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 98
MikeC New Zealand chemtrail believers confused by storm clouds.... Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Related Articles

Related Articles