Let's debunk my (very simple) perpetuum mobile

I know there must be a flaw somewhere but I can't find it so let's do it together.

It's based on changing density of object in water(or some other liquid for that matter).

Energy.JPG

here you can see a bigger ball which, when empty, has less density than water and thus floats, but in this case it's full of smaller balls (all of those are also less dense than water) which make the big ball denser than water thus it sinks, pulling the string connected to coil outside of the water tank which is then rotated and energy is produced

so when the ball reaches the bottom, a sensor activates its opening (via internal hatch or somehow else) and this is what happens

Energy1.JPG

all objects in the rectangle are now less dense than water and they all go up to the surface

then we have the next situation

Energy2.JPG
when they all come to the surface, the big empty ball is lifted and only smaller balls are staying on the surface, they are collected with some type of shovel (marked with line S) lifted and put into the big ball, the big ball is then disconnected from the "roof" and we are back at the picture 1, rinse and repeat

I can't prove if energy created would be enough for lifting the big ball to the roof and putting small balls into the big ball but I can't prove it wouldn't be either.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
a bigger ball which, when empty, has less density than water and thus floats, but in this case it's full of smaller balls (all of those are also less dense than water) which make the big ball denser than water thus it sinks
The only way adding the small balls to a big ball (let's call that the "ship) would make it more dense than water is if the ship were originally filled with air (which you are not replacing with more dense balls).

If it's filled with water, then adding the small balls would make the total LESS dense (like adding pingpong balls to an underwater ship)

If it's filled with air, then you can get it to sink by adding small balls through a small hatch in the top, but then when you release them at the bottom, then you'd fill the "ship" with water (at the very minimum replacing the volume of a ball with the same volume of water) , and it will not float to the top.

If the ship is buoyant when filled with water, then adding balls will displace the water and make it more buoyant.

well yes it's originally filled with air, like an empty football, then it's split open, filled with small balls and then closed

at the bottom when it gets open it gets "split" so it's not ball-shaped(I haven't spent more than a minute for those drawings heh), just an object made from material less dense than water (imagine two halves of one ball connected only at the bottom, freely moving through water)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
well yes it's originally filled with air, like an empty football, then it's split open, filled with small balls and then closed

at the bottom when it gets open it gets "split" so it's not ball-shaped(I haven't spent more than a minute for those drawings heh), just an object made from material less dense than water (imagine two halves of one ball connected only at the bottom, freely moving through water)
If it's made from a material less dense than water then it would not sink.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Draw a circle around the combined "object" (ship + balls). What is the average density of the contents of that circle?

Unless there is some material in that object that is more dense than water, then the circle will not sink.

And you also need to counteract anything that is less dense than water.

Imagine a styrofoam cooler. It floats. If you add more styrofoam to it it's not going to sink. You have to fill it with bricks.

umm OK let's not get that far, imagine 1 liter ball weighing 900g, it has 900g/l density, it floats because water has density of 1000g/l

now if you fill that ball with 200g of small balls then it will have 1100g/l and it will sink, no?

WeedWhacker

I still think there is that old "nemesis".....friction. Also, water has a surface tension which will rob energy from the system.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
umm OK let's not get that far, imagine 1 liter ball weighing 900g, it has 900g/l density, it floats because water has density of 1000g/l

now if you fill that ball with 200g of small balls then it will have 1100g/l and it will sink, no?
No. The average density (of the entire composite object) is still less than water.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I still think there is that old "nemesis".....friction. Also, water has a surface tension which will rob energy from the system.
Nothing to do with the root problem here though. Friction would rob energy, but there's no extra energy to rob anyway.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It might be simpler for you to realize the problem if you consider the entire experiment conducted underwater, to remove the confusing factor of air.

WeedWhacker

Isn't the effect of gravity imparting some energy in this thought model? What would happen in a free-fall/micro-gravity environment?

well of course there would be some losses here and there, as in "conventional" machines too, the question is why would they have to be bigger than gains

No. The average density is still less than water.
nope, imagine it again and you will see, empty ball has 900 g/l density, filled one has 1100 g/l density, there is a big difference if it's only air in the ball or some heavier stuff

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
nope, imagine it again and you will see, empty ball has 900 g/l density, filled one has 1100 g/l density, there is a big difference if it's only air in the ball or some heavier stuff
Before: Ball + water
After: Ball + small balls + water - (volume of water equal to small balls)

The "After" has a smaller density.

You are thinking of "the ball", but part of what you are saying refers to the composite object, and part just to the material in the ball.

NoParty

Senior Member.
I began thinking it was another doomed perpetual motion device.

Now I'm 50% sure it's headed towards a punchline
that involves the terms "friction," and "small balls"

oh there is the flaw :D now if only it could be possible to kick the small balls out at the bottom without water entering in, but I doubt water pressure would allow it

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
When I was young I invented a perpetual motion machine. It's a 1km tall pipe filled with water. You have a door at the bottom, and you open it and insert a large wooden ball. The ball floats to the top. You then take the ball and put it on some conveyor type thing that turns a generator as the ball descends to the bottom. Repeat. Infinite free energy.

Your idea reminded me of that. :)

WeedWhacker

It's a 1km tall pipe filled with water. You have a door at the bottom, and you open it and insert a large wooden ball.
Hmmmm.....OK. You open a door at the bottom, and somehow keep one kilometer of water above not rushing out? (Takes a bit of "energy" to accomplish, no?).

Creative, but now.....how do we extract any usefulness from it? In terms of, say....electrical power generation?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The thing about all these mechanical free-energy devices is that they can't possibly work. So the fun is all in figuring out how.

@veproject1 has a lot of cool videos of things he made along these lines. I banned him a while back as his videos were confusing people as they kept thinking they were genuine claims and he didn't want to fess up. I'll lift the ban for now, see if he feels like coming back.

NoParty

Senior Member.
When I was young I invented a perpetual motion machine. It's a 1km tall pipe filled with water. You have a door at the bottom, and you open it and insert a large wooden ball. The ball floats to the top. You then take the ball and put it on some conveyor type thing that turns a generator as the ball descends to the bottom. Repeat. Infinite free energy.

Your idea reminded me of that. :)

My god! I bought a device in February that looks identical to this drawing, from the good folks at Fix The World!!

And after just 2
($300) phone calls we got the top ball-loader sorted, and after just 3 more ($300) calls
the "metal plate/hatch assembly" is nearly trouble free.
Currently rockin' .83 unity, but overunity a certainty by Thanksgiving!

(I already cancelled my power company service!)

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
If you sealed the top when the hatch below opens, would the water be held in place like with a straw?

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
N Debunked: Google Mail icon shows linkage to Freemasons Conspiracy Theories 4
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Tom Binney Does my FE Debunk in this case make sense to you guys? Practical Debunking 23
derwoodii My eyes deceived me so I had to debunk myself Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 28
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
Mick West Fireproof Cabbage, Burning Snow, Flat Earth - Are Some Things too Silly to Debunk? Practical Debunking 7
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
TWCobra Flat earth Debunk-change in apparent altitude of clouds as seen from airliner Flat Earth 2
Mick West An Easy Experiment to Debunk the Flat Earth by Observing the Size of the Sun Flat Earth 55
passionfly1 Lets finally debunk Nico and Marco Kaschuba (video hoaxers) People Debunked 0
Svartbjørn The Solar System.. To Scale (just for fun, nothing to debunk here) General Discussion 0
Mick West What to do about the Flat Earthers? Debunk, or ignore? Flat Earth 238
Critical Thinker Why we debunk and who do we reach. Practical Debunking 2
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
TemplarJLS Can someone debunk this George Washington quote? Quotes Debunked 6
TemplarJLS Some depopulation quotes to debunk? Quotes Debunked 16
Henk001 High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mike Fl Can someone debunk this? Sandy Hook Shooting 100% Fraud Proof in 2 mins. - Photo Time Analysis Sandy Hook 21
M Debunk: The horizon never falling as proof of flat Earth theory Flat Earth 29
WeedWhacker Let's imagine the actual area of the sky, above.... Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Dan Wilson PopSci article claiming to debunk ten GMO myths Health and Quackery 10
Vindog Debunk this [Planes at different altitude and different contrails over France] Contrails and Chemtrails 43
Critical Thinker Gawker article: Why I Write About (and Debunk) the Chemtrail Conspiracy Theory Contrails and Chemtrails 0
W Debunk NASA is proposing spraying stratospheric aerosols. Contrails and Chemtrails 9
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Jeffrey Orling Is there anything about 9/11 left to debunk 9/11 46
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
George B Debunk: Kinder gentler Debunking is better. . . ?? Practical Debunking 38
Noblelox Practical bunk used to debunk Boston Marathon Bombings 18
Alchemist Please Debunk: The Drills (conflicting info from 2 reputable sources) Boston Marathon Bombings 13
Alchemist Debunk This New JFK Information Conspiracy Theories 101
David Fraser Should we debunk "hoax" tragedies with "crisis actors"? Practical Debunking 21
DebunkingShills Orbs: Something the metaJUNK shills just can't debunk. Contrails and Chemtrails 24
Joe Newman There will be widescale rioting after Zimmerman verdict. Debunk, please Conspiracy Theories 256
Mick West Using Campaign Finance Reform to Debunk Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 25
Z please someone debunk this crap Contrails and Chemtrails 15
BlindIdiots Please Debunk WeatherWar101s "Weather War Big Picture" Video Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Soulfly DOJ investigation of the AP debunk the government controlling the media? General Discussion 0
Oxymoron Easy WTC 7 Video to Debunk 9/11 2
sgirl Col. Richard French of the USAF States his Job was to Debunk UFOs - Citizen Hearing Conspiracy Theories 6
N Little help to debunk clouds with color Practical Debunking 2
Rroval Debunk: imgur: "Boston Truth Revealed" Boston Marathon Bombings 84
Drew Debunk: Saudi National Linked Boston Marathon Bombings 5
George B Debunk . . . intuition can save your life or prevent considerable pain and suffering General Discussion 43
newportrojan Can someone debunk Vigilant Citizen? Conspiracy Theories 344
Related Articles

Related Articles