Legal implications of conspiracy belief.

David Fraser

Senior Member.
Back in 2013 an off duty soldier, Lee Rigby, was attacked and killed near his barracks in the UK. The 2 culprits claimed it was a case of jihad. However so conspiracy theorists claimed it was a false flag with one going so far as to claim that it never happened and Lee Rigby was never killed. A major instigator of this belief was a certain Christopher Spivey, who went so far as to harass the family of the soldier with his claims. However Spivey recently was prosecuted for his harassment and received a 6 month sentence, suspended for 2 years (a suspended sentence means if he appears before the court over the 2 years he will have to serve his time). Also he has a been placed under a restraining order not to discuss the killing over the internet.

A sentencing hearing today heard that Spivey continues to protest his innocence and stands by the claims.

Sentencing him to six months in prison suspended for two years, District Judge John Woollard said: 'I have been a district judge for 17 years and very rarely I come across conspiracy theorists like you.

'Experience tells me it's pointless telling you you are wrong because you believe I am part of the conspiracy.

'You totally fail to accept that what you were doing had a profound and shattering effect on the family.

'They had been thrust into the public eye and were bereaved in a terrible way and then they're contacted by somebody like you making the most ridiculous comments and claims.

'All because sitting in your bedroom in Rochford you come to the conclusion that MI5 and various other organisations are conspiring to mislead the public.

'You will be convinced until you die that you are right and everyone else is wrong.'

The judge also made Spivey subject to a restraining order banning him from posting on blogs or social media and contacting Fusilier Rigby's family.
Content from External Source
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-spared-jail-harassing-soldier-s-family.html

I don't know how other nations approach this situation but it is the first time I have heard of there been a prosecution like this.

There was David Truelove, who stole the memorial signs. I think he made a phone call to one of the mothers also? Maybe that was someone else. I was not able to find if Truelove stood trial though.

There was David Truelove, who stole the memorial signs. I think he made a phone call to one of the mothers also? Maybe that was someone else. I was not able to find if Truelove stood trial though.
He got jail time but its hard to tell what piece of the sentence was for harrassment because it sounds like he had priors AND he had stolen merchandise charge for taking the sign.

Andrew David Truelove is currently spending jail time in Virginia in connection with the theft of the sign identifying the Grace McDonnell Memorial Playground in Mystic.

On Aug. 8, Truelove was found guilty of possession of stolen property worth more than $200 in Fairfax County District Court in Virginia. According to Herndon Police Department Public Information Officer Lt. Michael Berg, the charge was a misdemeanor and he was sentenced to 12 months in prison, with four months suspended.

“He is also facing additional, unrelated charges,” Berg said Friday.

Over the last two years, Truelove has accumulated 15 charges, nine of which span from March 2014 to the present.

The charges vary in severity, from trespassing and disorderly conduct, to destruction of property and malicious shooting or throwing at a train or car, according to the state’s online database.

A kid named Jonathon Reich kinda got the same. Cant remember if he got probation, but im thinking he did. He was (at least temporarily) ordered to not post online and 17 month probation (well, according to the Hoaxers.. so who knows) etc.

He was able to hire good lawyers so i'm pretty sure (based on how things work in Connecticut) he got probation and had to talk to psychiatrist (which basically everyone in Connecticut has to do if you appear before a judge).

add: yea this kid got probation too and we know from previous news he had to talk to a psychiatrist too.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A Connecticut man won't serve prison time for making harassing calls to Newtown schools claiming the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School was fabricated.

Thirty-year-old Timothy Rogalski of Wallingford received a suspended sentence Friday in Bridgeport Superior Court and was ordered to have no further contact with the schools. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/05/08/us/ap-us-newtown-shooting-harassment.html?_r=0

Back