James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) Closes LA Office, President Leaves.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
A surprise announcement from JREF:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/jref-news/2392-los-angeles-office-closed.html
Besides James Randi himself, JREF is best known for the Million Dollar Challenge (where people get a million dollars if they can scientifically demonstrate something paranormal, The Amazing Meeting (TAM, a skeptical conference in Las Vegas), and (to my mind) the very busy JREF Forum (which JREF recently announced they were transferring ownership of to a third party).

This seems like it is the end of an era for JREF, and it will be interesting to see what comes of it. DJ Grothe seemed much more the public face of JREF than Randi, so this almost seems tantamount to shutting down the organization and starting a new one. I may have to find a new skeptical conference to attend.

deirdre

Senior Member.
sounds good to me.
I may have to find a new skeptical conference to attend.
good. maybe they'll stop having it in Los Vegas!

WeedWhacker

I know where Falls Church, VA is (since I used to live in the vicinity). Never knew that JREF had an LA office. AFAIK Mr. Randi resides in Florida. Curious.

A rift, perhaps?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I know where Falls Church, VA is (since I used to live in the vicinity). Never knew that JREF had an LA office. AFAIK Mr. Randi resides in Florida. Curious.

A rift, perhaps?

Falls Church is where semi-billionaire Rick Adams is. Adams partly financed JREF for several years.

WeedWhacker

Falls Church is where semi-billionaire Rick Adams is. Adams partly financed JREF for several years.

THAT is some very interesting info, thanks. I realize that Mr. Randi is getting up there in age. Perhaps he's in the planning stages of "handing over the reins". He's a smart guy.

Related Articles