Infra red cameras and curvature?

Vogon

So, this supposedly shows Three Lakeway Center, in Metairie, Louisiana, a 403-foot (123 m)-tall skyscraper from the other end of Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 17.52.24.png

Curvature should show a 116m drop for that distance, and the buildings around it are lower than 116m.

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 17.49.58.png (Google Street, from the bridge).

The viewer is standing at an elevation equal to the causeway, which takes a few meters off the drop.
Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 17.56.17.png

The idea if you haven't seen, is that the IR sensing capability removes the hazing and distortion that prevents us seeing these things normally. Which seems at some levels like BS. We get clear days.
They also claim that you can't get IR images from mirage and atmospheric lensing effects, which again seems like BS. It's radiation, so it's susceptible to certain types of distortion.

How come the "middle" building seems so much higher that you'd think the change in perspective would indicate?

So what's happening here?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Their video shows the bottom of the building are obscured, hence the surface of the lake is curved. Case closed.

Vogon

Their video shows the bottom of the building are obscured, hence the surface of the lake is curved. Case closed.
I agree, but the numbers do indicate that the lower buildings shouldn't be visible.

I'm asking why we can see THAT much of the buildings - other than the video being faked.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, but the numbers do indicate that the lower buildings shouldn't be visible.

I'm asking why we can see THAT much of the buildings - other than the video being faked.
Refraction and/or the view position being higher.

Here's what it looks like in GE, modeling a ball earth, with the viewer height at 5m above sea level (the lake is at sea level).

20160314-105854-qec9n.jpg

Henk001

Senior Member.
The clearance is 5m so I assume when you stand on the pavement the height of the observer is about 10 m. Then the buildings should be 74 m below the horizon without considering any atmospheric refraction (AR). If you do take AR into account (using the rule of thumb R= 7/6 R,earth in my calculation) the buildings should be 60 m below the horizon. Flat Earthers (FE's) most of the time use the 8 inch/square mile approximation, not realizing that this gives the horizon dip below a tangent at the standpoint of the observer. In other words, when you hold your camera at the surface of the earth/water, or when your face is flat at the surface.
edit: I assumed 42 km distance

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It is BS. Longer wavelengths are refracted more. The distance to the radar horizon is about 5% greater than the visible horizon when refraction is accounted for. IR falls in between those wavelengths.
The longer wavelengths (red, infrared) are refracted less. On a prism split spectrum the infrared is right next to the red, which is how it was discovered (the hot region next to red).
infrared-radiation.jpg
Source: http://www.physics-and-radio-electr...ctromagnetic-spectrum/infrared-radiation.html

But if this were actually a factor then objects at a distance would be all rainbow colored around the edges. Since they are not, we can conclude atmospheric refraction does not visibly act different for different wavelengths of light.

You can actually see the splitting with very high magnification on very (visibly) small distinct bright objects, like Venus, when close to the horizon.

Source: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~zhuxj/astro/html/venusphase.html

Hence there is no benefit (in terms of reducing refraction) for using infrared. Infrared is used for viewing at long distances because it passes through things of low density, like mist and haze - but to see a long way, the camera needs to be high up.

Chew

Senior Member.
Brain fart on my part confusing the amount of refraction. But yeah, every source I've seen says the radar horizon is farther than the visible horizon understand standard refraction (i.e. multiply Earth radius by 4/3 for radar horizon and by 7/6 for visual horizon).

Henk001

Senior Member.
Brain fart on my part confusing the amount of refraction. But yeah, every source I've seen says the radar horizon is farther than the visible horizon understand standard refraction (i.e. multiply Earth radius by 4/3 for radar horizon and by 7/6 for visual horizon).
Understandable confusion. The refractivity (N: (n - 1)x10^6) decreases with increasing wavelength for UV, optical, IR, but it INcreases again for the radio band. Typical values are N = 284 (UV), 275 (red), 273 (IR) and 346 (mm-wavelengths at 15°C).

Gufferdk

If the radars they are talking about have relatively low wavelengths (A- and B-band radars (this would especially apply to sources from say around WW2)), surface-wave propagation might also have an effect.
Surface wave is where the conductivity of the surface of the Earth causes electromagnetic radiation to not follow straight paths but instead curve towards the surface of the Earth. The longer the wavelength, and the more conductive the surface, the more powerful the effect gets.
LF broadcast and LORAN primarily propagates beyond the optical horizon this way. In the low end of HF (fx the 80m HAM-band) the radio horison may be up to 80 km away under pristine conditions. On VHF (fx FM-radio) the effect is usually down to single digit percentages. At higher frequencies fx D-band radar (1-2 GHz) the effect is irrelevant.

Source: "Vejen til sendetilladelsen" p. 89-90 ISBN 978-87-85149-08-4 (Danish: The road the the transmission permit) (a book written by HAMs for people studying to become HAMs).

Vogon

Yes... Great stuff guys, thanks.

I used the pythagorean calculation which should allow for someone 6' tall - I think I need to check my formula!
In fact, all the formulae that produce the same result.

Henk001

Senior Member.
Yes... Great stuff guys, thanks.

I used the pythagorean calculation which should allow for someone 6' tall - I think I need to check my formula!
In fact, all the formulae that produce the same result.
Here is an exact calculation with its derivation:
upload_2016-3-16_17-48-52.png

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West KML Tool For Visualizing Google Earth Cameras, and More Tools for Investigating and Debunking 5
Trailspotter The skies from above and below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 22
Robert Tankersley disneyland security cameras. UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
deirdre Cameras for close-up contrail photography Contrails and Chemtrails 12
FreiZeitGeist Hypothesis: Chemtrail-Phenomenom is connected to the popularity of digital cameras. Contrails and Chemtrails 3
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
H The German WWII "Knickebein" Navigation System and the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 11
Stefan Leahu A real-life 2D curvature analogy and a few thoughts regarding scale Flat Earth 2
Stefan Leahu Using railways to view curvature Flat Earth 3
Stefan Leahu Proving curvature: a distant island, viewed from different heights Flat Earth 0
T Observations of a Wind Farm Over the Curve of The Earth Flat Earth 0
Kriss3d Can You Validate Earth's Curvature with a Drone? Flat Earth 14
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Soundly A Side View of the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 55
R Can 3 towers placed equidistant at the same latitude demonstrate curvature? Flat Earth 2
Laser Water Level Showing Mountain and Horizon Dip Due to Curvature Flat Earth 32
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
PeteShasta Observations of Mallorca Island and the Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 28
Mick West Earth Curvature Simulation by Walter Bislins Flat Earth 9
Mick West Soundly Proving the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 91
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Mick West Curvature and Refraction in Surveying and Leveling Through History. Old Books, etc. Flat Earth 14
Mick West Explained: Why a Spirit Level on a Plane Does Not Show Curvature "Corrections" Flat Earth 98
Kriss3d Problem with earth curvature calculator - Hope for revised version ? Flat Earth 5
jeranism Explained: Observations of Canigou, Curvature of the Earth & Atmospheric Refraction Flat Earth 158
sirtwentythree San Mateo Bridge to Bay Bridge 17 mile curvature test Flat Earth 36
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
Yolo fish Demonstrating the curvature of the Earth by Flying in a "Straight Line" Near the Poles Flat Earth 33
Kriss3d Curvature of earth - the definition Flat Earth 11
Mick West Views of Toronto from Hamilton and Fort Niagara Illustrate Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 44
Greylandra Can you detect the curvature of the Earth with a taut line 3 miles long? [No] Flat Earth 55
DarkStar Earth curvature: Differences with Sphere/Ellipsoid/Geoid models for Visibility etc Flat Earth 8
huwp Ships beyond the horizon - Earth curvature demonstration Flat Earth 7
Mick West Video of New Orleans Superdome Illustrating Curvature and Refraction Flat Earth 5
Trailblazer Greenwich Meridian Laser - Can it Demonstrate Curvature? Flat Earth 20
Bass In Your Face Stephen Hawking's "Genius" Helicopter Demonstration of Lake Curvature Flat Earth 27
Clouds Givemethewillies Measuring the Curvature of the Horizon with a Level Flat Earth 121
Bass In Your Face Curvature Experiment showing relation between x-axis and z-axis Flat Earth 15
Sandor Szekely Atmospheric sunlight refraction arguments on the Eratosthenes triangulation method Flat Earth 37
G Seemingly Conflicting Curvature Observations in the Scottish Islands [Misidentified Islands] Flat Earth 6
Mick West Folsom Lake Photographs Demonstrating the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 36
Sandor Szekely Lake Balaton Laser experiment to determine the curvature of the Earth, if any. Flat Earth 1027
Rory Does the Earth's Curvature Vary with Latitude? [No, not significantly] Flat Earth 34
Vogon Crepuscular angles and the flat idea. Flat Earth 48
David Ridlen Earth curvature refraction experiments - debunking flat/concave Earth Flat Earth 344
Related Articles

Related Articles