How to Track Down a Contrail with FlightRadar24.com

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Tracking down planes that make particular contrails is something I do quite a bit. So I've made this video showing how I do it, with the hope that it will be useful to other people doing the same thing.

I also discuss in the video why planes sometimes fly in a holding pattern, or make sharp turns, often hundreds of miles from their destination airport. They do this to adjust their arrival time, so they they can fit into their slot in the arrival queue at busy airports.

Lisa P

That's great Mick, thanks. I check flightradar24 regularly but didn't know about the filters. It can be tricky with the time frame in archived so I always use a UTC time converter so I don't get the math incorrect. I am teaching my grandchildren to use the app (ages 3 - 6yrs). They love it and try to find pretty planes for me with flowers on them (like Air Caledonia)! It always blows everyone away when you show them how many planes are in the sky.

Trailblazer

Staff member
Yes, very useful. It surprises me that the wide availability of flight tracking websites and apps hasn't done more to kill off the chemtrail myth. You'd think that the ability to easily identify the planes leaving trails in the sky as familiar commercial airliners would have a huge impact, but we still hear the nonsense about "unmarked planes" etc.

I think there are two reasons for this:

1) Not every flight shows up. This will gradually reduce as ADS-B becomes more widely used, but there will always be "mystery" planes such as private bizjets and military flights, that people will find suspicious.

2) People don't find the flight trackers very easy to use. I think a lot of that is down to misunderstanding where in the sky planes are, and expecting to find them low and nearby when in fact they are high and far away. Perhaps you could have included your "how far away is that contrail" graphic, as a lot of people seem to look in the wrong place.

(I have a pet theory that quite a lot of conspiratorial thinking stems from poor 3D/spatial awareness - I first pondered this when discussing Apollo photos with moon hoaxers. But that's for another topic...)

Lisa P

Mick would you be interested in adding more to this tutorial thread?
You could show us how to convert local time to UTC and maybe a link to a site that converts it for us.
Educate us on the Relative Humidity and a link to the best websites to check it?

I noticed a discussion on youtube the other day and a fellow was taking the humidity at ground level to show it was impossible for a certain trail to be a contrail.

It would be great to use a link to this thread in discussions with others so they can investigate all this themselves.
It is a bit tricky at first to not make mistakes like choose incorrect planes and get times wrong and not understand the RH.

Marin B

Yes, very useful. It surprises me that the wide availability of flight tracking websites and apps hasn't done more to kill off the chemtrail myth. You'd think that the ability to easily identify the planes leaving trails in the sky as familiar commercial airliners would have a huge impact, but we still hear the nonsense about "unmarked planes" etc.
Evidently those tracking websites are actually "Chemtrail Jet Tracking Tools" :rolleyes:

I've tried asking why Flight # such-n-such would leave a persistent trail one day, no trail another day, and then a short trail yet another day. The question fell on deaf ears. Have any of the chemtrail sites attempted to explain this? If they actually bothered to "look up" so to speak, and look at the same flight day after day (or week after week depending on how frequent the flight is), they might come to a conclusion that changes their world view.

deirdre

Senior Member.
maybe a link to a site that converts it for us
i tried like 3 and they are cumbersome but then i tried just putting the time in Google and it worked as a pop up answer. The only problem i have is i'm not sure now if i am eastern standard time or eastern daylight time now ( i always get them confused :)

so i'm in Connecticut and i want a plane i saw at 2 pm so i typed "2pm est to utc"

utc.PNG

Lisa P

Evidently those tracking websites are actually "Chemtrail Jet Tracking Tools" :rolleyes:

I've tried asking why Flight # such-n-such would leave a persistent trail one day, no trail another day, and then a short trail yet another day. The question fell on deaf ears. Have any of the chemtrail sites attempted to explain this? If they actually bothered to "look up" so to speak, and look at the same flight day after day (or week after week depending on how frequent the flight is), they might come to a conclusion that changes their world view.
Flightradar24 was one of the things that helped me see sense when I believed in the chemtrail hoax. There were many things that helped but it took a year. Arguing with debunkers was another!

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This site takes atmospheric soundings at 0000hrs and 1200hrs Universal Time http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html
The site does not "take" them, it just records them. Atmospheric soundings are done by lots of different stations that use weather balloons, then they share these results. There's 102 stations in the US (and around) operated by NOAA.
http://www.noaa.gov/features/02_monitoring/balloon.html

Jan-61

I have another question on FL24:

Mick, In the tuturial you use 'settings>map>metatracks'. This is not visible here, in the new version of FL24.

Is there another workaround for this to achieve those multiple flightpaths? Couldn't find it.

Jan.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I have another question on FL24:

Mick, In the tuturial you use 'settings>map>metatracks'. This is not visible here, in the new version of FL24.

Is there another workaround for this to achieve those multiple flightpaths? Couldn't find it.

Jan.
That's an old hack I wrote for FR24 that unfortunately no longer works. I may try to revive it.

Jan-61

Thanks. I will be curious about it. It is handy for identifying contrails when more aircrafts are involved (which is very often the case, as we all know).
In PlaneFinder yet it is possible, but it is not accurate to determine the flying altitude when aircrafts are ascending/descending.

Jan.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Unusual Light Track in Long Exposures, Grand Canyon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
Mick West Recreating the missing section of IB6830's ADS-B track Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West The Rush to Explain an Illusion with Train Track Pieces - Jastrow AND Perpective General Discussion 15
moderateGOP DHS Funds Installation of White Boxes That Can Track Population of Entire City Conspiracy Theories 119
Jay Reynolds Debunked: KC-10 Video with Aerodynamic Contrails and Flap Track Fairings as Proof of "Spraying" West/Wigington Geoengineering Debate 49
N Gimble UFO = Upside Down Jet? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Mick West The Dumbing Down of Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth 9/11 120
Z.W. Wolf Ukrainian Plane Crashes in Flames in Tehran - Shot Down By Iran's IRGC Current Events 43
Trailblazer Debunked: Trees being cut down "because they block 5G" (tree replacement in Belgium) 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 44
Mick West Trees Burnt Down to the Roots in Widfires [Old Stumps] Wildfires 2
Mick West Molten Steel in the Debris Pile, Cool Down Time? 9/11 51
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 120
McGurnicle Why some people fall down the rabbit hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 28
Mick West Debunked: Furious American Citizens In San Bernardino Burn Down Radical Islamic Mosque General Discussion 20
Mick West Unusual Trail on the Russian Su-24 shot down By Turkey Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Pythagoras Drones shot down in Turkey and Ukraine, Russian or not? General Discussion 20
Bruce Lansberg Claim: Jeroen Akkermans: Framents prove MH17 was shot down by a Russian made BUK Flight MH17 34
Mick West Debunked "When the gunman realizes that nobody else is armed, he will lay down his weapons" [Satire] Quotes Debunked 0
M Debunked: this photo shows a Ukraine Mig-29 shot down MH17 Flight MH17 66
M Claim: MH17 was shot down by separatists using BUK stolen from Ukraine army Flight MH17 32
C MH17 Malaysian 777 Carrying 295 People Shot Down Over Ukraine Flight MH17 410
qed How did I end up down here? Escaping The Rabbit Hole 14
WeedWhacker Large Images now Resize Down to 1600 Pixels Max. Site Feedback & News 9
TWCobra Evergreen Air shutting down Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Debunked: US Reported In Panic After Chemtrail Planes Forced Down In India and Nigeria Contrails and Chemtrails 1
tryblinking contrailscience down? Contrails and Chemtrails 4
JFDee NY Times: "A Conspiracy Melts Down Into Washers and Dryers" Conspiracy Theories 2
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail videos on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Related Articles

Related Articles