High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect

Henk001

Senior Member.
(Perhaps I missed a thread concerning this, in which case I apoligize in advance)
One recurring statement in explaining why chemtrails would be used is trying to do something against global warming (geo-engineering). The reasoning is that clouds reflect sunlight, so they must have a cooling effect. The problem is: clouds also trap heat (they increase the greenhouse effect). We now know (since a few years) that lower clouds and clouds at lower latitudes do have a net cooling effect. On the other hand high altitude (cirrus) clouds and clouds at higher latitudes have a net warming effect. And (persisting) contrails belong to the latter category. So even if they were meant to cool down, they do exactly the opposite.

(Perhaps I missed a thread concerning this, in which case I apoligize in advance)
One recurring statement in explaining why chemtrails would be used is trying to do something against global warming (geo-engineering). The reasoning is that clouds reflect sunlight, so they must have a cooling effect. The problem is: clouds also trap heat (they increase the greenhouse effect). We now know (since a few years) that lower clouds and clouds at lower latitudes do have a net cooling effect. On the other hand high altitude (cirrus) clouds and clouds at higher latitudes have a net warming effect. And (persisting) contrails belong to the latter category. So even if they were meant to cool down, they do exactly the opposite.

Can you provide examples of people claiming that contrails cool, and references to the actual science?

Chemtrail-believers often claim that they are spread to block the sun in order ot reduce global warming.
for example: http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/
Chemtrailing
Chemtrailing is the publics term for the CLASSIFIED ONGOING artificial modification of Earths climate systems using reflective nano-materials (aerosols) to reflect sunlight. The aerosols are dispersed via jet aircraft trails that expand into reflective artificial clouds.
Content from External Source
Here is a scientific article about the radiative forcing of cirrus clouds and contrails:
http://aero-net.info/fileadmin/aeronet_files/links/documents/DLR/Schumann_Contrails.pdf

Back