Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite]

Mark Dobson

A couple of people on facebook suggested I upload this photo here for identification.. looking NNW from Holy Island (UK) at around 23:59 BST.
IMG_9165.jpg IMG_9165-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting. How long did it look like that? Could you see it move? What direction?

It looks most like photos of a meteorite fireball or bolide, with the very bright glow at the bottom. Here's a similar image:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081011.html

And another linked from that article:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080628.html

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It does not look like a contrail because:
  • It's too bright. Even though there's a faint glow from the set sun, if you can see the stars then a contrail would not be illuminated by the sun, and certainly not bright white - it would be orange.
  • It's too straight. Given the position near the horizon it would be 100-200 miles away at contrail altitude, and could not have remained that straight for that long.

Mark Dobson

Hi Mick, it was about 25 seconds into a 30 second exposure, a green streak caught my eye and I looked up the colour had gone but caught the breifest glimpse of the trail by the time my focus had shifted.. probably visable about a second or two max travelling North(ish) Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place ;)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mick, it was about 25 seconds into a 30 second exposure, a green streak caught my eye and I looked up the colour had gone but caught the breifest glimpse of the trail by the time my focus had shifted.. probably visable about a second or two max travelling North(ish) Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place ;)
No worries. Sound like it was almost certainly a bolide.

pseacraft

Nice capture. When day did you collect it? Love to see more stars in the shot but then your fighting the moon. :) I read someplace that certain days in September held the possibility of meteors from some lessor known events and this is probably one of them or maybe some space junk coming home.

Mark Dobson

Sorry, this was captured on 21/09/2013 @ 23:59 BST. I was batteling the moon, but had just taken delivery of a new lense so was eager to get out any try it :D

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
M Bornong A little help identifying a flight? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Gunguy45 Help identifying odd clouds General Discussion 18
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 3
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
Mick West What You Can do to Help Promote Escaping the Rabbit Hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Statistics Help Needed - Understanding the practical meaning of r values Practical Debunking 6
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
D Can you help with a picture? [Ballast Barrels] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Husband of chemmy Help me! Wife is Chemtrailing... Contrails and Chemtrails 69
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
derwoodii any help to prove or disprove this quote or claim Quotes Debunked 22
M Need help debunking a picture [Four Jets in Formation, Leaving Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 12
R Help debunking Sandy Hook and Aroura crisis actors! Conspiracy Theories 8
K Please help me find sources on anthropogenic climate change scientific consensus General Discussion 5
Leifer Help needed finding demolition video. 9/11 28
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Leifer does Social Media + Ego help drive conspiracy theories ? General Discussion 63
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
N Little help to debunk clouds with color Practical Debunking 2
J Help I'm talking to an idiot. Conspiracy Theories 8
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
J Help with some information. Contrails and Chemtrails 2
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Astro Predicting and identifying all future SDO eclipses Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Trailblazer Identifying: faked image of Earth from space (artwork, not "official") Flat Earth 4
Lisa P Identifying a plane over San Francisco [B99988 - Gulfstream GL650] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
derrick06 Any tips for identifying CGI in fake UFO videos? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
JRBids Identifying chemtrail planes Contrails and Chemtrails 11
B Odd, shiny rectangular object over Montréal's suburbs (Drone?/Balloon?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
Getoffthisplanet International Space Station (ISS) Live Stream from 2/21/2020 - Unidentified Object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West UFO Billboard in Montana Uses Photo of Identified Flying Object UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Snake Plisken Dark irregular shaped object drifting in the sky [Castle Mylar Party Balloon] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 52
Mick West Earth's Radius Calculator (from the amount a distant object is obscured) Tools for Investigating and Debunking 0
Royce Malphrus What is this? [unidentified object in photo from vehicle: lamp post] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
Mick West NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 452
Related Articles

Related Articles