Help identifying odd clouds

Gunguy45

Senior Member.
Not sure if this is the place for it...but I know there are some experts out there.

Had some very odd clouds (along with some weird weather last week) that I've never seen in the 6 yrs living here. I'm sure it had something to do with temps at different layers....but I haven't been able to find a picture close to what I saw. Sorry...no pic...I don't carry a camera around with me. I will try to post a basic drawing of what I saw.

oddcloud.JPG

Yes...I know...very poor drawing. Imagine a stalk of broccoli on a puffy pita or a large pizza crust. I'd guess they were at about 10K ft at the bottom...possibly lower? I only had local mountains as a reference. No...there was no weapons testing going on....lol.

There were multiples of them in the area...maybe 10 within my view. We live in a valley at about 3300 ft with mountains from about 5000 to 7000 on both sides.

Thanks guys....

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a kind of mini towering cumulonimbus.
Ive seen something similar in the summer in Oregon.

A thermal forms a cloud when rising, then when it gets to the altitude where it stops rising it spreads out. Anvil top on a rain cloud. Mushroom on a narrow thermal cloud.

Gunguy45

Senior Member.
Thanks Mick...I tried those terms for an image...but no joy. Nothing even close.

btw...odd that this thread didn't show up after you replied when I clicked New Posts.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I've not seen photos like the cloud I saw either. I'm just theorising about the mechanism.

I have a few photos, but unfortunately can't get them for a week.

Gunguy45

Senior Member.
Will do, thanks. Seriously some of the strangest formations I'd ever seen. Wife is the one who said "Wow...look at the clouds".

Gunguy45

Senior Member.
Very close TH...but the base was flatter, the mushroom was a bit flatter and wider, and the "trunk" was much taller. That's about the closest I've seen though.

Guess I need to at least carry my phone more often.

solrey

Senior Member.
That looks like a version of a cumulonimbus in relatively calm air with a tight updraft column.

Something with features like these?

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/photo-08079/

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/photo-08000/

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/photo-07450/

Here's what the forecast out of the NWS forecast center in Phoenix, AZ for the weather on 9/11 said:

"Numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms are expected today and tonight as a weather disturbance moves East and interacts with a very moist air mass."

Based on the drawing there probably wasn't much horizontal wind shear in your area at the time and with the aid of orographic lift that could help the clouds to develop like they did.

Someone even made a vid about "plumes" rising up near the Salton Sea, which includes a view of the sw corner of AZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1EldqnsUKs

Here's what Mr. Plumage himself wrote in a reply to me, even though I clearly stated convection driven CLOUDS and storms:

you're missing the plume.. not the storms man.. the actual trail coming off the ground.. you need to learn the difference.. but since you've been denying this can happen for HOW long?? its no surprise you come back with a storm that didn't hit this spot shes showing.
el oh el...

Gunguy45

Senior Member.
Thanks Solrey, the first one you linked to was close...but I think it was much larger than what I saw. Like I said...it was at least a week or so ago. I thought giant mushroom my wife said or a jellyfish.

Ahh well...I'm sure I'll see them again.

muttkat

Banned
Banned
That kinda reminds me of the WTC collapse. No seriously I've been looking at the clouds for the last 6 months or longer thinking to myself "They don't look the same, couldn't quite pinpoint it. The other night I was driving real close to the Gulf of Mexico & said thats it. I don't recall the last time I saw nice cauliflower fluffy clouds & the ones coming right off the Gulf were but once they got over land & the further inland the unfluffier they got. I don't live too far off the coast but what I've been seeing is that the clouds looked stringy, transparent, hazy, foggy type clouds that cover a large area. I don't know if you're familiar with cloud seeding. One of the bigger cities 120 miles away is using Silver Iodide & states they put this above & below the clouds. Well I watched the video Ben Livingston Father of Weaponized Weather & he states to try to create rainfall you release this nuclei at a certain angle but if you want to dissolve the cloud you drop the nuclei from above & on the Texas site it states you can do both. I think BL is right & I think these counties using these nuclei is blowing downwind & dissolving clouds in un-participating counties. I just started taking pictures & need to accumulate some rain samples. Check out if they're any rain modification programs in your area & let me know if you've seen similar type clouds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uynthEwqizU

http://www.tdlr.state.tx.us/weather/weatherfaq.htm

muttkat

Banned
Banned
Oh did the cloud produce rain or did it just seem to kinda dissentigrate into a transparent cotton candy type cloud?

MikeC

Closed Account
Ben Livingston saying that "Weather modification exists" and the US used rain making in Vietnam is as controversial as apple pie.

It is the seed of truth upon which he hangs his other theories for which he never seems to manage to provide any actual evidence, such as his ideas that hurricanes can be steered - supposedly a 1974 report says so - but he doesn't' actually link to it anywhere hat I have found.

Belfrey

Senior Member.
Ben Livingston saying that "Weather modification exists" and the US used rain making in Vietnam is as controversial as apple pie.

It is the seed of truth upon which he hangs his other theories for which he never seems to manage to provide any actual evidence, such as his ideas that hurricanes can be steered - supposedly a 1974 report says so - but he doesn't' actually link to it anywhere hat I have found.
There really was a program that tried to modify hurricanes, and at first they thought they did affect hurricane strength (not direction). However, subsequent data and analysis found that the changes could be accounted for by natural causes, and in fact the whole working hypothesis of the idea was falsified - they found that hurricanes actually have very little supercooled moisture, so seeding would have no effect. See Project Stormfury:

electrojet

It is noctilucent season. On May 24th I noted after sunset that it looked like the sky was electric blue and sure enough at a latitude much further north they were photographed that evening. The sky is a more beautiful hue here when the Sun is 5-15% below the horizon on certain evenings. I have not seen the actual clouds here yet (34 parallel)

see; http://www.spaceweather.com/
image.jpg
Awesome animation;
http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=82871

Mt. Redoubt
image.jpg
From http://geology.com/stories/13/spectacular-volcanic-eruptions/redoubt-eruption-cloud-lg.jpg

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
M Bornong A little help identifying a flight? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 2
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
Mick West What You Can do to Help Promote Escaping the Rabbit Hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Statistics Help Needed - Understanding the practical meaning of r values Practical Debunking 6
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
D Can you help with a picture? [Ballast Barrels] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Husband of chemmy Help me! Wife is Chemtrailing... Contrails and Chemtrails 69
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
derwoodii any help to prove or disprove this quote or claim Quotes Debunked 22
M Need help debunking a picture [Four Jets in Formation, Leaving Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 12
R Help debunking Sandy Hook and Aroura crisis actors! Conspiracy Theories 8
K Please help me find sources on anthropogenic climate change scientific consensus General Discussion 5
Leifer Help needed finding demolition video. 9/11 28
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Leifer does Social Media + Ego help drive conspiracy theories ? General Discussion 63
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
N Little help to debunk clouds with color Practical Debunking 2
J Help I'm talking to an idiot. Conspiracy Theories 8
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
J Help with some information. Contrails and Chemtrails 2
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Astro Predicting and identifying all future SDO eclipses Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Trailblazer Identifying: faked image of Earth from space (artwork, not "official") Flat Earth 4
Lisa P Identifying a plane over San Francisco [B99988 - Gulfstream GL650] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
derrick06 Any tips for identifying CGI in fake UFO videos? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
JRBids Identifying chemtrail planes Contrails and Chemtrails 11
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
I Moon moving "faster" than clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mendel Debunked: Radar Waves Affect Clouds General Discussion 0
Mick West Bright Light that "goes from the ocean to the clouds" [Plane] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Marin B Climate scientist on man-made clouds General Discussion 0
Mick West Structures in The gulf Of Mexico Appearing to make Waves in Clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
Mick West Criss-Cross Clouds Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West A Slightly Square Cloud South of Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles