Greetings!

Snafu

Hi folks,
Just wanted to make an introduction before I make some proper posts (mostly regarding the 'natural' health nonsense some of my less rational acquaintances keep posting on Facebook).

I hope I'm going to have as much fun here as I think I am, sometimes it gets frustrating being the lone voice of reason in a maelstrom of crackpots and conspiracy theorists.

I have a degree in chemistry and a well-rounded science background and have just started my trainee year as a secondary school science teacher. Part of my motivation for choosing this career was exactly the kind of thing that you guys here are trying to explain to people. Stories and anecdotes and emotional appeals just aren't good enough for choosing what to believe.

I hope, in my own small way that I will be able to help at least a few individuals to end up not as stupid and gullible as they otherwise might and I hope that I can contribute to some of the discussions ongoing on this forum.

Cheers!
Snafu

Welcome Snafu! Before you get into any debunking here though, you might want to quickly review the politeness policy below. We try to stay away from denigrating people (even if justified) as it hinders effective communication.

I would greatly appreciate it if commenters would be polite to one another, and constructive in their criticism.

Any comments that contain insults, direct or implied, may be edited or removed.

This does not mean you should avoid telling people they are wrong, simply that you be polite about it, and that youexplain why they are wrong. As a general rule of thumb, imagine you are talking to a new friend of a close relative, and be as polite as you would in that situation.

Thank you,

Mick

Hi folks,
Just wanted to make an introduction before I make some proper posts (mostly regarding the 'natural' health nonsense some of my less rational acquaintances keep posting on Facebook).

I hope I'm going to have as much fun here as I think I am, sometimes it gets frustrating being the lone voice of reason in a maelstrom of crackpots and conspiracy theorists.

I have a degree in chemistry and a well-rounded science background and have just started my trainee year as a secondary school science teacher. Part of my motivation for choosing this career was exactly the kind of thing that you guys here are trying to explain to people. Stories and anecdotes and emotional appeals just aren't good enough for choosing what to believe.

I hope, in my own small way that I will be able to help at least a few individuals to end up not as stupid and gullible as they otherwise might and I hope that I can contribute to some of the discussions ongoing on this forum.

Cheers!
Snafu

What is your understanding of the benefits of Capsaicin? . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

Seems there is some belief that it can be used to relieve sinus pain . . . and migraine headaches . . .

Back