"Global Warming: Can Earth EXPLODE ?"

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
Obviously a very fringe idea, but any geologists want to make a debunk out of this one?
Could be in the 'not even wrong' category.

The idea that nuclear fission is going on underneath us is not too controversial.
The logic of the claim seem based on man-made nuclear reactors - they explode (they don't really, they overheat and melt through their containers) if not cooled, global warming is heating the earth, ergo, earth will explode!

WeedWhacker

Short answer: "No".

Longer answer....this seems (to me) to be a full-on Science Fiction-based meme. Might I point out....BAD "popular Sci-Fi"...not real Science Fiction.

ETA: I can envision, over possibly geological (thousands, hundreds of thousands of years...millions?) a situation where a planetary body is subjected to extreme....very extreme....gravitational gradients that can act to cause it to break up.

Citing the rings of Saturn as a "possible" explanation for their existence.

deirdre

Senior Member.
heres the paper I think:
its pretty old
http://nujournal.net/core.pdf

Gemma says no

WeedWhacker

Oh, OK....getting the implied reference now....the implication that a man-made nuclear bomb/warhead "explodes", and trying to equate it on a planetary scale.

From (what little) I know about actual nuclear devices...(that 'explode' as bombs)...this requires a measure of "FOCUS" on the nuclear reactant material, provided by very precise aiming. Difficult to imagine such a confluence of circumstances to occur naturally within the Earth's core, mantle, etc.

deirdre

Senior Member.
OT: but actually this guy seems like he'd be pretty fun at a party (as long as he takes that shirt off before I get drunk!)

chalko.JPG

Hevach

Senior Member.
The energy has to come from somewhere regardless of feedback or resonance or any of that. And it's a silly huge amount of energy. The figure Phil Plait uses in his book Death From The Sky is 2.25x10^32 joules. That's one of those numbers so huge that metaphors just don't work, like killing a mosquito with the combined global nuclear arsenal.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
No.

The planet has gone though far worse heating in the past.

And earthquake activity has not changed.

It's just nonsensical, barely worth addressing.

WeedWhacker

This caused me to recall the "ultimate future" of this planet, when it will be heated and incinerated by the Sun, as it uses up its fuel, and expands to the size of a Red Giant...the Sun will encompass all four of the inner "rocky" planets, during this phase of its life-cycle...and of course, the Earth will be heated FAR beyond what "global warming/climate change" can accomplish. This planet will merely burn to a cinder, and likely then break apart within the gravitational stresses of the dying Sun's immense fields.

Don't worry, though. A LONG, LONG time....perhaps 5? 6 billion years??

http://www.space.com/23154-death-of-sun-will-destroy-earth-infographic.html

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
The Plato reference is about the hypothetical planet Phaeton, thought once to be the source of the asteroid field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaeton_(hypothetical_planet)

This is disproved by the different materials in the asteroid belt itself.

This seems to be the actual Plato reference.
I don't know how that becomes proof that 1000s of years ago people were familiar with a planet that disappeared in a flash one day.

o_O
He's pretty much self-publishing.
http://nujournal.net/
Interesting ideas, but not really grounded in this reality.
http://thiaoouba.com/faq.htm

I probably should have just left it well alone, oh well.

WeedWhacker

Ah....the long-ago disproved concept of a "missing" planet, where the Asteroid Belt currently (vaguely) orbits.

As I recall, this stemmed from Kepler's work (originally) as he strove to find some sort of "association" or "resonance" to the observed orbital distances or "periods" of the (then) known planets....and the "gap" between Mars and Jupiter (moving outwards from the Sun) seemed to "fulfill" his hypothesis.

I think, IIRC, that the problem was using our ONE example (of a star system, planets orbiting a star) as a "base set". Of course, in modern times, we have observed at least 460+ Star Systems with a huge variance in planetary formation patterns, in terms of relative sizes and distances from their host stars....as compared to our Solar System.

This means that a LOT of work is still ongoing into the mathematics and physics of star system/planetary dynamics and formation.

(I will add that in OUR Solar System, the presence of Jupiter is a HUGE influence, over some billions of years, or maybe only less than one billion??...we just don't know, yet... in stabilizing and influencing our current arrangement).

http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/how-mighty-jupiter-could-have-changed-earths-habitability/

Last edited:

Hama Neggs

Senior Member.
This caused me to recall the "ultimate future" of this planet, when it will be heated and incinerated by the Sun, as it uses up its fuel, and expands to the size of a Red Giant...the Sun will encompass all four of the inner "rocky" planets, during this phase of its life-cycle...and of course, the Earth will be heated FAR beyond what "global warming/climate change" can accomplish. This planet will merely burn to a cinder, and likely then break apart within the gravitational stresses of the dying Sun's immense fields.

Don't worry, though. A LONG, LONG time....perhaps 5? 6 billion years??

http://www.space.com/23154-death-of-sun-will-destroy-earth-infographic.html

Soo... I guess I'll still have to pay back that car loan?

SR1419

Senior Member.
No.

What do you mean? It's already happening :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/yellowstone-road-melts_n_5576514.html

WeedWhacker

Oh....a bit of humour?

The "mega-volcano" underneath Yellowstone National Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera) has been discussed for years...maybe decades. MIGHT continue to be discussed for centuries, long after YOU and I are dead.

That's the interesting part.....our planet Earth does not care. The "Yellowstone Caldera", if it "BLOWS" in the next few decades will make Hurricane Katrina (Circa August 2005, for future historians) PALE in comparison. So, it will DEVASTATE a large portion of the Western United States. So what??

(I say this AS a resident of this region, and also with a certain knowledge that it will not YET happen, in the lifetimes of those reading this....presently. Of course, this BEING the Internet....OTHERS will one day, likely, read this...no matter how many centuries in the future from THIS DATE....11 July 2014. Pacific Daylight Time).

(Same as 12 July, 2014....UTC).

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
He came to attention several years ago, because for some bizarre reason, CBS ran one of his articles.
AGW denialists were very amused.

And it came up again in 2012.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/12/...rmingclimate-change-story-of-the-past-decade/

"They"

I got this info from this website:
http://space.about.com/od/venus/a/Venus.htm

The planet Venus, named for the roman goddess of love, is often referred to as Earth's Twin or Earth's Sister. But, Venus does not bare much of a visual resemblance to Earth, so why is it called Earth's sister?

From a strictly physical perspective Venus is roughly the same size, density and composition as our planet. It orbits at a similar distance from our Sun, and at its creation would have appeared nearly indistinguishable from Earth. As the two planets evolved over time however, they became vastly different. Ultimately, Earth's sister was molded into a desolate and unforgiving world.

-----

The Venusian atmosphere consists mainly of carbon dioxide (~96.5%), while only containing about 3.5% nitrogen. This is in stark contrast to the Earths atmosphere, which contains primarily nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%). Clearly, we would not be able to breath the air on Venus. Moreover, the effect the atmosphere has on the rest of the planet is dramatic.

Global Warming on Venus
A great cause for concern on Earth is global warming, specifically the emission of "greenhouse gases" into our atmosphere. As these gases accumulate in our atmosphere, they trap heat near the surface, causing our planet to heat up. Because Venus has such a dense atmosphere, this same effect has occurred, though to a much higher degree. Global warming on Venus has caused the surface temperature to rise to nearly 9000 F, enough to melt lead.
-----

I'd just say that if Venus hasn't exploded yet I'm pretty sure we are safe.

David Coulter

Senior Member.
Complete nonsense. The Earth's internal heat comes from a combination of primordial (residual) heat and radioactive decay. There is no "nuclear reactor" inside the Earth - decay is not fission. Ultimately, we are talking billions of years, most of the radio isotopes will decay, the primordial heat will cool, and the Earth will become a solid rock. I won't speculate if it will be hospitable to life or not but the point may be moot as the Sun may start running out of fusion fuel before the Earth cools.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...active-decay-accounts-for-half-of-earths-heat

David Coulter

Senior Member.
That's the interesting part.....our planet Earth does not care. The "Yellowstone Caldera", if it "BLOWS" in the next few decades will make Hurricane Katrina (Circa August 2005, for future historians) PALE in comparison. So, it will DEVASTATE a large portion of the Western United States. So what??

While we are on the topic of geology....

The final effects of a super eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera are fairly accurately presented in the docufiction "Supervolcano" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_(film)). I met the volcanologist that was the scientific adviser for the film when I was at Colorado School of Mines (she gave a visiting lecture on a different topic). I challenged her on the unrealistic timeline from first indications of an eruption to a cataclysmic eruption and she agreed that the producers had to compress time to create a view-able story. All of the phenomena shown in the movie are realistic and based on evidence of previous eruptions found in the geologic record. Except that the events that are shown playing out over a few weeks would actually occur over 10's of thousands of years. Imagine the massive caldera-wide increase in geothermal activity shown in the opening minutes taking place over a thousand years, and the first minor eruption of lava happening 10 thousand years later and you can put the movie into a realistic geologic time frame.

I should add that another cataclysmic eruption in the vicinity of the Yellowstone Caldera will occur at some point. It may be shifted a bit to the northeast as shown by the temporal migration of the calderas associated with it:

From: http://www.photovolcanica.com/VolcanoInfo/Yellowstone/Yellowstone.html

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Cantonear1968 A Former AGW (Man-made global warming) Denier Escaping The Rabbit Hole 3
Pete Tar Debunked: Most recent NASA study shows ice growth in Antartica Science and Pseudoscience 15
deirdre Climate Scientist says "Scientists should consider stretching the truth": Stephen Schneider Quotes Debunked 2
Auldy Claim: Satellites show global warming pause continues by CFACT Science and Pseudoscience 13
KC-10FE Stanford Paper on Global Warming Contrails and Chemtrails 2
G Talking with Global Warming Deniers - Some Tips Practical Debunking 0
TWCobra Max Bliss performs seamless 180 U-Turn on global warming. Contrails and Chemtrails 13
Oxymoron Geoengineering to fight Global Warming General Discussion 5
George B Debunk Global Warming can reduce the number of Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Debunked: ArtificialClouds.com claims silver iodide causes chemtrails/global warming! Contrails and Chemtrails 125
Juror No. 8 Anthropogenic global warming = Eugenics version 2.0? Science and Pseudoscience 21
Edward Current Needs Debunking: That the GPS does not implement time corrections from Einstein's relativity Science and Pseudoscience 7
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West WTC7: Is AE911's (and NIST's) Focus on A2001 Justified if it Was Not "Key" in NIST's Global Model? 9/11 181
skephu Debunked: Decline in Global Relative Humidity [It's Increasing] Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Debunked: AnonSec's NASA Hack, Global Hawk Hijack, Evidence of Chemtrails [Public Domain Data] General Discussion 32
Van Wigington Debate Mentioned in this radio segment, Geoengineering Watch Global Alert News, January 30, 2016 Contrails and Chemtrails 16
Mick West Debunked: English Young Father Assaulted by Muslim Mob in Baildon, UK [White Youths] General Discussion 12
M Difference between the impact of Stratospheric Sulfate Aerosols and Contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
skephu Debunked: Massive US Senate Document On National And Global Weather Modification Contrails and Chemtrails 33
Gabriel Incertis Claim: MOREGELLON'S Is Patent US 6245531 And It Is Not A Disease Health and Quackery 6
Mick West Debunked: The Science Claims of Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
CapnPegleg Debunked: 10 Signs The Global Elite Are Losing Control Conspiracy Theories 11
moderateGOP Debunking Global Research TV Conspiracy Theories 64
Christian Svensson Chemtrails Global Skywatch facebook discussion Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Mick West Debunked: Global Dimming vs. Global Brightening, as evidence for Geoengineering or Chemtrails Contrails and Chemtrails 66
David Fraser Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 340
Belfrey Global Skywatch: Sampling Chemtrails In the Sky with Swiss Filmmaker Matthias Hancke Contrails and Chemtrails 69
Cairenn Global Research People Debunked 1
Jay Reynolds Global Skywatch Conference Call with Dane Wigington, Nov 2012 Contrails and Chemtrails 110
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
cheeple Global Economic Collapse coming and the Gold/silver rule Conspiracy Theories 32
Thor Odinson Debunked:Solar System Warming (Climate Change Conspiracy Theory) Conspiracy Theories 113
Jay Reynolds Sudden Stratospheric Warming- No Reason to Blame Chemtrails Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Swifty "Disc shaped" object in Antarctica on Google Earth UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
C Dodgy 'Earth curvature calculators' Flat Earth 4
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
Wiggles Measuring the radius of Earth using Long Range Observations (LROs) Flat Earth 0
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 3
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
J Are sun shadows only possible on a flat earth? Flat Earth 5
Mick West Satellite ADS-B Data in FlightAware24 - Blue Planes Prove Globe Earth Flat Earth 1
Mick West Flat Earth and Refraction with Oil Platforms Hillhouse and Habitat Flat Earth 5
Code-Beta 300 miles visibility on Antartica? Flat Earth 2
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
M Bornong Flat Earth vs Oblate Spheroid: Earthquakes Flat Earth 3
J Does google earth pro simulate refraction [No] Flat Earth 7
Bunkmeister Cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaczewski allegedly says earth is flat - [joke] Flat Earth 10
Mick West TFTRH #29 - Geoff: Everything is a Hoax, The Earth Might Be Flat Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Related Articles

Related Articles