Gimbal distance and Speed Range Estimates using Lines of Bearing and/or DCS

Amber Robot

8190E22A-9C5A-4C31-A9F3-1701C2DA6F2D.jpegVenus can be seen in the daytime for sure if you know exactly where to look. You don’t need a telescope.

I took this photo of Venus at 11:43am on January 1, 2019 with a Canon D77and my zoom lens at 300mm (iso 100, f7.1, 1/500sec)

the brightness of Venus is higher than the crescent moon. I saw the two earlier morning when the sky was dark and that helped me find it later in the day and take this shot.

jplaza

8190E22A-9C5A-4C31-A9F3-1701C2DA6F2D.jpegVenus can be seen in the daytime for sure if you know exactly where to look. You don’t need a telescope.

I took this photo of Venus at 11:43am on January 1, 2019 with a Canon D77and my zoom lens at 300mm (iso 100, f7.1, 1/500sec)

the brightness of Venus is higher than the crescent moon. I saw the two earlier morning when the sky was dark and that helped me find it later in the day and take this shot.

When you took that (really nice) photo, Venus was at the edge of its orbit, when it is the brightest, due to its phase and distance to the Earth (0.64 AU, being 1 AU the distance Earth - Sun)
stellarium-004.png

For the gimbal video, AFAIK, it was some day in January 2015. By that time, Venus was at the far side of the orbit, "behind" the sun. Even if its phase was full, it was a 1.5 AU of distance. Also, as the gimbal object is near the horizon, it means it had to be either before 9 am in the morning (with the sun already up in the sky, making it more difficult to see venus), or near 7 pm, when the sun already set, it's darker and it may be easier to spot venus in IR (exact hours depends on the time zone and place, but anyway, it's just a quick look.)
stellarium-002.png
stellarium-003.png

Anyway, the apparent size of Venus is so small that even if it could be seen in MWIR (which I doubt), in a 640 pixel FPA with 0.7º FoV it would be as big as ...2 pixels. (NAR 2X FoV is a digital zoom, it doesn chage the number of pixels actually illuminated by the object).

Cassi O

Anyway, the apparent size of Venus is so small that even if it could be seen in MWIR (which I doubt), in a 640 pixel FPA with 0.7º FoV it would be as big as ...2 pixels. (NAR 2X FoV is a digital zoom, it doesn chage the number of pixels actually illuminated by the object).

Venus is in a similar position in its orbit now as it was in Jan '15.

This is a cropped photo I took with a full spectrum camera and R720 IR filter a couple evenings ago.

1627612079889.png

Last edited:

jplaza

Venus is in a similar position in its orbit now as it was in Jan '15.

This is a cropped photo I took with a full spectrum camera and R720 IR filter a couple evenings ago.
Nice pic. But that's in the near IR, limited to what a Silicon device (CCD) is sensible to (max. 1.1 um wavelength). Also, that's the reflection of the sun in Venus, which is still a lot of energy. Compared to the Mid-IR, its about 100 times more energy than you have in MWIR (3.7-5.0 um wavelength), where an InSb FPA is sensible.

Spectrum.png

(blue: Visible+near IR. Red: MWIR)

Cassi O

Nice pic. But that's in the near IR, limited to what a Silicon device (CCD) is sensible to (max. 1.1 um wavelength). Also, that's the reflection of the sun in Venus, which is still a lot of energy. Compared to the Mid-IR, its about 100 times more energy than you have in MWIR (3.7-5.0 um wavelength), where an InSb FPA is sensible.

The IR filter knocks down the brightness and improves contrast, which according to the article I linked in a previous post, helps to see Venus during the day.

The other trick is focus. One time I saw Venus before sunset naked eye, and what really helped was it was near a crescent moon, like in Amber Robot's photo above. I could only see Venus after my eyes adjusted to seeing the distant moon. Same goes for the camera. without something to focus on, Venus disappears against the bright sky. My photo above was taken after sunset when Venus was clearly visible.

No idea what can be seen with an InSb FPA chip. The FLIR pod has a much larger aperture (12" ?) than my camera lens, so collects far more light.

Last edited:

Cassi O

Searched the internet for mid/far infrared planet images and found but one:

1627734682501.png

Infrared image of Jupiter from SOFIA’s First Light flight composed of individual images at wavelengths of 5.4 (blue), 24 (green) and 37 microns (red) made by Cornell University’s FORCAST camera. Ground-based infrared observations are impossible at 5.4 and 37 microns and normally very difficult at 24 microns even from high mountain-top observatories such as Mauna Kea due to absorption by water and other molecules in Earth’s atmosphere.

Source: https://www.nasa.gov/content/sofia-studies-planets

I think this puts to bed any chance a FLIR camera can capture celestial objects or man made satellites outside earths atmosphere, especially an object on the horizon like in the GIMBAL video.

Last edited:

jplaza

The 3-5 micron range is a transmission window in atmosphere for IR, with very low absorbance. That's one of the reasons(*) why it is used by ATFLIR.
But being able to image a planet I guess has more to do with very low radiation from the source, using large apertures and long exposures, and struggling with scattered light from other sources. Maybe with a dedicated equipment you can get it, but it's not ATFLIR purpouse and I would't expect it to do it.

(*)Another one is that the range includes the emission band of CO2, one of the by-products of combustion of a jet motor.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Leonardo Cuellar Could The Gimbal Video Show an Atlas V Launch? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 39
Edward Current Does the beginning part of Gimbal debunk the claim that the object rotates? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 3
M Gimbal ID of a possible jet? UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 36
V Gimbal Video Interactive Software/Program UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 16
Daniel F F-16 Pilot- Chris Lehto analyses Gimbal footage UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 197
Daniel F Hypothesis - Rotation of Gimbal not caused by lens glare. UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
J White dot in top left of Gimbal video UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 3
bird_up "Gimbal UFO video rendered in 3D" by Abominati0n UFOs and Aliens 5
V GIMBAL Video: Simulating the ATFLIR Tracking and Gimbal Rotation UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 20
Mick West Why Michio Kaku is wrong about the UFO Burden of Proof & Navy Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West TFTRH #22: Seth Shostak: SETI Senior Astronomer: ETs, UFO "Disclosure" Area 51 Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 3
Getoffthisplanet Flir1, Go Fast, Gimbal - Navy Releases New Information: Official Dates UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 9
Mick West Original Flir1, Gimbal, and Go Fast UFO "Raw" Video Files UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 33
Mick West Gimbal Lock and Derotation in FLIR/ATFLIR systems UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 30
Mick West TTSA's Form DD-1910 for FLIR, Go Fast, and Gimbal videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 44
Mick West NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 814
Agent K Geogebra tool to compare distances on a Flat Earth with a Globe Tools for Investigating and Debunking 1
B Slow meteor at a distance Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Long Distance Drones, Maybe Foreign, as Possible UFOs. UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 50
Mick West Judging Size and Distance of Unidentified Objects UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 74
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Wiggles Claim: Distant Objects Being Obscured Is Due To the "Mirror Blocking" Effect of Inferior Mirages Flat Earth 7
R Utah "Flat Eath" Frozen Lake Experiment Shows Light Visible over Longer Distance than Expected Flat Earth 8
FlightMuj Explained: 443 km distance- mountains visible. Flat Earth 13
Clouds Givemethewillies Method of measuring the distance to horizon Flat Earth 1
jeranism Explained: Observations of Canigou, Curvature of the Earth & Atmospheric Refraction Flat Earth 158
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
Trailblazer Measuring the distance to the moon with laser reflections and the speed of light Flat Earth 5
Mick West Calculating the height of something in a P900 photo when distance is known Flat Earth 59
Mick West Contrail Angle with the Horizon - A Useful Distance Rule of Thumb? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Flat Earth Theory Debunked by Short Flights (QF27 & QF28) From Australia to South America Flat Earth 276
TEEJ How far away is that contrail? Streamwood, IL 2nd March 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Mick West What's the Farthest Distance a Contrail is Visible at? Contrails and Chemtrails 98
Efftup How far away can I see an aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 26
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
FlightMuj ISS and Soyuz Antennas. Rotation Speed and Earth Movement Flat Earth 9
MikeC Speed tape vs Duct tape General Discussion 2
Mick West How to Watch Videos at 1.5x speed How To 22
mrfintoil Debunked: The Great pyramid of Giza and the Speed of Light Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
Related Articles

Related Articles