Gandhi calls vaccines barbarous and fatal

deirdre

Senior Member.
Gandhis-Anti-Vaccine-Views-Ring-True-A-Century-Later.jpg

This quote comes from a book Mahatma Gandhi wrote in 1921 called "A Guide to Health". Despite the translator's (2012) note

To me, the quotes seem reasonable in context, in keeping with the rest of the book and (what little i know-which is little) of Gandhi. The translated 'quotes' above come from Section 2: Some Simple Treatments Chapter 7: Small pox

Bold highlights are mine

Henk001

Senior Member.
Gandhi did a lot of good things, but his ideas about vaccination didn't match reality in 1921. By then Small pox were already almost eridicated in the UK and other countries, other vaccinations (for instance against diphteria) were also very succesful. I am afraid that his ideas will have been culturally influenced. In his culture he probably was more familiar with, say, ayurvedic views on health. Typical western approaches like vaccination were part of the colonial influences he wanted to get rid of.

Pigeonkak

Needless to say, Ghandi's professional expertise extends to law. Not to medicine. Carrying British soldiers on stretchers doesn't count as medical experience either.

I should hope an anti-vaccination advocate could at least see past his legacy to acknowledge that fact.

Hevach

Senior Member.
I should hope an anti-vaccination advocate could at least see past his legacy to acknowledge that fact.
Sadly there's a problem run into in a lot of fields that it's very hard for people to accept that somebody can be right about a lot of things and then wrong about something else, and it leads to these extreme all-or-nothing arguments where proving a political or religious leader is wrong about some point of fact is countered by all the positive changes they championed and suggesting that ignoring their one wrong point means throwing all that away, too.

Pigeonkak

Sadly there's a problem run into in a lot of fields that it's very hard for people to accept that somebody can be right about a lot of things and then wrong about something else, and it leads to these extreme all-or-nothing arguments where proving a political or religious leader is wrong about some point of fact is countered by all the positive changes they championed and suggesting that ignoring their one wrong point means throwing all that away, too.

I can't imagine living such an illogical, self-misleading life.

deirdre

Senior Member.
I'm kinda hoping if they read the quotes IN CONTEXT and acknowledge the date the book was published, they might realize comparing Gandhi's statements, spiritual leanings and [lack of] medical knowledge to todays world isn't appropriate.

Esp. since eventually India DID embrace the vaccines and smallpox was eradicted in India 1972-1977.

it wasnt working.

Pigeonkak

Ghandi had a great deal of flaws. But remains for his activism a role model worth learning from. If you can retain perspective and context of his teachings, of course.

It isn't surprising his views though. The overzealous British efforts to eradicate bovine illnesses in Southern Africa destroyed African livestock populations. Ghandi, working with the British Army in the turn of the 20th century may surely have seen Africans literally lose their personal wealth when entire herds were culled. He perhaps developed an innate mistrust of government vaccination programs seeing that.

And I'm also not surprised that someone in the 1920's without medical training would balk at the notion of a virus being injected into you to ostensibly cure or prevent that same or related condition. It must have seemed crazy then.

It is worth noting, that despite some equally ironfisted and hamfisted early efforts to eradicate diseases like bovine Rinderpest, the virus is practically gone today thanks to vaccinations.

deirdre

Senior Member.
And I'm also not surprised that someone in the 1920's without medical training would balk at the notion of a virus being injected into you to ostensibly cure or prevent that same or related condition. It must have seemed crazy then.
Sounds too like they were pretty "filthy" as well. Contamination from the smallpox 'donor' and the animals themselves, was a real thing. Not sure what he meant by suffering of the calves?

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Willie Did Gandhi say this? General Discussion 2
Mick West Debunked: Sarah Palin Calls For Executing Democratic ‘Cheaters’ On Election Day General Discussion 0
Miss VocalCord Senator Kelli Ward (Arizona) calls public meeting to address chemtrails concerns Contrails and Chemtrails 174
Jay Reynolds British Pilot's Association Reporting 5 Laser Attacks/Day, Calls for Laser Ban Contrails and Chemtrails 35
B Debunked: FBI calls half of populace with 9/11 doubts potential terrorists 9/11 3
BlueCollarCritic Government Is Spying on Your Cell Phone Calls Conspiracy Theories 152
Rory Claim: Covid vaccines contains self-aware aluminum parasites Coronavirus COVID-19 15
Mick West Debunked: Pfizer Developing a Twice-Per-Day COVID Pill, Taken Alongside Vaccines Coronavirus COVID-19 0
Arugula Dr. Dan Stock Argues Against Vaccines at Mt. Vernon, IN School Board Meeting Coronavirus COVID-19 7
Dan Wilson Vaccine compensations do not prove that vaccines are dangerous Health and Quackery 1
Mick West Claim: Section 13.1 on Vaccine Inserts Removed to Hide that Vaccines not Tested to Cause Cancer Conspiracy Theories 7
Dan Wilson Can measles make you healthier and fight cancer? Health and Quackery 6
MikeG Pet Vaccinations Causing Pet Autism Health and Quackery 1
MikeG Federal Financial Settlements Proves Vaccine Harm Health and Quackery 3
B Claim: Flu vaccine from multi-dose vials Use Too Much Mercury Health and Quackery 19
Dan Wilson Debunked: Dr. Daniel Niedes: Too Many Vaccines Health and Quackery 1
Mick West Chemtrails and the Anti-Vaccine Movement Contrails and Chemtrails 34
MikeG Claim: Zika Virus: Horrific Coverup Caused By Governments Mandating Vaccines’ Conspiracy Theories 2
MikeG Debunked: Mandatory Vaccines for Veterans Conspiracy Theories 11
MikeC 95,000 kids, 20 years of science - no connection between Autism and MMR Health and Quackery 1
Quantumbeliever Claim: CDC covers up research linking MMR vaccine to autism Conspiracy Theories 13
Dan Wilson Debunking Vaccine Myths Health and Quackery 482
FuzzyUK Multiple Infant Vaccines Linked To Dramatically Increased Mortality Health and Quackery 4
Mackdog NWO engineered mosquitoes to inject people with vaccines... Conspiracy Theories 23
SR1419 CDC admits flu vaccines don't work Health and Quackery 9
SR1419 Vaccines did not save us... Health and Quackery 6
Related Articles

Related Articles