First Interstate Tower Fire - Comparison with WTC Towers and WTC7

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Source: http://framework.latimes.com/2010/10/06/first-interstate-bank-fire/

The First Interstate Bank building, later rename 707 Wilshire, and now called the Aon Center, is often brought up as an example building that burned a lot and did not collapse.

There's a number of objections to this comparison - the building had unusually good fireproofing, the progress was eventually stopped by sprinklers, and it actually came very close to collapsing. But I want to figure out if it's even structurally comparable.

I've only been able to find this as a floor plan:
http://www.lafire.com/famous_fires/1988-0504_1stInterstateFire/ExSummary/LAFD-ExecutiveSummary.htm

From which, it seem, someone made a small schematic.
http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/pr...istoricFires/BuildingFires/interstateBank.htm
20171115-132010-pf601.jpg

Which I used as a scale comparison with WTC7 and One Meridian Plaza
20171115-132054-sn7od.jpg
It's a bit odd though, as it seems to show only three core columns off to one side, and rather oddly spaced columns at the short ends.

Here's it's described as a "braced core"
la-wilshire-grand-earthquakes-timeline-graphic-20141101.png

And here:
http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/pr...istoricFires/BuildingFires/interstateBank.htm
So what was the structural part of the central core? Was it just Reinforced Concrete walls? Were there more columns? Are the above diagrams accurate?

Construction photos would be ideal, but this is all I can find:
la0113skyline1973 Aon center. .jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-15_13-40-26.png
    upload_2017-11-15_13-40-26.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Leifer

Senior Member.
I also mentioned the First Interstate fire as a comparison to the Plasco fire, HERE....

I had a view of the LA fire from my loft/warehouse window. I was about 2 miles away, living in the Downtown area.

Here is an excerpt from the "famous fires" link Mick posted above.....and it mentions they were indeed worried about structural collapse, and they attributed the well applied (and intact) coating on the structural steel members......unlike the 911 towers, where that fire insulation was blown off from impact.

collapse_interstate.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Found some slightly better quality images in the FEMA Technical Report (attached). They show some damage to steel. It's not clear what fire protection (if any) was on these exterior column.

20171201-085706-kmt88.jpg

20171201-090031-ifgb3.jpg

Only this hand drawn plan though.
20171201-090130-fcjnw.jpg

Attachments

• Interstate Bank building fire FEMA TR-22.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 432
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
SR1419 Interstate 580 overpass tanker fire as illustration of possible 9/11 fire effects 9/11 2
Joe Hill False Narrative: "North Tower Antenna Dropped Before Roof Line" 9/11 3
J Explaining the white smoke from the base of the South Tower 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Grenfell Tower fire in London Current Events 24
aka How does this Domino Tower Collapse relate to 9/11 Collapses 9/11 75
Mick West Explained: "Iron Giant Robot" Walking on Clouds [Cooling Towers Plumes} Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
MikeC Buckled steel from office tower fire 9/11 30
Mick West Dubious: Fake Cell Phone Towers spying Conspiracy Theories 8
Mick West Fund Raiser for Tesla Tower Science and Pseudoscience 6
Credible theorist 9/11: Flashes before the tower collapses 9/11 134
velabella Giant plume seen from plane. [Cooling Tower Condensation Cloud] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West Australia's Unprecedented Fire Season 2019/2020 General Discussion 25
Mick West Franklin Square and Munson Board of Fire Commissioners 9/11 Resolution 9/11 26
Mick West Russian Nuclear Sub Fire Kills 14, Current Events 9
Mick West Trees Burnt Down to the Roots in Widfires [Old Stumps] Wildfires 2
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West November Fires in California: Paradise / Camp Fire, Hill and Woolsey Fire Wildfires 13
Mick West Carr Fire in Redding, Northern California Wildfires 16
Miss VocalCord São Paulo High Rise Fire and Collapse - Wilton Paes de Almeida Building Current Events 87
Jedo Debunked: WTC7 was the only building not on the WTC block that had a fire on 9/11 9/11 0
Mick West Huntley Hotel Fire in Santa Monica vs. WTC2 "Molten Metal" 9/11 4
Mick West Thomas Fire in Ventura California & Other SoCal December Fires Current Events 6
Mick West Debunked: UAF Study Shows WTC7 Could Not Have Collapsed from Fire 9/11 43
benthamitemetric Atlanta I-85 Freeway Fire and Collapse - World Trade Center Comparisons 9/11 9
Whitebeard Tehran Plasco Highrise Fire And Collapse - 9/11 WTC7, WTC1&2 Comparisons 9/11 84
Whitebeard Dubai High Rise Fire - Not like 9/11 9/11 9
Mick West Explained: "Floating Ball of Fire Over Argentina" [Short Sunlit Contrail] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Fire at FAA facility closes Chicago airspace Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Hitstirrer Effects of fire on the structural capabilities of steel structures 9/11 68
FireOfficer1822 Fire on the SS Noronic as an illustration of possible 9/11 fire effects 9/11 28
Representative Press WTC7 Fire Temperatures and effects on the East Floor System 9/11 58
Mick West Debunked: Black Smoke and orange flames as an indicator of an Oxygen Starved Low temp fire 9/11 4
Alchemist Footage of Boston Suspects/Cops Fire FIght Boston Marathon Bombings 9
Oxymoron Professional Witnesses Disagree With NIST i.e. Ladder 15 we've got two isolated pockets of fire. 9/11 57
Oxymoron WTC4 fire photo labeled as WTC7 on 911 memorial timeline site. 9/11 60
Mick West Debunked: WTC7 vs. Chechnya's Tallest Building Fire (Grozny-City Complex) 9/11 24
Related Articles

Related Articles