Facebook moderators believing in conspiracy theories

Marin B

I listened to an NPR interview with a technology reporter, Casey Newton, regarding an article he wrote about employees at a company in Phoenix, Cognizant, that Facebook contracts for content moderation. A link to the NPR interview and transcript is here: https://www.wfae.org/post/working-lives-facebooks-content-moderators#stream/0 And the original article is here THE TRAUMA FLOOR The secret lives of Facebook moderators in America

According to the reporter, what surprised him most about this assignment was that
From the original article:

Landru

Staff member
I listened to an NPR interview with a technology reporter, Casey Newton, regarding an article he wrote about employees at a company in Phoenix, Cognizant, that Facebook contracts for content moderation. A link to the NPR interview and transcript is here: https://www.wfae.org/post/working-lives-facebooks-content-moderators#stream/0 And the original article is here THE TRAUMA FLOOR The secret lives of Facebook moderators in America

According to the reporter, what surprised him most about this assignment was that
From the original article:
We don't deal with conspiracy theories. We deal with evidence and the removal, where required, of bunk.

deirdre

Senior Member.
the majority of the people that I spoke with said that the longer they looked at the kind of fringe conspiracies that get posted on to Facebook
i'm not sure 7 people out of 15,000 moderators gives us much to go on. and these 12 people interviewed were probably disgruntled employees, since they apparently were willing to break their non disclosure agreements (or they are lying about their non disclosure agreements).

i'm more interested in the bit about whether the post of the guy being murdered should be removed. REMOVED??? how about an instant account ban? and why are you sitting there watching a full video of a guy being murdered? After the first stab you should just turn it off and ban the account. Which also makes me wonder why they are allowed to spend an hour watching 911 conspiracy videos. The whole Verge article reads odd.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Oystein AE911Truth: Analysis of their Facebook "Likes" 9/11 25
Mick West Tales From The Rabbit Hole Facebook Group Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 0
Trailspotter The Spreading of Misinformation Online Practical Debunking 13
Eyes_Open Hi Everyone - General Discussion 1
Mick West Hoax: Fuel Dump video on Facebook [Flight BA244 from Buenos Aires to London] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 181
KC-10FE "Team Chemtrail" & Chemtrail Pilots Anonymous Satirical Facebook Group Contrails and Chemtrails 22
Mick West How to Find the Exact Upload Time of a Facebook Photo Practical Debunking 5
Mick West New sharing buttons Site Feedback & News 0
Svartbjørn Debunked (sort of): Picture of LEO spraying a child with Mace General Discussion 1
Pete Tar "Facebook tinkered with users’ feeds for a massive psychology experiment" General Discussion 111
TWCobra International Chemtrail Association-FaceBook Hoax Contrails and Chemtrails 114
Christian Svensson Chemtrails Global Skywatch facebook discussion Contrails and Chemtrails 49
TWCobra Facebook chemtrail "whistleblower" Contrails and Chemtrails 119
JRBids Facebook violence General Discussion 7
HappyMonday MSN Debunks 'Facebook Page' set up before the Boston Bombing' theory Boston Marathon Bombings 2
Mick West Chemtrail Awareness on Facebook, moves on a bit Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Debunked: Chemtrail Plane and Other Unlabeled Photos from Facebook etc. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 227
Mick West Metabunk facebook page Site Feedback & News 6
chem_what Chemtrailers on Facebook. Contrails and Chemtrails 6
HappyMonday Chemtrails / Orgone Sponsored link on Facebook Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Danell Zorn Facebook and CIA conspiracy theory Conspiracy Theories 116
brent_brent facebook friend uploads Aluminium, Strontium & Barium In Brisbane Rainwater LOL Contrails and Chemtrails 16
P Facebook group dedicated to spamming contrail science Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Des O Discussions with chemtrailers on facebook Contrails and Chemtrails 216
Idrinkyourmilkshake My experience believing in a CT. Escaping The Rabbit Hole 24
MikeC The Science about not believing Science General Discussion 4
Related Articles

Related Articles