Explained: "Beam" in Video of Explosion In Iraq. [Rolling Shutter Artifact]

Trailblazer

Staff member
This video of an explosion in Iraq last month is doing the rounds with the claim that it shows a "directed energy weapon". It appears to be another rolling-shutter artifact, with the light source from the explosion rather than lightning.

CeruleanBlu

Senior Member.
This video of an explosion in Iraq last month is doing the rounds with the claim that it shows a "directed energy weapon". It appears to be another rolling-shutter artifact, with the light source from the explosion rather than lightning.
That explosion was filmed from at least 3 different cameras, and the "directed energy weapon" flash that is visible in the video you posted is not visible in the other videos. If you were to look at the group of soldiers standing in front of the camera in the video you posted, this video is recorded by one of the soldiers in that group.

In that video you see a Humvee in front of the camera with a man filming the machine gun fire on the disabled VBIED. Here is the video from that man beside the Humvee.

So basically you have a video of a firing machine gun appearing to cause a VBIED to explode, you have a camera recording that man recording the explosion, who is then being recorded by another camera. We have 3 layers of view available here, and the flash is only on the first and furthest away layer. I would have to agree with your assessment that this is a camera shutter effect caused by the initial flash from the explosion.

Alternately, I would propose it was more likely the huge machine gun firing into the stuff that goes boom that actually caused the boom, not an energy beam from above only visible to one of the three cameras filming. :rolleyes:

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.

I was looking at that last night. I'm pretty sure it's fake. There's a a moment where the explosion appears to be imperfectly spliced in, (deidre's frame five, actually) and the white shock looks fake to me based on the other shockwave footage I've seen. Look up a myth busters explosion montage and you'll see the difference.
(Edit) Then there's the part where the camera points at the ground; I'm not sure how you'd get that effect.

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
Looks bizzare, but you could be right.

Even if the video is real, the fact that the "beam" doesn't strike where the explosion is makes it pretty easy to explain why it's unlikely to be a directed energy weapon. That's not how physics works.

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
Actually I'd like to modify my position; it seems to me to be a composited and edited video. First, there's the 'beam', which I think probably is a rolling shutter artifact. It seems likely that whatever ordinance was used was edited out, leaving that strange fifth frame of deirdre's. Then the shockwave was edited in; as it dissipates it shows some sloppy use of a magic wand-style tool, with sections dropping out with sharp edges. It also appears to originate inside the fireball, which makes no sense.

I'd suspect the shockwave was from a wetter environment than the rest of the video of it is real; that vapor density is jarring.

All told, it looks to me like a real video that was edited to try to show something else, I.e. a directed energy weapon.

Trailblazer

Staff member
Actually I'd like to modify my position; it seems to me to be a composited and edited video. First, there's the 'beam', which I think probably is a rolling shutter artifact. It seems likely that whatever ordinance was used was edited out, leaving that strange fifth frame of deirdre's. Then the shockwave was edited in; as it dissipates it shows some sloppy use of a magic wand-style tool, with sections dropping out with sharp edges. It also appears to originate inside the fireball, which makes no sense.

I'd suspect the shockwave was from a wetter environment than the rest of the video of it is real; that vapor density is jarring.

All told, it looks to me like a real video that was edited to try to show something else, I.e. a directed energy weapon.
Yes, the white vapour cloud appears to be fake, and isn't shown in the other videos of the event.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a better version of the video:
https://www.facebook.com/teammediawar/videos/777724525673330/
(Attached as 720p MP4)
It appears to be genuine, the shockwave is real, the vapor cloud is real, the "beam" is there, but is just a rolling shutter artifact. Notice here (contrast enhanced) how it is frame aligned and continues down the ground in front of the crash barrier

In the slow motion version from the OP the vapor cloud looks fake because of the slow motion software interpolating the frames.

But it's real

Attachments

Trailblazer

Staff member
Yes, I was wrong about the vapour cloud not appearing in this video: it is there but it has dissipated by the time the camera pans upwards and catches the fireball:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
i got to play with my new frame grab toy!

View attachment 16477
Unfortunately though none of those frames are the actual "beam", as it only appears in one frame of the original video, and all those frame grabs are interpolated (i.e. the computer trying work out what the extra frames should look like to get smooth slow motion).

The real frame is:

deirdre

Senior Member.
Unfortunately though none of those frames are the actual "beam", as it only appears in one frame of the original video, and all those frame grabs are interpolated (i.e. the computer trying work out what the extra frames should look like to get smooth slow motion).
thanks. i was actually thinking that, the video in OP was weird/choppy. between the slow mo and the camera shake... figured the footage was odd.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Explained: New Navy UFO Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Cassi O Polaris Height Perspective Explained (No math required) Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: The "Many Faces" of Patrick Crusius, the El Paso Shooter Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Explained: The Navy's New "UFO" Reporting Guidelines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Mick West Explained: Jet Chasing UFO: X-45A and F/A-18B Formation Flight Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
MikeG Explained: EU Army Deployed to Paris Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: A Dozen Or More Southern Valley UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Mick West Explained: Washington State Island "Mystery missile" - Helicopter Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 49
Andrew Gillett Explained: Squares in the sky? [Reflection of lights in a window] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Trailblazer Explained: Vatican "chemtrail spraying" coin [part of set depicting Pope's travels] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
deirdre Explained: Mysterious burning crater in Mexico spurs UFO crash speculation (Garbage pit) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Benjamin Moore Explained: Why Earth Has A Magnetic Core Even Though the core is Molten Metal Flat Earth 2
FlightMuj Explained: Photo from ISS shows "open window" [Scratch Cover] Flat Earth 2
Mick West Explained: "Smoke Trails" On 9/11 World Trade Center Falling Debris [Dust/Powder] 9/11 10
Mick West Explained: Roy Moore Two Color Yearbook Signature [Depth of Field Chromatic Aberration] Conspiracy Theories 34
Mick West Explained: Why Planes Get Dented Nosecones - It's Mostly Birds General Discussion 4
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 119
Mick West Explained: Photo of "UFO" Used in Connection with Nimitz Incident [Balloon] UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 8
Mick West Explained: Mexico City Earthquake Lights [Power Line Arcing and Transformer Explosions] Science and Pseudoscience 30
Mick West Explained: Cloud Seeding Weather Modification in Texas before Hurricane Harvey Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Bunkmeister Explained: Coast Guard Geographic Range Table promoted by flat earthers Flat Earth 15
Mick West Explained: Charlottesville Car Attack License Plates - Ohio GVF 1111 (and GVF 1122) Conspiracy Theories 2
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
FlightMuj Explained: 443 km distance- mountains visible. Flat Earth 13
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles