Earth Day, Mt. Shasta

Steve Funk

Senior Member.
It was disappointing. There wasn't too much interest in the chemtrails table, and it seemed everyone already had their mind made up one way or the other. I didn't have a meaningful dialogue about this all day. I was splitting time between the community garden table outside and shadowing the chemtrails table inside the building. Francis had a separate table, mostly on the fine points of growing squash and saving seed. He wasn't talking about chemtrails unless somebody brought the subject up. I asked when we were going to have our debate and he said he didn't know.
The chemtrails table was run by a woman I didn't really know. She complained about me to the volunteer organizing the event, and he counseled me to try to avoid confrontation. A while later, I approched a couple of people at her table, offered them a leaflet and asked if they would like to read the other side. She demanded that I leave. When I refused, she brought over two rather obnoxious same-sex-oriented women who really got in my face, then complained again to the organizer. He asked me to go outside the building, and eventually threatened to call the police. There was about a 20 minute standoff, then I noticed that it was 10 minutes to the time people were going to start cleaning up, and decided to go outside and end the confrontation. The organizer was a little apologetic and said he personally didn't believe in chemtrails. I almost wish I had insisted that he call the police. The cops in this town aren't stupid. They know about the first amendment, and most of them know me.

Back