Earth Curvature Simulation by Walter Bislins

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
waltis curve simulator.jpg

Walter Bislins has created a very useful tool for visualizing what things should look like from certain positions, and with certain camera settings, on the Globe Earth, or on a hypothetical Flat Earth.

The Simulator includes recreations of classic and modern experiments and observations including the Bedford Level, the Pontchartrain Power Lines and Causeway, and the Chicago Skyline. You can stop the simulation at any point, and examine the scene and the settings used. Here's a (non-interactive) animation of the Bedford Level experiment.

I'd encourage anyone interested in the topic to play around with the various settings and watch all five demos.

Simulator with discussion:
http://walter.bislins.ch/bloge/index.asp?page=Flat-Earth:+Finding+the+curvature+of+the+Earth
http://walter.bislins.ch/blog/index...h%3A+Wie+stark+ist+die+Kr%FCmmung+der+Erde%3F

Simulator alone:
http://walter.bislins.ch/blog/index.asp?page=Earth+Curvature+Simulation

Last edited:

Antrax

I've used this simulator for high altitude footage I found on Reddit/Youtube, which according to the author was taken at an altitude of 115,000feet/35km with a Canon Powershot SD880 set to 35mm film equivalent of f=40mm.
I'm not really good with photoshop and had to do it on my smartphone, so it doesn't look as good as the examples made by Walter. Anyway, here's what I got:videotogif_2017.08.23_14.26.56.gif

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/4fyiks/a_year_ago_my_brother_and_i_launched_a_high/
YouTube: Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tI6alFMD79I

Last edited by a moderator:

Enricks

So in the Bedford Level experiment the middle pole was totally visible, but below the line of sight and above the distant mark?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
So in the Bedford Level experiment the middle pole was totally visible, but below the line of sight and above the distant mark?
"Line of sight" can refer to any line, but I think you mean "eye level" - i.e. a horizontal line from the telescope, perpendicular to the vertical direction at the telescope?

From any given position the water surface is going to seem to "drop" away from the horizontal plane (it's like you are standing on top of a very large ball). So the middle pole is going to be below that plane, and the distant bridge will be below that.

So if you take a line of sight from the telescope to the distant bridge, then the middle marker will appear above that.

Enricks

"Line of sight" can refer to any line, but I think you mean "eye level" - i.e. a horizontal line from the telescope, perpendicular to the vertical direction at the telescope?

From any given position the water surface is going to seem to "drop" away from the horizontal plane (it's like you are standing on top of a very large ball). So the middle pole is going to be below that plane, and the distant bridge will be below that.

So if you take a line of sight from the telescope to the distant bridge, then the middle marker will appear above that.
Yes, sorry for my slip of tongue there: I meant eye level. I found that odd because at sea level the "drop" should be 0, like you showed in your "horizon dip" demonstration, so both the horizon and the pole should not show any drop. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something (almost certainly yes lmao).

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, sorry for my slip of tongue there: I meant eye level. I found that odd because at sea level the "drop" should be 0, like you showed in your "horizon dip" demonstration, so both the horizon and the pole should not show any drop. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something (almost certainly yes lmao).
The side to side visual "drop" of the horizon is zero at sea level. But that's a totally different thing to the curve of the Earth away from you.

And here the telescope is not at the water level. It's like 12 feet above the water, looking at things that are 3 and six miles away. The thing 3 miles away will be 6 feet below the horizontal plane passing through the telescope, and the thing 6 miles away will be 24 feet below that plane.

The key thing though is the "bulge", which is 6 feet over 6 miles. i.e. the middle marker will be six feet higher than a line of sight between the end points (assuming all are the same height above the water)

Enricks

I asked this because in the animation you provided above, the horizon seems to be dropping below eye-level (i.e. the crosshair), but maybe I'm making a mistake somewhere.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I asked this because in the animation you provided above, the horizon seems to be dropping below eye-level (i.e. the crosshair), but maybe I'm making a mistake somewhere.
No that's correct. The horizon is always below eye level if your eye is above the water level. Not a lot when you are close to the water level, but the effect is magnified here because of the high zoom.

Rory

Senior Member.
So in the Bedford Level experiment the middle pole was totally visible, but below [eye level] and above the distant mark?
I found that odd because at sea level the "drop" should be 0, like you showed in your "horizon dip" demonstration, so both the horizon and the pole should not show any drop. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drop"? Or why it should be zero?

Also, to clarify, it's not so much about measurements at "sea level" - for example, doing calculations for a view across a high elevation mountain lake, you'd want to know the height above the water, rather than above sea level.

Though I think you get that already; thought I'd mention it just in case.

Enricks

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drop"? Or why it should be zero?

Also, to clarify, it's not so much about measurements at "sea level" - for example, doing calculations for a view across a high elevation mountain lake, you'd want to know the height above the water, rather than above sea level.

Though I think you get that already; thought I'd mention it just in case.
Never mind, Mick already gave me a satisfying answer :p

EDIT: btw, by "drop" I meant horizon dip.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
C Dodgy 'Earth curvature calculators' Flat Earth 4
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
H The German WWII "Knickebein" Navigation System and the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 11
T Observations of a Wind Farm Over the Curve of The Earth Flat Earth 0
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Soundly A Side View of the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 55
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
Mick West Soundly Proving the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 91
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Mick West Curvature and Refraction in Surveying and Leveling Through History. Old Books, etc. Flat Earth 14
Mick West Explained: Why a Spirit Level on a Plane Does Not Show Curvature "Corrections" Flat Earth 98
Kriss3d Problem with earth curvature calculator - Hope for revised version ? Flat Earth 5
jeranism Explained: Observations of Canigou, Curvature of the Earth & Atmospheric Refraction Flat Earth 158
Yolo fish Demonstrating the curvature of the Earth by Flying in a "Straight Line" Near the Poles Flat Earth 33
Kriss3d Curvature of earth - the definition Flat Earth 11
Mick West Views of Toronto from Hamilton and Fort Niagara Illustrate Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 44
Greylandra Can you detect the curvature of the Earth with a taut line 3 miles long? [No] Flat Earth 55
DarkStar Earth curvature: Differences with Sphere/Ellipsoid/Geoid models for Visibility etc Flat Earth 8
huwp Ships beyond the horizon - Earth curvature demonstration Flat Earth 7
Bass In Your Face Curvature Experiment showing relation between x-axis and z-axis Flat Earth 15
Sandor Szekely Atmospheric sunlight refraction arguments on the Eratosthenes triangulation method Flat Earth 37
Mick West Folsom Lake Photographs Demonstrating the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 36
Sandor Szekely Lake Balaton Laser experiment to determine the curvature of the Earth, if any. Flat Earth 1027
Vogon Infra red cameras and curvature? Flat Earth 11
Vogon Crepuscular angles and the flat idea. Flat Earth 48
David Ridlen Earth curvature refraction experiments - debunking flat/concave Earth Flat Earth 344
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
Wiggles Measuring the radius of Earth using Long Range Observations (LROs) Flat Earth 0
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 2
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
J Are sun shadows only possible on a flat earth? Flat Earth 5
Mick West Satellite ADS-B Data in FlightAware24 - Blue Planes Prove Globe Earth Flat Earth 1
Mick West Flat Earth and Refraction with Oil Platforms Hillhouse and Habitat Flat Earth 5
Code-Beta 300 miles visibility on Antartica? Flat Earth 2
M Bornong Flat Earth vs Oblate Spheroid: Earthquakes Flat Earth 3
J Does google earth pro simulate refraction [No] Flat Earth 7
Bunkmeister Cosmonaut Miroslaw Hermaczewski allegedly says earth is flat - [joke] Flat Earth 10
Mick West TFTRH #29 - Geoff: Everything is a Hoax, The Earth Might Be Flat Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
some_guy Dennis Danzik Earth Engine Perpetual Motion Science and Pseudoscience 2
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Mick West TFTRH #14: Rory – Flat Earth Debunking and Spiritual Journeys Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Wiggles Refraction Variations Over Water to Bell Island Flat Earth 27
mudr0 Why do spacesuit-wearing astronauts need blankets after returning to Earth? Science and Pseudoscience 5
Wiggles I could have spiralled into flat earth belief. Escaping The Rabbit Hole 36
Priyadi Islamic Rituals and Spherical Earth Flat Earth 0
Mick West Demonstrating the Curve of the Earth with observations of Beachy Head from Worthing Flat Earth 38
Related Articles

Related Articles