Defamation lawsuit won Pozner vs Fetzer / Palecek

theHassan

This news even reached Central Europe. Quoting from English language source.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...assacre-victim-father-wins-defamation-lawsuit

The father of a victim of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre has won a defamation lawsuit against the authors of a book that claimed the shooting never happened; the latest victory for victims’ relatives who have been taking a more aggressive stance against conspiracy theorists.

The book, Nobody Died at Sandy Hook, has also been pulled from shelves to settle claims against its publisher filed by Lenny Pozner, whose six-year-old son, Noah, was killed in the shooting.
Content from External Source
“If Mr Fetzer wants to believe that Sandy Hook never happened and that we are all crisis actors, even that my son never existed, he has the right to be wrong. But he doesn’t have the right to broadcast those beliefs if they defame me or harass me,” Pozner said. “He doesn’t have the right to use my baby’s image or our name as a marketing ploy to raise donations or sell his products. He doesn’t have the right to convince others to hunt my family.”

I think actions like this can be useful to convince people who actually trust the establishment, but lack the information to fully understand what happened.

At the same time, I am not really conversant with the US legal system. Are the verdict and related document published in cases like this? Maybe someone who is more adept in such things could link them for all of us to learn.

At the same time, I am not really conversant with the US legal system. Are the verdict and related document published in cases like this? Maybe someone who is more adept in such things could link them for all of us to learn.
it says the damages wont be heard until October. if that is the case then the case is still on going.

there is a site https://sandyhookanalysis.blogspot.com that covers all the trials and legal proceedings against hoaxers in detail and provides documentation when they become available.

Sandy Hook father awarded $450,000 after suing conspiracy theorist

The father of a boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting has been awarded $450,000 by a jury in Wisconsin after he sued a conspiracy theorist who claimed the massacre never happened.

Leonard Pozner, whose six-year-old son Noah was among the 26 victims at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, sued James Fetzer and co-author Mike Palacek over their book Nobody Died at Sandy Hook, which claimed Noah’s death certificate is fake and Pozner lied about his son being dead.

While Palacek reached an undisclosed settlement with Pozner last month, the defamation suit proceeded against Fetzer. In court, Pozner, a retired Minnesota professor, claimed the statements and the harassment he had received because of the book had given him post-traumatic stress disorder.

Among them were death threats he received from Lucy Richards, a member of a group that believes Sandy Hook is a hoax used to push support for gun control.

Fetzer called the damages amount “absurd” and said he would appeal.

From

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...warded-450000-after-suing-conspiracy-theorist

Fetzer called the damages amount “absurd” and said he would appeal.

pfft. his claims are absurd. Good on the Jury!

This article is much more informative (and doesn't mislabel Pozner as a retired professor).
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_cdc741bf-4186-5ff3-af0c-e38be9f26592.html

Fetzer last month was found in contempt of court for sharing a confidential deposition of Pozner with fellow Sandy Hook “researchers” and ordered to make attempts to get the document back, as well as to pay the plaintiff’s attorneys $7,000 to cover the cost of bringing the contempt complaint.
Palecek, in a statement provided by Jacob Zimmerman, said “the court has ruled that the death certificate of Noah Pozner is not a fabrication as stated in the book ‘Nobody Died at Sandy Hook.’ I accept the court’s ruling without appeal, and I apologize for any resulting distress that I may have caused.”
Palecek, in a statement provided by Jacob Zimmerman, said “the court has ruled that the death certificate of Noah Pozner is not a fabrication as stated in the book ‘Nobody Died at Sandy Hook.’ I accept the court’s ruling without appeal, and I apologize for any resulting distress that I may have caused.”

Back