Debunked: The band on Lanza's hat wasnt used by Flexfit until 2013

deirdre

Senior Member.
Claim:
An email from an employee of Yupoong Flexfit proves Adam Lanza's hat shown in the State Police report crime photos (2012) wasn't available for purchase until 2013.

http://www.dukereichert.com/researc...os-not-manufactured-and-circulated-until-2013
https://archive.today/wE3Mb

from the alleged email
The only photo given – is limited in view, however I am able to blow the photo up and found more markings and numbers that have helped us in our search.
Content from External Source

b.)We updated the sweat band inside in 2013….but we continued to sell through the previous sweat band until stock levels depleted…However the new sweat band is pictured in this photo you have sent me. This is odd given the information you have given me.

This is the photo provided with the alleged email.

email.jpg

This is a closeup of the "numbers" on the label and the sweatband style in above photo.
hat.jpg

Closeup of another hat by Yupoong with the same band and a more specific patent number:
patent.JPG

List of ALL Yupoong patents here: http://www.faqs.org/patents/assignee/yupoong-inc/
The 1998 Yupoong patent for the famous Flexfit weft sweatband pictured above here

The sweatband shown on Lanza's hat is the "One and Only Original Flexfit" according to Yupoong Flexfit's Facebook page.

yy.jpg

2010 product reviews showing the original yupoong flexfit sweatband

The 'email' also states
2. Our inside label has identifying markers as to season/year of production, however the numbers on this hat do not seem to match any that we have produced, which is odd because I have contacted our overseas production department as well, and they also do not use those numbers.
The only numbers visible are the materials which are shown as 98%cotton 2% spandex. which matches the website for the bucket style hat. http://www.flexfit.com/hats/223/5003-flexfit-cotton-twill-bucket-hat

here's an additional crime scene photo that shows the style is indeed the flexfit bucket hat (with no flag label)
bh.JPG

the alleged email then claims
1.I cannot see if there is a Flexfit 'Flag' label (This specific label was only produced and sold on the east coast for a period of time. I can speculate that it was during this time based on the style of the hat, because I have been working here for well over 20 years, but it is not definitive.) This is on the brim, where the crown meets the brim top side.
Not sure what this is referring too as the style of the bucket hat has not changed since at least 2009. and the 2009 label on the brim isn't a flag https://web.archive.org/web/20090130043401/http://flexfit.com/product/5003

gg2.JPG

Finally the alleged email ends
There is an 'identifying marker' on this item I can see from the photo you have given - that can tell us when it was made and where it was purchased…However I am still looking into the number listed on the hat, trying to find out who made it (if it was even Felxtfit and find out the purchaser from this number.)
again I see no number.

Yupoong TM design seen on label from 2004 http://www.inovia.com/products/directory/trademarks-owned-by-yupoong,+inc/

Attachments

• gg1.JPG
    gg1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Very good English for a Korean company. And odd they'd go to this trouble tracking something down for a casual inquiry. Doesn't sound like normal customer service behavior at all.

Emails are notoriously easy to fake. I'd not even start to believe it until the original was forwarded to me so I could see the header data). Even that can be faked.

There is an 'identifying marker' on this item I can see from the photo you have given - that can tell us when it was made and where it was purchased

That is the smoking gun. Manufacturer can't add a number that says where it will be bought. So a 20-year employee would not suggest it.

Apart from that, I can't see why ONE bad police photo negates the reality of [the shooting].

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a bad police photo. What are you implying?

The author of the email was most likely an American employee.

It's not a bad police photo. What are you implying?

Just allowing that it has happened in the past that a wrong photo (ie from different case etc) gets mixed into some evidence. I am saying that even if this were the case (not saying it was, just IF) that still doesn't negate the whole shooting. IF ALL the evidence was faked, that would be a different story.

I still think the email is fake. Would want it forwarded to me before I'd even consider it.

If the claim is that the hat model wasn't available at the time, is it the claim therefore that the photos were taken a year or several months later when it was available and not on or around the time of the shooting? Or is it claiming the prop-managers who 'staged' the scene had access to a hat model not released?
Regardless, I still can't see the supposed evidence proving it wasn't available at the time or follow the alleged employee's logic in claiming that - there is clearly no batch number or other identifier on the hat.
Why would someone even suspect that this hat wasn't available at the time in the first place enough to send an email, or are they just firing off random emails to clothing manufacturers in the hope some anomaly will turn up?

Why would someone even suspect that this hat wasn't available at the time in the first place enough to send an email, or are they just firing off random emails to clothing manufacturers in the hope some anomaly will turn up?
Why would someone even think a nozzle on an airplane is suspicious? I don't know.

Perhaps the company should be contacted for further explanation of the email and its claim.
I wrote them but haven't heard back yet. Well I wrote someone in the company, but the chances they have knowledge of this particular email if real seems pretty slim to me.

Very nice Deirdre. I especially liked the comment from Bridget Norris. Completely and totally false. Look at something as simple as Levi's. Sure, some things may change over time or due to different facilities, but not all labels and products "are updated yearly." as she claims.

There's some fallout amongst the Sandy truthers -

Several newly banned Hoaxer Members have found out when happens when Bridget Norris' obviously fraudulent evidence is questioned, for example:

Bryan Roschetzky,a self-described hat collector tried to tell Tony Mead the sweatband was the old style. Well known and long time Sandy Hook Hoaxer Jeff Loeffler was banned when he questioned the evidence. He had this to say of Tony Mead, posted to the Sandy Hook Hoaxers Are Not Bright page:

"[Tony Mead] is a punk! Now I may not agree with this page but damn it when somebody gets that offensive over a dam hat, you have hot to call into question his sanity and intelligence and credibility. Again, I am not a fan of this page but I am no longer a fan of SHH! Just passing this on so others dont follow such a twit.
http://sandyhookanalysis.blogspot.com
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-elk-VT_yiaA/VAKSPGS65MI/AAAAAAAABV8/XTqMa9hzUr4/s1600/norris-toesox.png
There's also some more details, most are the same points from the OP, but include this one to show the email was fabricated -
The header not only doesn't match Bridget's previous Gmails, it doesn't match the Gmail style or format; an obvious sign of Bridget's dishonest tactic.

Thanks, was hoping for a more obvious proof.
I can't open this though, could just be my internet at the moment.

Thanks, was hoping for a more obvious proof.
I can't open this though, could just be my internet at the moment.
here's the text.
I edited out some identifying information with [..]

Bridgette []. <bridg[...]@gmail.com> Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM

To: leslie@flexfit.com

I was wondering if you were going to possibly call me back in regards to my recent request?
It would be much appreciated if you could keep me in the loop.
Thanks,
--
*::Bridgette::*

Leslie Umphrey <leslie@flexfit.com> Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM
To: "Bridgette []." <bridg[...]@gmail.com>

Hello Bridgette,
Sorry for the delay in responding…
I have reached out to my Production Team here and in NY..

And I contacted my factory overseas….to see if I could get some answers regarding
The production cycle – and being able to identify product by label etc…

So it has taken some time to go to the appropriate people who might help
In identifying the timeline as to when this was made..

Unfortunately – I cannot give you a definitive answer….

The only photo given – is limited in view..

1. I cannot see if there is a Flexfit Flag label
On the brim (where the crown meets the brim top side)

2. Our inside label does not have identifying markers as to season/year of production..
We produce blank inventory such as the bucket cap – and they are shipped to 2 different distribution centers..

One on the east coast and another on the west coast…so stock levels are sold and replenished regularly….
This style is carried over from year to year with little to no change –as it is a staple item..so we need to keep it consistent as
possible..for our customers/distributors who purchase it yearly….

My California distribution center alone - receives on an average 5 to 7… 40 foot containers of various cap styles weekly…

3. We did 2 updates to this cap within the last 9 years that I have been with the company…

a.) We removed the flag label from the brim – (I mentioned above) approx..3 years ago..
But we would have continued to sell through any product still in the warehouse until it was sold out – so it could have carried
over longer than when we actually stopped producing it with the label…

b.) We updated the sweat band inside this year….but we continued to sell through the previous sweat band (like the one in
your photo) Until stock levels depleted…

So there really is no identifying marker or item I can see from the photo you have given - that can tell us when it was made…

I’m sorry I could not be of more help – if you have any further questions plse let me know..
I wish you luck with what you’re looking for..

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Leslie

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:37 PM
To: leslie@flexfit.com
Subject: HELLO?

Bridgette []. <bridg[..]@gmail.com> Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

To: Leslie Umphrey leslie@flexfit.com

Leslie,
Thank you so much for this information. Even this has been helpful and I appreciate you looking into it and giving me the best description that you could.
I appreciate it so much.
Have a wonderful day.

@Keith Johnson sent me his email correspondence (photo) and phone recording (Mp3 attached) with Brian Yang, Flexfit V.P. Hickville NY.

Keith's blog here

keithemail2.jpg

And here's a line by line comparison of the emails from Keith's blog:

Flexfit's email from Leslie Umphrey to Bridgette in black.
Bridget's alleged email from Leslie Umphrey in Red.

all formatting is as in the emails

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Bridgette,

Sorry for the delay in responding...

I have reached out to my Production Team here and in NY.

And I contacted my factory overseas...to see if I could get some answers regarding

The production cycle- and being able to identify product by label etc...

Bridgettes email matches above

In identifying the timeline as to when this was made...

In identifying the timeline as to when this was made, who purchased the hat and when we changed our labeling.

Unfortunately-I cannot give you a definitive answer...

Unfortunately-I cannot give you a 'definitive' answer, although I can give you a really good idea and bet that I am 98% correct. I would just hate to find out that it could be wrong, so please keep that in mind.

The only photo given-is limited in view...

The only photo given-is limited in view, however I am able to blow the photo up and found more markings and numbers that have helped us in our search

here are the areas of issue:

1. I cannot see if there is a Flexfit 'Flag' label (This specific label was only produced and sold on teh east coast for a period of time. I can speculate that it was during this time based on the style of the hat, because I have been working here for well over 20 years, but it is not definitive)This is on the brim, where the crown meets the brim top side.

2. Our inside label does not have identifying markers as to season/year of production..

2. Our inside label has identifying markers as to season/year of production, however the numbers on this hat do not seem to match to any that we have produced, which is odd because I have contacted our overseas production department as well, and they also do not use those numbers.

We produce blank inventory such as the bucket cap- and they are shipped to 2 different distribution centers...

One on the east coast and another on the west coast...so stock levels are sold and replenished regularly...

We produce blank inventory such as the bucket cap and they are shipped to 2 different distribution centers.

One on the east coast and another on the west coast...so stock levels are sold and replenished regularly, but we do keep track of the numbers on the hats for inventory and identifying sales.

This style is carried over from year to year with little to no change- as it is a staple item.. so we need to keep it consistent as possible...for our customers/distributors who purchase it yearly...

This style is carried over from year to year with little to no change- as it is a staple item. So we need to keep it consistent as possible for our customers/distributors who purchase it yearly, but I do recognize that this hat was during a year we had been making changes by the lot.

My California distribution center alone-receives on an average 5 to 7...40 foot containers of various cap styles weekly...

My California distribution center alone-receives on an average 5 to 7...40 foot containers of various cap styles weekly.

3. We did 2 updates to this cap within the last 9 years that I have been with the company..

3. We have done 5 updates to this cap within the last 20 years that I have been with the company.

a) We removed the flag label from the brim- (I mentioned above) approx. 3 years ago..

a) We removed the flag label from the brim- (I mentioned above) approx. 3 years ago. with that being said, that would have been 2011. This photo was taken in 2012 [sic Allegedly]. that does not mean that this person would have not kept on to the hat after the year we removed the label. I would assume most people keep their hats years after the original purchase.

But we would have continued to sell through any product still in the warehouse until it sold out- so it could have carried over longer than when we actually stopped producing it with the label...

But we would have continued to sell through any product still in the warehouse until it sold out- so it could have carried over longer than when we actually stopped producing it with the label. I know that they stopped selling this item on the east coast and west coast both around the end of 2012.(not sure on the exact month and day)

b) We updated the sweatband inside this year...but we continued to sell through the previous sweatband (like the one in your photo) Until stocks levels depleted...

b) We updated the sweatband inside in 2013...but we continued to sell through the previous sweat band until stock levels depleted..However the new sweat band is pictured in this photo you have sent me. This is odd given the information that you have given me.

So there really is no identifying marker or item that I can see from the photo you have given- that can tell us when it was made...

There is an 'identifying marker' on this item I can see from the photo you have given-that can tell us when it was made and where it was purchased...However I am still looking into the number listed on the hat, trying to find out who made it (if it was even Flexfit and find out the purchaser from this number.)

I'm sorry I could not be more help- if you have any further questions plse let me know..

I'm sorry I could not be of more help right now-If you have any further questions please let me know. Until then I will continue to look into this and get back with you as my time allows. Sorry for the delayed response.

I wish you luck with what you're looking for...

I wish you luck with what you're looking for. I know it meant alot to you.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Leslie

Attachments

• Flexfit.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,275
Bridgette C. Ostler (occasionally "Bridget Norris") may have a future in creative writing.

Hats off :p to Keith Johnson et al for nailing this down! :)

@Keith Johnson sent me his email correspondence (photo) and phone recording (Mp3 attached) with Brian Yang, Flexfit V.P. Hickville NY.

Keith's blog here

keithemail2.jpg

And here's a line by line comparison of the emails from Keith's blog:

Flexfit's email from Leslie Umphrey to Bridgette in black.
Bridget's alleged email from Leslie Umphrey in Red.

all formatting is as in the emails

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Bridgette,

Sorry for the delay in responding...

I have reached out to my Production Team here and in NY.

And I contacted my factory overseas...to see if I could get some answers regarding

The production cycle- and being able to identify product by label etc...

Bridgettes email matches above

In identifying the timeline as to when this was made...

In identifying the timeline as to when this was made, who purchased the hat and when we changed our labeling.

Unfortunately-I cannot give you a definitive answer...

Unfortunately-I cannot give you a 'definitive' answer, although I can give you a really good idea and bet that I am 98% correct. I would just hate to find out that it could be wrong, so please keep that in mind.

The only photo given-is limited in view...

The only photo given-is limited in view, however I am able to blow the photo up and found more markings and numbers that have helped us in our search

here are the areas of issue:

1. I cannot see if there is a Flexfit 'Flag' label (This specific label was only produced and sold on teh east coast for a period of time. I can speculate that it was during this time based on the style of the hat, because I have been working here for well over 20 years, but it is not definitive)This is on the brim, where the crown meets the brim top side.

2. Our inside label has identifying markers as to season/year of production, however the numbers on this hat do not seem to match to any that we have produced, which is odd because I have contacted our overseas production department as well, and they also do not use those numbers.

We produce blank inventory such as the bucket cap- and they are shipped to 2 different distribution centers...

One on the east coast and another on the west coast...so stock levels are sold and replenished regularly...

We produce blank inventory such as the bucket cap and they are shipped to 2 different distribution centers.

One on the east coast and another on the west coast...so stock levels are sold and replenished regularly, but we do keep track of the numbers on the hats for inventory and identifying sales.

This style is carried over from year to year with little to no change- as it is a staple item.. so we need to keep it consistent as possible...for our customers/distributors who purchase it yearly...

This style is carried over from year to year with little to no change- as it is a staple item. So we need to keep it consistent as possible for our customers/distributors who purchase it yearly, but I do recognize that this hat was during a year we had been making changes by the lot.

My California distribution center alone-receives on an average 5 to 7...40 foot containers of various cap styles weekly...

My California distribution center alone-receives on an average 5 to 7...40 foot containers of various cap styles weekly.

3. We did 2 updates to this cap within the last 9 years that I have been with the company..

3. We have done 5 updates to this cap within the last 20 years that I have been with the company.

a) We removed the flag label from the brim- (I mentioned above) approx. 3 years ago..

a) We removed the flag label from the brim- (I mentioned above) approx. 3 years ago. with that being said, that would have been 2011. This photo was taken in 2012 [sic Allegedly]. that does not mean that this person would have not kept on to the hat after the year we removed the label. I would assume most people keep their hats years after the original purchase.

But we would have continued to sell through any product still in the warehouse until it sold out- so it could have carried over longer than when we actually stopped producing it with the label...

But we would have continued to sell through any product still in the warehouse until it sold out- so it could have carried over longer than when we actually stopped producing it with the label. I know that they stopped selling this item on the east coast and west coast both around the end of 2012.(not sure on the exact month and day)

b) We updated the sweatband inside this year...but we continued to sell through the previous sweatband (like the one in your photo) Until stocks levels depleted...

b) We updated the sweatband inside in 2013...but we continued to sell through the previous sweat band until stock levels depleted..However the new sweat band is pictured in this photo you have sent me. This is odd given the information that you have given me.

So there really is no identifying marker or item that I can see from the photo you have given- that can tell us when it was made...

There is an 'identifying marker' on this item I can see from the photo you have given-that can tell us when it was made and where it was purchased...However I am still looking into the number listed on the hat, trying to find out who made it (if it was even Flexfit and find out the purchaser from this number.)

I'm sorry I could not be more help- if you have any further questions plse let me know..

I'm sorry I could not be of more help right now-If you have any further questions please let me know. Until then I will continue to look into this and get back with you as my time allows. Sorry for the delayed response.

I wish you luck with what you're looking for...

I wish you luck with what you're looking for. I know it meant alot to you.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Leslie
Thank you so much for posting this. This kind of thing just makes me so angry...My blood is boiling as I write this.

2010 product review showing the original yupoong flexfit sweatband

I initially skipped over this video of Duane reviewing the Flexfit hat in 2010...
I mean, what could be said about such a simple hat for 3 minutes?

But the earnestness of the guy is absolutely charming.
Then he starts to laugh, and I swore I was watching a Saturday Night Live bit...
maybe I've just seen too damn much SNL since the '70s, but lovable, awkward
Duane would absolutely fit right in on NBC at about 12:41 Sunday morning...

Last edited:
I initially skipped over this video of Duane reviewing the Flexfit hat in 2010...
I mean, what could be said about such a simple hat for 3 minutes?

But the earnestness of the guy is absolutely charming.
Then he starts to laugh, and I swore I was watching a Saturday Night Live bit...
maybe I've just seen too damn much SNL since the '70s, but lovable, awkward
Duane would absolutely fit right in on NBC at about 12:41 Sunday morning...
lol, did you notice his cat gets the door open? :)

but seriously, see? you never know when youre sitting in your basement talking about your hat that someday you may be providing a nice debunk vid for a horrible hoax about murdered children.

Back