Debunked: Pyramid on Mars [Small Rock]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
20150706-122200-jyxj5 copy.jpg

The Mars Curiosity Rover has taken tens of thousands of photographs, and in those photographs are millions of rocks. It's inevitable that if you stare at millions of rocks for long enough, then you'll find a rock that resembles something.

In this case it's a pyramid shaped rock. "Life on Mars" fans have been quite enthusiastic about this, with some quite extreme claims:
http://exopolitics.org/nasa-curiosity-rover-photographs-pyramid-on-mars/
It's quite clear why no more photos were taken of the rock, it's just a tiny rock, quite a bit in the distance, that just happened to show up in one photo. One rock out of literally thousands seen within a few minutes. If you look at the wider panorama it's clear it's on a near by hill, and is actually quite small. In fact NASA scientists analyzed the photo, and determined it was about four inches tall.

And these "pyramids" are not that uncommon on Mars. Here's another one, or maybe two. Look how incredibly straight the edges are, can this possibly be natural?

Actually yes, I joke a little to illustrate the point. Those are just two small rocks in my back yard.
20150706-125417-fn0lp.jpg

I went outside to see how how easy it was to duplicate the image with just natural rocks and my iPhone. The rocks round here (El Dorado County, California) naturally fracture along straight lines, and the two pieces I propped up were just laying on the ground by the rock formation. And they are about the same size as the Mars rock.

And I didn't even have to pose the rocks, a larger boulder had quite a nice pyramid shape:

Not quite as straight sided as the smaller examples, but remember this is just me wandering around outside for ten minutes. Curiosity has been taking photos for years, and there's a lot more rocks on Mars than there is in my back yard. A small pyramid shaped rock is simply an inevitability.

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
:(

I'm totally jealous. Did i mention i collect rocks and triangles are my favorites? have these two sitting on my desk right now. Youre gonna have to fed ex me a bunch, yours are much straighter than ours.

P1010355.JPG

Attachments

Skaredstiff

It is interesting that there is also a theory that goes along with this story is that Martian beings are very tiny indeed. Like in the 3-5 cm range so that even though all of the photos that got past the NASA censors clearly show what they are claimed to be showing as intelligent design and that NASA is also hiding the fact that these tiny species have high intelligence as depicted by the perfect design of this pyramid etc....

Steve Funk

Senior Member.
My 5 year old granddaughter noticed this morning that the inside of one of her cheerios formed a triangle. Maybe she's on to something.

Chew

Senior Member.
Sometimes these images are captured by Curiosity's Navcams which are mounted to give a stereoscopic view. The distance of an object from the cameras can easily be computed with a little trig. The cameras are separated by 42.4 cm and have an image resolution of 0.82 milliradians/pixel (0.047°/pixel). For a quick calculation accurate for most circumstances, measure the difference in horizontal pixel position between a common point in a pair of images and divide that difference into 517 to get the distance in meters.

For an example, a recent YT video claimed to have found a woman on Mars:
Untitled.png

She was captured by the Navcams so we can calculate her distance from the rover:
http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=NRB_486375691EDR_F0481570NCAM00322M_&s=1001
http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=NLB_486375691EDR_F0481570NCAM00322M_&s=1001

The "woman" is offset by 75 pixels between the two Navcam images. That means she is 6.9 meters from the cameras.

She is 15 pixels tall. At the above distance from the camera she would be 8.5 centimeters (3.3 inches) tall.

Which is outside the 3-5 cm range quoted by Skaredstiff... :D

Tables 4 and 5 have the pertinent data of the Navcams: https://www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/publications/Mark_Maimone/fulltext.pdf#page=4

Skaredstiff

Martian Zulu woman? There are taller than average humans here on Earth too... Seems like anything under 10 cm would be reasonable height for the imaginary mini beings that are being suppressed by NASA? She look hot and well built BTW!

Sagittarius

View attachment 13761

The image was taken by the Curiosity Rover’s Right Mastcam on Sol 978 (May 7). Despite the startling symmetry of the pyramid, none of the Curiosity Rover’s subsequent photos taken at 20 to 30 sec intervals in the following few minutes and the subsequent photos hours later, included the object. It appears that the NASA operators of Curiosity deliberately chose not to take another photo or zoom in on the pyramid. If they however did so, none of these subsequent photos were released to the general public.

It's quite clear why no more photos were taken of the rock, it's just a tiny rock, quite a bit in the distance, that just happened to show up in one photo. One rock out of literally thousands seen within a few minutes. If you look at the wider panorama it's clear it's on a near by hill, and is actually quite small. In fact NASA scientists analyzed the photo, and determined it was about four inches tall.

Actually, it does appear in two other photos from that same sol, though from further away:

Here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0978ML0043200040404228E01_DXXX&s=978 and
here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0978ML0043270010404268E01_DXXX&s=978

Exactly, that is the law of large numbers. When you have enough random stuff there are always patterns to find that are less random.

Hevach

Senior Member.
It's really cool how intricate the erosion patterns on that rock are. A formation like that on Earth wouldn't last long before weather or life broke it off.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
derrick06 "Pyramid Power Plant" Debunked UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
Eden Debunked: Mysterious/Alien Pyramid inside Area 51/NTS/NNSS Conspiracy Theories 20
mrfintoil Debunked: The Great pyramid of Giza and the Speed of Light UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
derrick06 Debunked: United Nations creates a "NWO" website Conspiracy Theories 2
N Debunked: Google Mail icon shows linkage to Freemasons Conspiracy Theories 4
Mendel Debunked: The WHO did not take the Taiwan CDC seriously Coronavirus COVID-19 0
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mendel Debunked: Radar Waves Affect Clouds General Discussion 0
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
M Ufos arrive to the central zone of Chile. (Debunked). Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jesse3959 FE Debunked with water tube level - 187 foot building 21.2 miles away below eye level Flat Earth 0
H Debunked: Cadillac Mountain from 220 miles Flat Earth 7
Jesse3959 FE Claim Debunked: JTolan Epic Gravity Experiment - Flat earther disproves Perspective! (or his instruments.) Flat Earth 0
Mick West Debunked: DoD prepares for martial law in CONUS: Conspiracy Theories 0
Oystein Debunked: AE911T: CNBC Anchor Ron Insana claims Building 7 a Controlled Implosion 9/11 13
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
Greylandra Debunked: media headline "Judea declares war on Germany" [boycott] Conspiracy Theories 20
Mick West Discovery Channel's "Contact: Declassified Breakthrough" was debunked 2.5 years ago UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
Joe Hill Debunked: "The North Face of Building 7 Was Pulled Inward" 9/11 66
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
Staffan Debunked: Wikileaks releases unused footage of moon landing (Capricorn One movie scenes) Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Debunked: Neil deGrasse Tyson : "That Stuff is Flat" Flat Earth 10
Mendel Debunked: Air Map of the World 1945 is a flat Earth map Flat Earth 0
Trailblazer Debunked: Trees being cut down "because they block 5G" (tree replacement in Belgium) 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 44
deirdre Debunked: Exemption from military service doc proves Jews had foreknowledge of WW2 (fake leaflet) General Discussion 0
Trailblazer Debunked: Obama called Michelle "Michael" in a speech. (Referring to Michael Mullen Jr) Quotes Debunked 0
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
Rory Debunked: The Lunar Cycle affects birth rates Health and Quackery 26
Rory Debunked: Study shows link between menstrual cycle and the moon Health and Quackery 30
novatron Debunked: California Wildfires Match the Exactly Path of the Proposed Rail System Wildfires 3
Rory Debunked: "You must love yourself before you love another" - fake Buddha quote Quotes Debunked 7
W Debunked: Qanon claims there have been 51k sealed indictments filed this year. Current Events 11
K Debunked: Audio of David Rockefeller "leaked" speech in 1991 [Audio Simulation] General Discussion 2
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Mick West Debunked: XYO Device Replacing GPS, Saving $2 Million a Day General Discussion 23
Mick West Debunked: "Tip Top" as a QAnon Clue from Trump [He's said it before] Conspiracy Theories 3
Whitebeard Debunked: Nibiru FOUND? Mysterious gigantic rogue planet spotted lurking outside our solar system Science and Pseudoscience 1
Mick West Debunked: "There Exists a Shadowy Government" — Daniel Inouye Quotes Debunked 0
Mick West Debunked: Delta Lambda Compression General Discussion 16
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
JFDee Debunked: Wernher von Braun confirmed that rockets can't leave earth Conspiracy Theories 23
Mick West Debunked: Missing $21 Trillion / $6.5 Trillion / $2.3 Trillion - Journal Vouchers Conspiracy Theories 33
MikeG Debunked: Obamacare Article 54 (Satire FB Page) General Discussion 2
Mick West Debunked: "Deadly Ultraviolet UV-C and UV-B Penetration to Earth’s Surface:" [Stray Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 30
Astro Debunked: Apollo Lunar Module Hatch Too Small for Spacesuit Science and Pseudoscience 0
Mick West Debunked: NIST's Lack of Explanation for WTC7 Freefall [They Have One - Column Buckling] 9/11 38
Jedo Debunked: WTC7 was the only building not on the WTC block that had a fire on 9/11 9/11 0
Mick West Debunked: Thermite Slag on WTC beams [Oxy Cutting Slag] 9/11 2
Related Articles

Related Articles