Debunked: Government Buying Iodine in Response to Fukushima Fallout.

Thank you, now to determine if this is to replace old stocks or ???

It is doses for 700,000 folks

Line No. 001; potassium iodide tablet, 65mg, unit dose package of 20s; 700,000 packages (of 20s)[ex/]
Content from External Source

It seems quite plausible that this story is simply an attempt by Infowars to boost sales of their own (overly expensive) iodine supplements:

http://www.storyleak.com/government-stockpiling-iodine-fukushima-meltdown/ (http://archive.is/HdqDP)

And silently stockpiling iodine is certainly the way that The Department of Health and Human Services would prepare for such an event. As of this morning, a government source has told me that this purchase is indeed bizarre given the quantity and delivery time frame (requiring a whopping 14 million doses by February 1st), and it goes alongside preparations we have seen in the past where the official response will likely play off the mega purchase as a ‘routine bulk acquisition with no real urgency or threat’.

The reality is that even getting a hold of low quality potassium iodide, which I would not ever personally take over a higher quality form of pure iodine, is becoming difficult as the population becomes aware of Fukushima’s expansive dangers. Many manufacturers are now stockpiling raw iodine and holding on to the element as a form of investment with the knowledge that Fukushima may very well meltdown in the coming months. For this reason, we have had a very hard time securing our nascent iodine formula that many in the field of preparedness have been stockpiling for quite some time.
The link goes to:
http://www.infowarsshop.com/Survival-Shield--Nascent-Iodine_p_1104.html (http://archive.is/uewaq)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_National_Stockpile

That these things are stockpiled is unsurprising. Where is the evidence of a suspicious purchase?

It's probably just something like -
Iodine = radiation treatment = foreknowledge of radiation fallout disaster, either from fukushima or a planned nuclear attack/dirty bomb.
And 700 000 is probably the amount of necessary personnel to keep the elite in champagne and chocolate.

(where does the '14 million doses' come from?)

Drill down to the federal website and you'll see the government is not buying anything. It is a RFQ or Request for Quote. The US wants to know how much this stuff would cost. It's called contingency planning.

And this is where it is going:
http://sscweb.psc.gov/index.cfm

With over 88 years in operation, the Supply Service Center (SSC) offers expert, trouble-free health supply management support. SSC is a full-service national and international source of pharmaceutical, medical, and dental supplies to federal civilian agencies as well as branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

SSC, a bulk pharmaceutical repackaging facility registered with the Food and Drug Administration, offers the following services:

• Procurement of pharmaceutical, medical, and dental equipment and supplies
  • Distribution
  • Storage
  • Repackaging
  • Relabeling
  • Custom unit-of-use prepacks
  • Custom medical, dental, and diagnostic kits and assemblies
  • Clinical trial management and distribution center
  • Pharmaceutical shelf-life extension programs
  • Specialized assistance and logistical support for Presidential initiatives, national emergencies, and medical readiness programs
  • Onsite training for pharmacy and supply-chain management
  • Technical assistance and supply support for foreign assistance projects
Offered to:

All federal agencies
Basically it's the pharmacy for the federal government and the U.S. armed forces. So it's hardly surprising that they buy in bulk.

I bet if you test the iodine for sale on that website, its just water... I wouldn't put it past Alex Jones.

I remember back when the fukushima accident occurred, potassium iodide (that had been expired) was being sold on eBay at massively inflated prices. I don't even know where or how you would obtain this stuff and know tthat you got the genuine article. But it would be interesting to test the quality and legitimacy of the potassium iodine that Alex Jones is selling. They seem to have made a career of scrutinizing household products and claiming they're dangerous. I wonder what would happen if his products went under real scientific scrutiny.

Last edited:
It seems that the conspiracy theorist logic is that someone who buys a fire extinguisher is planning to start a fire.
Well I know a few firefighters that were pyromaniacs . No I think their logic is that they feel they are not being told the truth about dangers coming from Japan . I see nothing wrong with that . I will pass being I am allergic to Iodine .

Well I know a few firefighters that were pyromaniacs . No I think their logic is that they feel they are not being told the truth about dangers coming from Japan . I see nothing wrong with that . I will pass being I am allergic to Iodine .

So they tell lies about the US purchasing iodine? And then sell their own iodine?

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/radiological/documents/institutions.pdfPotassium Iodine is useful in treatment for ONLY I-131 the program has been around since the late 80s and was redone in 2001. States with a population living with in 10 miles of a nuclear power plant are encouraged to participate in the program which makes available KI tablets to that populace. A package of 20 KI tablets is enough for 10 doses (2@65 Mg). there is nothing secret about the program as you can find all of the details on the federal site as well as numerous state sites. The Tablets only work if you take them immediately before or during exposure and only protect the thyroid gland.

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/radiological/documents/institutions.pdfPotassium Iodine is useful in treatment for ONLY I-131 the program has been around since the late 80s and was redone in 2001. States with a population living with in 10 miles of a nuclear power plant are encouraged to participate in the program which makes available KI tablets to that populace. A package of 20 KI tablets is enough for 10 doses (2@65 Mg). there is nothing secret about the program as you can find all of the details on the federal site as well as numerous state sites. The Tablets only work if you take them immediately before or during exposure and only protect the thyroid gland.
then why is this spefific one a big deal? something is up for sure.

It is a request for quote for the Govt's agency that acts as a pharmacy for the armed services - read the thread.

Because of poor vetting skills. A little research would show that the supply has to be repurchased every 5 years because they expire.

I remember back when the fukushima accident occurred, potassium iodide (that had been expired) was being sold on eBay at massively inflated prices. I don't even know where or how you would obtain this stuff and know tthat you got the genuine article. But it would be interesting to test the quality and legitimacy of the potassium iodine that Alex Jones is selling. They seem to have made a career of scrutinizing household products and claiming they're dangerous. I wonder what would happen if his products went under real scientific scrutiny.
Alex is actually selling "Nascent Iodine" which is something that you can take orally..but yeah I know what you mean. He is a sellout nowadays. back when I first started listening to him in 2009 he wasn't a big time salesman like he is now. He was just a conspiracy nut from texas.

The only new news in this issue is that a contract was requested to replace the expiring KI. Note the timeline below this program has been running in its current form since 2002. Unless someone disagrees I see this issue as debunked.

http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-...reparedness/potassium-iodide.html#eligibility

Section 127 of the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (the Bioterrorism Act) requires State and local governments through the national KI stockpile to distribute KI tablets to population within 20 miles of a nuclear power plant. The Bioterrorism Act also directed the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to study the expanded distribution of potassium iodide and report back to the President on the best distribution methods to accomplish such an expanded distribution. The NAS published this study in January 2004.

On August 29, 2005, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published draft guidelines for State, local, and tribal governments, for the expanded distribution, stockpiling, and utilization of KI in the event of a radioactive iodine release from a commercial nuclear power plant incident. On September 2, 2005, HHS issued a correction to add deadline for receiving public comments. The NRC provided comments to the draft guidelines on November 1, 2005.

On July 3, 2007, President Bush delegated his authority to invoke the waiver provision in Section 127 to his science advisor, Dr. Marbuger, Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy at the White House. In a January 22, 2008 memo, Dr. Marburger announced his decision to invoke the Section 127(f) waiver. A technical paper on the issue of KI was prepared by the Federal Radiological Protection Coordinating Committee KI Sub-Committee at the request of Dr. Marburger as part of his determination process.

The gubmint scientists aren't dumb enough to think KI will protect anyone from another meltdown. KI is a defense from I-131. I-131 is produced only during the fission process and the Fukushima reactors haven't undergone fission since they were shut down by the earthquake.

The gubmint scientists aren't dumb enough to think KI will protect anyone from another meltdown. KI is a defense from I-131. I-131 is produced only during the fission process and the Fukushima reactors haven't undergone fission since they were shut down by the earthquake.
That is why they are only recomended for those living within a 20 mile radius of the plants. KI must be taken immediately preceding or during an exposure period.

And I think it's worth explaining "KI is a defense from I-131."

KI = Potassium Iodide.
I-131 = Radioactive iodine.

KI is ONLY a defense against radioactive iodine, it will not protect you against "radiation" in other forms, such as strontium and cesium - the main substances reported leaking from Fukushima. It works very simply by basically filling you up with safe iodine, so your body (specifically your thyroid gland) does not absorb any more radioactive iodine , and you pee it out. It's not a magic anti-radiation pill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potass...tion_due_to_nuclear_accidents_and_emergencies

Last edited:
And I think it's worth explaining "KI is a defense from I-131."

KI = Potassium Iodide.
I-131 = Radioactive iodine.

KI is ONLY a defense against radioactive iodine, it will not protect you against "radiation" in other forms, such as strontium and cesium - the main substances reported leaking from Fukushima. It works very simply by basically filling you up with safe iodine, so your body (specifically your thyroid gland) does not absorb any more radioactive iodine , and you pee it out. It's not a magic anti-radiation pill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potass...tion_due_to_nuclear_accidents_and_emergencies
To build on that Mick it protects ONLY the thyroid, no other organ, part, or system

That is why they are only recomended for those living within a 20 mile radius of the plants. KI must be taken immediately preceding or during an exposure period.

The state of Connecticut mailed me a pack because I lived near the Millstone nuclear power plant. iirc people were selling them on eBay for $50 a tablet. I could have made $300!

For further documentation that this is an ongoing program with previous orders made, see this 2007 page: Anbex: Government Acquisition of iOSAT
ANBEX is pleased to announce that, since 2002, the US NRC has awarded ANBEX contracts to acquire 12 million tablets. These tablets have been distributed among 20 States with nuclear power facilities, but will be available only to people who reside within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant.
I propose that the thread title be updated with a "Dubunked:" label. Since the bunk part is that it has something to do with Fukushima, perhaps "Dubunked: Government Buying Iodine in Response to Fukushima Fallout."

For further documentation that this is an ongoing program with previous orders made, see this 2007 page: Anbex: Government Acquisition of iOSAT
ANBEX is pleased to announce that, since 2002, the US NRC has awarded ANBEX contracts to acquire 12 million tablets. These tablets have been distributed among 20 States with nuclear power facilities, but will be available only to people who reside within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant.
I propose that the thread title be updated with a "Dubunked:" label. Since the bunk part is that it has something to do with Fukushima, perhaps "Dubunked: Government Buying Iodine in Response to Fukushima Fallout."

Agreed

Back