Debunked: Boston Marathon Bombing: James Costello Ripped Clothes

I saw a man at the Marathon with his shirt cut diagonally on the front. Was a very fine cut, for lack of a better term. Didn't notice any bleeding at all and I think I would have; he was wearing a light blue shirt.
Yes, that same man was spotted having his wardrobe cut up with a razor knife to make it look more bomb like...

7:45 - 8:10 of this video shows the man your talking about getting his clothes cut up.

Yes, that same man was spotted having his wardrobe cut up with a razor knife to make it look more bomb like...

7:45 - 8:10 of this video shows the man your talking about getting his clothes cut up.

Now you're just making things up. An overhead shot of nothing.

When I blew my MCL 8 years ago, I could walk pain free most of that afternoon, mostly running on adrenaline, in my opinion. Pain set in that evening, and I was unable to walk or even put weight on my leg that night and the following days.
I saw a man at the Marathon with his shirt cut diagonally on the front. Was a very fine cut, for lack of a better term. Didn't notice any bleeding at all and I think I would have; he was wearing a light blue shirt.
Nope. It was a different guy. You are wrong, but nice try!
JamesCastelo.JPG
This is the man that had his clothing shredded by the cop in said video. This is the one you are talking about. Ive studied over 1000 seperate images of Boston bombing and this is the only light blue shirt man with vertical cuts in his shirt.

JamesCastelo.JPG
This is the man that had his clothing shredded by the cop in said video. This is the one you are talking about. Ive studied over 1000 seperate images of Boston bombing and this is the only light blue shirt man with vertical cuts in his shirt.
Or maybe that person he saw didn't have their picture taken that shows the ripped shirt. Or you haven't looked at enough pictures.

JamesCastelo.JPG

You've studied photos. I was there. Your arrogance is beyond words.

The man I'm talking about is not the man you have posted a picture of. He was an older man with hair and only had the one shirt laceration running diagonally down the front of his shirt. His pants were fine and not cut up like the man in the picture you provided.

JamesCastelo.JPG

Ripping clothes are used by paramedics at almost any procedure at trauma victims. Like: "let me get rid of this clothes to see the real damage". It happens even in fiction shows like ER and others.

What I see happening to this victim is:
- bomb explodes and the guy falls
- paramedic thorns clothes apart and sees that the wounds are not that bad, "only" burned skin.
- paramedic says to the guy to walk to the ambulances because there are other victims in much worse conditions.
- lucky photographer shots a premium picture
- internet "detectives" cry: how can the bomb destroy his clothes, but not harm him? he's an actor!
- guy has to endure months of rehabilitation, no rights to his privacy (I'm sure he didn't sign anything about allowing his image to be exposed) and years to come of harassment

Ripping clothes are used by paramedics at almost any procedure at trauma victims. Like: "let me get rid of this clothes to see the real damage". It happens even in fiction shows like ER and others.

What I see happening to this victim is:
- bomb explodes and the guy falls
- paramedic thorns clothes apart and sees that the wounds are not that bad, "only" burned skin.
- paramedic says to the guy to walk to the ambulances because there are other victims in much worse conditions.
- lucky photographer shots a premium picture
- internet "detectives" cry: how can the bomb destroy his clothes, but not harm him? he's an actor!
- guy has to endure months of rehabilitation, no rights to his privacy (I'm sure he didn't sign anything about allowing his image to be exposed) and years to come of harassment

Background:

http://news.yahoo.com/marathon-bombing-survivor-wants-others-remembered-063342868.html

BOSTON (AP) — The image showed James "Bim" Costello staggering away from the Boston Marathon bombing, his jeans shredded and blackened, his body so burned that he was left needing pig skin grafts on most of his right arm and right leg.

Costello had plucked two rusty roofing nails from his stomach and was trying to walk toward any help he could find following the explosions, his ears ringing, his body pebbled with shrapnel, and his mind reeling from the thought moments earlier that he might be dying.

Kenshin Okubo, a photographer for Boston University newspaper The Daily Free Press, captured the photo of Costello in the immediate aftermath of the April 15 terrorist attack that killed three people and injured more than 260 others. The Associated Press got permission to use the image and distributed it globally.

Since that day, the 30-year-old bombing victim has heard from many people who want to know if he is the unidentified survivor in that photo.

A month later, Costello said he's ready to share his story because he fears people are starting to forget the plight of victims who suffered life-altering injuries he calls much worse than his own.

"I guess what I want to say is, 'Don't forget about the people that are seriously hurt and the people that died,'" Costello said Friday in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

View gallery

In this photo provided by The Daily Free Press and photographer Kenshin Okubo, Boston Marathon bombi …
"Don't worry about me," he said. "I'm good ... I'll just be here to support my friends."

Costello said he had been going to watch the marathon for about a decade. This year, he was gathered with friends near the finish line and watching for another friend who was running when the bombs went off.

Three of Costello's friends lost a leg, including brothers Paul Norden, 31, and J.P. Norden, 33. Other friends suffered serious burns and shrapnel injuries after the second bomb exploded outside Forum restaurant on Boylston Street.

Costello spent about two weeks at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he underwent multiple surgeries and was among patients who met President Barack Obama. He returned home for the first time Saturday after nearly two weeks of in-patient therapy at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

The Malden, Mass., resident still has one BB embedded under the skin on his right knee, a couple more in his right calf, and another by his belly button. What he believes are metal shavings of bomb debris are still working their way out of skin on his right arm. It hurts when Costello stands still for too long, so he steps from side to side, dancing to ward off pain as blood pools in his injured leg.
Content from External Source

As Mick destroyed my claim that a paramedic or cop ripped Costello's clothes ;) , here are some videos of explosions doing "funny" things to clothes:

1) Manhole explodes and "apparently" only the first layer of clothes is ripped:

2) Guy slash truck tire and it explodes - his shirt is thorn apart

Another video shows the aftermath of a bomb explosion. After the explosion people are at first in shock or running, than start moving, raising hands to call for help, etc. The scene is very similar to Boston.
This one I'm using only to illustrate how the aftermath of Boston is expected (people in shock and running, raising hands, sometimes little blood, etc)

Back