Coronavirus Related Shortages in Shops

Dingo

An odd one, my wife works at an adult store here in Aus. She's been having people asking for sex toy cleaner to use in lieu of hand sanitizer, since they have been unable to buy it.

For the record from what I can tell toy cleaners aren't alcohol based and won't function like sanitizer, they're effectively soap that's internal safe and gentle on silicon. Better than nothing but equivalent to washing your hands with soapy water.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I just noticed this note on the receipt for my last shop, from Forklift.
Metabunk 2020-03-24 07-47-32.jpg
It makes sense, in terms of preventing spread of infection. But also dissuades impulsive bulk purchases

Costco also had a sign saying no returns, but just on items people were buying in excessive bulk, like toilet paper.

M Bornong

Bakersfield California, wife and I ventured to the grocery store for the first time since the panic buying began, we had heard that dairy and produce were more available and we've been out of those for a few days. Everything was limited to 1 item per customer, we didn't get what we wanted, but will manage on the perishables we were able to get for another week or so, and still good on non-perishables, for several weeks.

I talked to a friend on the other side of town this morning, his daughter tried to get milk, eggs, and a bag of potatoes, she struck out after 3 stores.

Paper, rice, beans, pasta completely empty, cans thin. One of the employees was on the paper aisle ordering, he said he goes through the motions everyday to restock the entire section. The distribution center can still only ship at about the same rate as the pre-panic buying days, so they get enough to fill about 1/4 of the space every morning, people are still lining up before the store opens and clear the shelves in the first hour or 2 even with their limiting to one item per customer and limiting number of people in the store at any one time. I've heard our big box stores are about the same

Agent K

Q: What's better, newspapers or television?
A: Newspapers. You can't wipe your ass with a TV.

Q: What food is good for quarantine?
A: Matzo
Q: Because it has a long shelf life?
A: It can be slipped under the door.
Q: What should I eat during the pandemic?
A: Lots of garlic.
Q: To boost the immune system?
A: No, to keep others six feet away from you.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if everyone does it.

qed

South Africa has banned the sale of alcohol and cigarettes for the three week shutdown! :eek:

Alcohol I get, but cigarettes feels like liberal mischief.

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
South Africa has banned the sale of alcohol and cigarettes for the three week shutdown! :eek:

Seems like the reasoning is that it's not an essential good, so trips to buy cigarettes are not essential.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...es-prohibited-during-21-day-lockdown-45566024
It might backfire, as smokers usually have some degree of physical addiction that makes it very hard to just stop - so they are going to be seeking cigarettes anyway, and might spend longer out trying to find them.

It's like a giant experiment.

qed

I have got an old vape up and working and found vape juice at a store. The cigarettes had all been removed but the juice flies under the law. So I am vaping. Bought a lot of juice. Coffee is still counted as an essential, thank goodness.

deirdre

Staff member

that's messed up. so youll have a bunch of criminal types with the DTs breaking into homes to steal liquor and cigs. nice. (people with DTs will probably also end up at the hospital)

Mendel

Yep. All those liberal doctors, telling you smoking impairs your lungs. It's a conspiracy! And the evil WHO is in on it! I expect that the medical advisors are aware that banning smoking has a positive effect on the health issues that could impact a patient's ability to cope with Covid-19.

WHO FAQ:
From a more in-depth summary (WHO again):
Now you may think, but will I benefit from quitting smoking before I get infected? Sure you will!
In short, Coronavirus attacks the heart and the lungs; smoking impairs the heart and the lungs; but if you quit smoking, you can see improvements in days, weeks and months that should improve your ability to cope with this infection.

Last edited:

derwoodii

firearm & ammo purchase have been temporarily banned in Victoria Australia due to spike in permit & ownership applications.. This ban seems to be now across Australia states in varying degrees spuring the typical for and against arguments.. But as going out to shop to buy a gun is not on the allowed stage 3 restricted movement list its a mute point..

Victoria bans guns after permit applications more than double amid COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.9news.com.au/national/v...pandemic/c79be725-280d-4173-b761-e364d4544433

deirdre

Staff member
Yep. All those liberal doctors, telling you smoking impairs your lungs. It's a conspiracy! And the evil WHO is in on it! I expect that the medical advisors are aware that banning smoking has a positive effect on the health issues that could impact a patient's ability to cope with Covid-19.
In America, we call that the Nanny State. (ie. liberals). just saying.

Graham2001

Local shops are implementing purchase limits of two items per customer in certain foods, but it's still virtually impossible to get toilet paper unless you get to the store as close to opening as possible.

derwoodii

Local shops are implementing purchase limits of two items per customer in certain foods, but it's still virtually impossible to get toilet paper unless you get to the store as close to opening as possible.

sorry chap where about are you ??

Things returning to near normal in OZ a few shelves thin of things, but my veggie patches & seed bank has been prepper renovated by dear SWMBO.. Heck stay at home rules say i cant even go fishing so got the .22 out to stalk some bunnies but dearly hope it dont need go that far they taste yuk..

This whole episode down under has been very mild in word comparison thankfully due to island country border control and generally good public behavior, i think we are hovering about 40 plus dead and 5000 infected this will rise but talk is we seem to have plateaued