Claim: Photo shows control rats with tumors in Séralini study

derwoodii

Senior Member.
i am tryin to find the source of this picture of 4 rats [supposedly from the Séralini study] the 4th frame shows the control rat with tumors.

rat_with_control (1).jpg

In comparison with the well spoken and perhaps cropped picture of 3 rats but no control.. The net so awash with the 3 rats piccy i am having some bother any help pls.

gmo-rat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, will dig some more via this week in pseudoscience, it is odd that controls rats are mentioned as stronger survivors yet they don't look to good in the black n white 4 shot picture

Control male animals survived on average 624 ± 21 days, whilst
females lived for 701 ± 20, during the experiment, plus in each case
5 weeks of age at the beginning and 3 weeks of stabilization period.
After mean survival time had elapsed, any deaths that occurred
were considered to be largely due to aging. Before this period,
30% control males (three in total) and 20% females (only two) died
spontaneously, while up to 50% males and 70% females died in
some groups on diets containing the GM maize (F
Content from External Source
http://www.iatp.org/files/GMOtoxicityreport.pdf

and that the control picture may look to be tampered.

Given the context I think maybe it was meant to be a meme illustrating criticism of the report leaving out the control group to emphasise the other results, but not meant to be taken as real.

the "M" is wrong too.

you want to be looking for single rat pics though if youre trying to determine where the control pic originated from. since it isn't in the Seralini study.

but PDFs don't show in google images I don't think. and they could have grabbed it from a book (hence the black and white ).

good luck.

thanks again i did all the google image digging but you all have bested my efforts, I dont do twitter but will try to ask pseudoscience if its a fake omission or attempt to convey an idea

Given the context I think maybe it was meant to be a meme illustrating criticism of the report leaving out the control group to emphasise the other results, but not meant to be taken as real.

yes i think your right as i asked TWIPS about the image and got a fast helpful reply from Sebastian Larsen who agreed to be posted up here saying

Re: Picture of rats with Tumors from your page Add to contacts

24/11/2014
(seborgarsen@gmail.com)

To: Derwoodii dii

That image might be from another study. The point is that the control group rats would look exactly the same and why Seralini didn't include them initially. The study is bogus.
and then he added further

24/11/2014

To: Derwoodii dii

I found the image somewhere on Facebook. The point was to convey the idea, source is unknown but probably fake

thanks to TWIPS

the song from Sesame Street keeps going in my head when I look at it. "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

because the background, the camera the film (I think the 4th added on may be actual film like they used back in the days of the dinosaurs : )

font differences. to me it's definitely 'fake'.

Back