CBS San Fransico local news story about Marine Cloud Brightening Project.

CeruleanBlu

Senior Member.
This local story caught my eye, and I only found one other mention of "cloud brightening" mentioned in this thread, (Rhoad Island Bill H5480 - Relating to the Health and Safety of Geoengineering,) so I thought maybe it would be a good idea to begin a thread that can be moved if necessary or modified for future use.

To begin with, here is the source article:

In a Silicon Valley research lab, scientists are working on what might be considered the option of last resort for global warming.

“It’s an insurance policy,” said researcher Sudhanshu Jain.

It’s called the Marine Cloud Brightening Project, and it’s designed to fight global warming by making clouds over the ocean thicker and brighter so they reflect more sunlight and cool the planet.

The Sunnyvale team has reached a milestone with this high-pressure nozzle that uses salt water and looks like a normal water spray. But it took scientists a year to come up with the exact rate, flow and pressure so that the water droplets come out to the perfect size.

The salt particles are so small that in order to see them with the naked eye, you have to turn off the lights and use a laser.

Once the nozzle is fine-tuned, the plan is to use a barge to shoot the salt particles into the sky and see what happens.

The researchers say you can already see the concept at work.

Satellite images show the shiptracks from vessels crisscrossing the ocean, spewing exhaust that turns into clouds and last up to a week.

The project needs several more years and millions of dollars in funding before its widespread use.

In 2012, the National Academy of Sciences wrote, “the seriousness of the consequences of global warming merits research into the possibility of using cloud brightening for climate engineering.”

Robert Wood, one of the top atmospheric scientists in the world, says we owe it to future generations to study it now.

“Now I don’t think this should be a solution, but I think it’s morally, for me, it’s appropriate to at least do the research to find out more about it,” Wood said.
Content from External Source
And a YouTube link to the video in case the sites player is wonky:

A few things I noticed in the video that I wanted to bring up, this is mentioned in the beginning of the video with, "this is an option of last resort," and "an insurance policy", meaning that this proposed idea is still under development, which is stated in a sort of awkward way.
"The project needs several more years and millions of dollars in funding before its widespread use."
Content from External Source
This could unfortunately leave the door open to those who would highlight the "WIDESPREAD USE" in bold caps with a knowing wink and a nudge. Especially seeing as how the video shows satellite views of the white puffy tracks of clouds that are produced every day by cargo vessels, mention that these clouds can last up to a week, and don't do enough to clarify for the CT listener that these ships are normal cargo ships, and NOT these proposed specially designed barges specifically for this purpose... In the future... As a last resort.

Sloppy reporting can sometimes make keeping things bunk-free going forward a lot harder. Better to get a jump on things before they start going off the rails!

Last edited:
Back