CBD, any health treatment beyond epileptic seizures ?

Dr Oz promoting CBD...... https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/dr-oz-allegedly-selling-cbd/
"Today’s teaser says,....
“Finally found the answer to my pain and stress!” When you click on the “Learn more” tab, you get a page with a picture of Dr. Oz and the headline “Dr. Oz Announces His Specially Formulated, Potent CBD Product Is Available on Trial for Less Than $5”. It says Dr. Oz considers it “absolutely imperative that anyone out there suffering from pain or anxiety needs to incorporate CBD into their daily routine”."
That alone, is hilarious and scary.

Last edited:
CBD is being promoted by the USA veteran sites........ (VA) https://va.org/can-cbd-oil-help-with-anxiety-ptsd-in-veterans/

"The VA published in 2016 that 66,000 veterans received treatment for opioid addiction. Cannabidiol (CBD) alleviates pain, diminishes inflammation, enhances mood, and is an effective remedy for a variety of other ailments, both physical and mental.
CBD can probably be an alternative for opioids for military veterans with PTSD and related depressive symptoms. CBD has already shown positive results for these symptoms. "

Like really ?

Last edited:
Listen... if I were to be convinced that CBD was a healthful alternative....of-course I would support it.
.....but I'm not yet convinced.
"
https://va.org/can-cbd-oil-help-with-anxiety-ptsd-in-veterans/

Final Word
There are several clinical trials and tons of anecdotal evidence on the effectiveness of CBD for helping with many of the difficulties our veterans are currently facing. From helping to relieve symptoms of PTSD, anxiety, chronic pain and more, CBD is becoming a popular choice for many veterans."

Last edited:
But I am not yet convinced that CBD trials are not administrating healthfully doses of reproving the latest results.

Last edited:
My anecdotal experiences with CBD are that if I take enough of a high strength oil I certainly feel some sort of relaxation or at least an actually altered mental state some what. However long term effects are hard to gauge given the cost and variable supply.

Again anecdotal, I was recommended CBD to help with sleep problems, and all I got was tachycardia, even at low doses, somewhat heightened anxiety, and even a touch of nausea at higher doses. Completely counter-productive.

It helps my lower back pain. I was sure it wouldn't work but the first dose was impressive. I could feel the pain dissolve. It doesn't work that well now and I finally decided to increase the strength. I checked BBB for a reputable company after finding out my "free" bottle was something of a scam. The price is okay and they're spot on with the deliveries.

Even though it's not 100% it's better than resorting to cortisone shots, IMO.

It's unfortunate that even my logical friends claim certain benefits from CBD... yet without any meta-tests/study confirmations..
The suggestion is hard ................that it works "how you want it to work".
In fact, the harder you want a placebo to work..... the more effect it has.

With placebos that "do work" for some people, I feel a moral dilemma......

Let's say that within their bubble or 'everyday framework'...... the placebo is working for them, in a personal and effective way.
I find it difficult to convince them that they are wrong or mistaken........simply to satisfy or justify my "rightness".
It's this part of "debunking" I like the least....... and it could be construed as selfish.

If there are psychosomatic reasons that make it work, then it works. It may not work through any designed and tested mechanism, but that shouldn't matter. Placebos work, they aren't bunk that needs debunking, your friends aren't technically "wrong" unless they're making quite specific claims about the mechanism by which they work. Are they familiar with the placebo and, possibly more importantly, nocebo effect?

With placebos that "do work" for some people, I feel a moral dilemma......
Placebos work, they aren't bunk that needs debunking

I have a bit of apprehension here as well and part of me wants to say that CBD is a legitimate painkiller even if it is only working via placebo, but if we start calling everything that makes people feel better 'proper medicine' then you have to accept that crystals, voodoo and snake oil can be 'real' health treatments too. Again I don't really know if I have a problem with that but it can be a slippery slope:

1625602131693.png1625602204551.png

At the end of the day I think medical research has a fairly good understanding of how to treat pain (doctors have everything from paracetamol to morphine to work with) and if there is no good evidence to support something like CBD then a clear line should be drawn between what is recognised as effective pain medicine and what individuals like to do to manage their pain.

I was desperate enough to try anything, so I received my MM card when I lived in upstate NY. Short version: even after many attempts of changing the ratio of CBD to THC, my heart didn't like it. Increased palpitations, lowered my BP to where I was fainting, and increased my anxiety. Didn't notice much difference in pain levels.

Back