Can someone debunk this? Sandy Hook Shooting 100% Fraud Proof in 2 mins. - Photo Time Analysis

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I did time stamping of Sandy Hook photos in this thread:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-sandy-hook-media-staging-photos.1173/

there is my KMZ file with this analysis in #58

It looks like the author of the OP video incorrectly determined the shadow direction. I got a much later time of about 11 AM for the same arrangement of cars and shadows around the fire house in Photo #1.

EDIT(2): He cheated a bit while using SunCalc tool. He used the shadow of the wall corner, the footprint of which does not align with the roof corner but lays inside it. The edge of the wall corner shadow goes along the green arrow (that points toward the Sun):
Screen shot 2014-10-12 at 16.57.04.png

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
Can someone debunk this claim that it is only 9:10 AM according to shadow analysis?
if its an aerial view it is 11:00 at least. the channel 12 helicopter didn't arrive until about 11:10.

This man (video below) uses the dashcam video to show/match the time of the first helicopter arrival. The original debunk (full) is in a video he made called "deadliest minute" but I haven't watched that one.

Although I cant tell where your video got that 'shadow angle' from because none of the other shadows there go at those angles. ??

Also you can show when the triage station was set up at the firehouse and when ambulances arrived, through the police reports.

starts @1:09 (but look for his original video ; )

Last edited:

WilliamSeger

The main problem with this "analysis" is that the guy aligned with the corner of the roof, neglecting both the perspective (note that we can see the southwest wall), and the roof overhang. Any attempt at a better alignment with where the corner would be at ground level shows that the time is definitely after 10 AM. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I'm trying to understand your analysis, but can't parse the above sentence.

Sorry about this, I have rephrased the sentence. What I wanted to say is that in the OP video the direction of shadow is determined at the corner of the building. This corner is made by the walls. Due to the roof edges overhanging the walls, the position of this corner is not visible in the aerial photograph but it can be inferred. Alternatively, one can use the visible position of the grey step near the corner (green arrow), as the line going along the edge of the shadow (orange arrow) passes close to it:
Screen shot 2014-10-12 at 18.42.30.png

This gives the time of the video after 11 AM (16:00 UTC - 5)
Screen shot 2014-10-12 at 18.35.31.png

Last edited:

Jason

Can't the Firetruck also be used to determine the time of day. If we were to figure out the height of the firetruck would it make things simpler.

upload_2014-10-12_15-31-16.png

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
The main problem with this "analysis" is that the guy aligned with the corner of the roof, neglecting both the perspective (note that we can see the southwest wall), and the roof overhang. Any attempt at a better alignment with where the corner would be at ground level shows that the time is definitely after 10 AM. [...]
There must be something wrong in your SunCalc input. The day time (>11h between sunrise and sunset) is too long for 14 December at this latitude and the solar noon at ~10:40 is too early for this time zone.

WilliamSeger

There must be something wrong in your SunCalc input. The day time (>11h between sunrise and sunset) is too long for 14 December at this latitude and the solar noon at ~10:40 is too early for this time zone.

Yeah, you're right. I played with it some more and it seems you can't enter a date -- you have to actually step through the calendar month by month -- and also it seems to be perhaps showing my local (Mountain) time on the time bar instead of the Eastern time at the location. But here's the output from the Naval Observatory calculator between 9 AM and noon:

Astronomical Applications Dept.
U.S. Naval Observatory
Washington, DC 20392-5420

NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT
o , o ,
W 73 19, N41 25

Altitude and Azimuth of the Sun
Dec 14, 2012
Eastern Standard Time

Altitude Azimuth
(E of N)

h m o o
09:00 14.6 140.5
09:10 15.7 142.6
09:20 16.8 144.7
09:30 17.9 146.8
09:40 18.9 149.0
09:50 19.8 151.2
10:00 20.7 153.5
10:10 21.5 155.8
10:20 22.2 158.1
10:30 22.9 160.5
10:40 23.5 162.9
10:50 24.0 165.4
11:00 24.4 167.8
11:10 24.8 170.3
11:20 25.0 172.9
11:30 25.2 175.4
11:40 25.3 177.9
11:50 25.4 180.5
12:00 25.3 183.0

I'd say that the shadow is at least 170 degrees azimuth (11:10 AM), and probably closer to 175 (11:30 AM).

(Edit: It looks like the time in the OP video is not Eastern, either: It's also showing 10:40 for solar noon, when it should be a little before 11:50, by the Naval Observatory calc.)

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
It looks like the time in the OP video is not Eastern, either: It's also showing 10:40 for solar noon, when it should be a little before 11:50, by the Naval Observatory calc.

Yes, this is a very good point. The time in the OP video is for a wrong time zone. If it were EST, even this flawed calculation would give time after 10 AM, that is, after the shooting.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I just went to Yahoo to see if there was any response to comments I posted yesterday, and now it says, "This video is private."

I remember that in the comments somebody asked for and got the permission to copy this video but I cannot find now who it was. Is there a way to recover a cache with comments?

Also, the burying this mistake has already left some FB users puzzled:
https://www.facebook.com/HoaxAtSandyHook
https://www.facebook.com/ExposingTheBigThree

Last edited:

WilliamSeger

I remember that in the comments somebody asked for and got the permission to copy this video but I cannot find now who it was.

Your second Facebook page had links to both the original and a copy. I posted similar comments on that copy, and within an hour, that copy had also been removed

Gouchybear

Please understand I am NOT trying to stir anything up, but rather trying to understand the use of SunCalc and why you (or someone else) chose to use the sun angles from the building when the sun angle can clearly be seen in reference to the light poles long the left edge of the photograph?
Also, I'm confused by the shadows cast by the trees; specifically the shadows from the trees on the left side of the photo are cast to the right (the same as the the shadows from the light poles) while the trees on the right side of the photo cast shadows to the left, but the building casts no shadows at all, in any direction (except for the thin shadow cast backward on the roof from roughly the 5:00 o'clock to 11:00 o'clock position).
Again, NOT trying to cause any trouble, but can someone help me understand how is it possible for shadows to be cast in so many different directions from the same light source (the sun) at the same time?
Thank you for your patience in explaining this to me...
Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I'm confused by the shadows cast by the trees; specifically the shadows from the trees on the left side of the photo are cast to the right (the same as the the shadows from the light poles) while the trees on the right side of the photo cast shadows to the left, but the building casts no shadows at all, in any direction (except for the thin shadow cast backward on the roof from roughly the 5:00 o'clock to 11:00 o'clock position).

The photo you are looking at is a Google Earth image from 9/20/2013. If you zoom out on that image it becomes a bit clearer.

The base image is not taken from directly overhead, so the pole shadows are a little confusing. What you interpreted as a shadow is actually the pole itself. It's sometimes useful ( understanding Google Earth images) to rotate the image to match the view direction. To do this, rotate until the corner edges of the building are vertical on screen (which also makes the poles vertical).

EDIT: The above might still be confusing, as it's indicating the direction of the sun when viewed from overhead. It matches the direction of shadows on flat ground left by vertically aligned objects, but is not the full 3D direction of the sun. It is, however the direction you need for SunCalc.

Trees are a poor choice for calculating shadows because the part of the tree that is at the top of the shadow is rarely directly above the base of the tree, and the base of the tree is often obscured, and many type of tree do not have vertical trunks.

Utility poles are better, but they can lean a bit, and corners of buildings are generally perfectly vertical, however it's only accurate on flat ground, and you've got to be careful to make sure you are not using a sloping roof.

Notice here how the pole shadows vary, partly due to the slope of the ground.

But also due to the fact the poles, unlike building corners, are frequently not perfectly vertical.

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Please understand I am NOT trying to stir anything up, but rather trying to understand the use of SunCalc and why you (or someone else) chose to use the sun angles from the building when the sun angle can clearly be seen in reference to the light poles long the left edge of the photograph?

This is not the photograph, the shadows in which had been analysed here, but a default Google Earth/Google Map image used by SunCalc. The shadow directions were taken from the youtube video in OP, which is no longer available. As far as I remember, there were no shadows from the light poles, just from the corner of the building and a few cars, like in one remaining screenshot in my post #7

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
There are pole shadows in the wider shot, although they are largely obscured. All the shadows are consistent here. But as I noted above, using a building corner is going to give you the best vertical.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
TemplarJLS Can someone debunk this George Washington quote? Quotes Debunked 6
Z please someone debunk this crap Contrails and Chemtrails 15
newportrojan Can someone debunk Vigilant Citizen? Conspiracy Theories 344
newportrojan Can someone please debunk the 'Masonic Hidden Hand' Sign Conspiracy Theories 19
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
D Can someone please explain this video of multiple trails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 28
Mick West How to Tag someone in a post to let them know they were mentioned How To 3
Boston How to put someone on ignore, so you can't see their posts. How To 3
H Need someone savvy on the holocaust Conspiracy Theories 36
Mick West Debunked: "you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions." Quotes Debunked 2
N Debunked: Google Mail icon shows linkage to Freemasons Conspiracy Theories 4
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Tom Binney Does my FE Debunk in this case make sense to you guys? Practical Debunking 23
derwoodii My eyes deceived me so I had to debunk myself Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 29
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
Mick West Fireproof Cabbage, Burning Snow, Flat Earth - Are Some Things too Silly to Debunk? Practical Debunking 7
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
TWCobra Flat earth Debunk-change in apparent altitude of clouds as seen from airliner Flat Earth 2
Mick West An Easy Experiment to Debunk the Flat Earth by Observing the Size of the Sun Flat Earth 55
passionfly1 Lets finally debunk Nico and Marco Kaschuba (video hoaxers) People Debunked 0
Svartbjørn The Solar System.. To Scale (just for fun, nothing to debunk here) General Discussion 0
Mick West What to do about the Flat Earthers? Debunk, or ignore? Flat Earth 238
Critical Thinker Why we debunk and who do we reach. Practical Debunking 2
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
TemplarJLS Some depopulation quotes to debunk? Quotes Debunked 16
Henk001 High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Stevan Gvozdenovic Let's debunk my (very simple) perpetuum mobile Science and Pseudoscience 57
M Debunk: The horizon never falling as proof of flat Earth theory Flat Earth 29
WeedWhacker Let's imagine the actual area of the sky, above.... Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Dan Wilson PopSci article claiming to debunk ten GMO myths Health and Quackery 10
Vindog Debunk this [Planes at different altitude and different contrails over France] Contrails and Chemtrails 43
Critical Thinker Gawker article: Why I Write About (and Debunk) the Chemtrail Conspiracy Theory Contrails and Chemtrails 0
W Debunk NASA is proposing spraying stratospheric aerosols. Contrails and Chemtrails 9
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Jeffrey Orling Is there anything about 9/11 left to debunk 9/11 46
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
George B Debunk: Kinder gentler Debunking is better. . . ?? Practical Debunking 38
Noblelox Practical bunk used to debunk Boston Marathon Bombings 18
Alchemist Please Debunk: The Drills (conflicting info from 2 reputable sources) Boston Marathon Bombings 13
Alchemist Debunk This New JFK Information Conspiracy Theories 101
David Fraser Should we debunk "hoax" tragedies with "crisis actors"? Practical Debunking 21
DebunkingShills Orbs: Something the metaJUNK shills just can't debunk. Contrails and Chemtrails 24
Joe Newman There will be widescale rioting after Zimmerman verdict. Debunk, please Conspiracy Theories 256
Mick West Using Campaign Finance Reform to Debunk Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 25
Related Articles

Related Articles