Blue Splotches around Nexrad Stations [Birds]

JRBids

Senior Member.
What are these blue splotches? I did do a search, can't find.

upload_2016-5-11_22-13-50.png

[Mod Edit] It's migrating birds, see discussion below

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like it's an unprocessed dataset showing artifacts near each stations from bugs, birds, and bats.

http://www.animalmigration.org/aeroecology/index.htm

20160511-220154-kb4w6.jpg

WSR-88DCONUSCoverage1000.jpg

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.

Chew

Senior Member.
Before radar they used the moon to estimate the populations of birds that migrated at night:

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/moon.htm

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.fort.usgs.gov/radar

Some keywords for searches: Aerofauna, Bioscatter, biological scatterers.
https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/item/56c6431ce4b0946c6523193c

JRBids

Senior Member.
Thanks. Doh! I should have known that. Sorry Mick I saw you'd asked where I got it from, had a bit of food poisoning and haven't been online the last couple of days. ;(

CeruleanBlu

Senior Member.
Another example of this tonight:

National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg, SC reports the following:

Source: https://twitter.com/NWSGSP/status/851984022972624897

chemfiend

those blooms happen at night, every night,unless it is workin a storm,not birds or bats cause it happens at night in the winter too!

chemfiend

only geese and cranes migrate at night and it isnt in a circular blob, the bloom starts at the radome and goes outward in a circle

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
The lowest elevation on a WSR-88D is 0.5 deg. It starts at the radar and works outward because the beam is lowest to the ground nearest the radar. You're not seeing the returns spread outward, you're seeing them spread upward.

scombrid

Senior Member.
This is a really cool year-long timelapse of radar and infrared satellite imagery. You can see the pattern of nocturnal radar "blooms" in the spring and fall in relation to weather systems. If you skip to the 8 minute mark and watch from 8:00 to 9:00 you can really see the fall migration pouring down to the southeast and gulf coasts. The birds come down behind the cold fronts and then really pool up along the coast then the fronts stall out over Florida. We get to see a lot of cool birds here for a couple of days until the next bigger front clears the state and the birds decide to make the trans-gulf flight to South America.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13pthfl0bM&t=15s

Last edited:

scombrid

Senior Member.
Someone asked in the comments about the "stationary blobs" that formed almost every day from April to June. I paste my reply here:

chemfiend

so these radar blooms the blossomed around nine pm like every night , and that are still blooming at 2am, are migrating birds and bats? highly unlikely considering nothing is migrating and there isnt swarms of bats all night long.

Trailblazer

Staff member
so these radar blooms the blossomed around nine pm like every night , and that are still blooming at 2am, are migrating birds and bats? highly unlikely considering nothing is migrating and there isnt swarms of bats all night long.
Read the above posts. Yes, millions of birds migrate at night each spring and autumn.

only geese and cranes migrate at night
No, again read the links above. Many, in fact most, species of land birds migrate at night.

http://www.pressherald.com/2011/10/02/watching-and-listening-as-birds-migrate-at-night_2011-10-02/

That same article states that as many as 5 billion birds migrate in North America each fall (autumn), so presumably a similar number migrate in the other direction each spring.

Last edited:

scombrid

Senior Member.
I'll reiterate:

Type bird migration radar into Google Scholar to learn more than you may care to know about tracking bird migration with radar.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=bird+migration+radar&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=Ua4vVYWYMPSHsQSgn4GoDQ&ved=0CDIQgQMwAA

Some of the articles go back quite a few decades. As soon as radars were deployed to detect other stuff in the air there were biologists that had the idea that radars could provide a glimpse into the unseen world of nocturnal bird migrations.

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
ionization of the atmosphere for geoengineering maybe, migrating birds it is not!
State your source.

State your source.

only geese and cranes migrate at night and it isnt in a circular blob, the bloom starts at the radome and goes outward in a circle
State your source.

Trailblazer

Staff member
ionization of the atmosphere for geoengineering maybe, migrating birds it is not!
These radars show what is happening at relatively low altitude, where rain is falling (and birds are flying). If the atmosphere was being "ionised" then it would be conductive, and you'd see obviously effects such as overhead power lines arcing to ground. Have you got any evidence for this? And are you suggesting that the numerous scientists who track migrating birds by radar are mistaken?

scombrid

Senior Member.
Weather radar just an antenna scanning the sky for reflections of its own broadcast radio waves and then a computer displaying graphical representations of the returned signal.

If there is "ionization" in the atmosphere you won't see it on a weather surveillance radar. The weather radar is showing you things that are big enough and solid enough to reflect the radio waves back. Doppler shift of the signal tells you the velocity of the target relative to the radar station. Intensity of the signal is used to estimate the number of targets after other mathematical gyrations estimate the average size of the targets.

But the simple fact is that the weather radar only "sees" objects that are reflective of the wavelength that it broadcasts in the first place.

chemfiend

so the return to the radar if it were geese would show extreme hail, bats would be golf ball sized hail, so from the radome in valley nebraska west there are no bugs birds or bats, but east of that there is so many that i personally standing near the radome cannot see or hear them?

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
so the return to the radar if it were geese would show extreme hail, bats would be golf ball sized hail...
Size is not the only factor in determining radar returns, as the B-2 Spirit shows.

Hail in particular produces a very strong return, due to the fact its liquid coating makes it look to the radar like a very large raindrop. Return increases proportional to droplet diameter to the fourth power, so hail shows as very high dBzs (typically >60dBz).

Birds and bats do not have a large reflective surface orthogonal to the radar beam, and thus produce much less intense returns.

so from the radome in valley nebraska west there are no bugs birds or bats, but east of that there is so many that i personally standing near the radome cannot see or hear them?
I'm not sure how to parse this - perhaps you could clarify?

scombrid

Senior Member.
Add to that, how close together the targets are to one another affects the intensity of the return. Birds migrating at night are really spread out compared to rain drops or hail stones.

Tree swallows sometimes aggregate in the millions in the willows in the swamp just west of the radar here in Melbourne, Florida. They make diurnal (daily) foraging trips while staying in the area. They fly up and out from their roost early in the morning. There will be a very bright return at the roost as the all lift off and then the return spreads out and dissipates as they disperse. Look up "Purple Martin Roost Ring" radar images for an example. When they return in the evening they are generally flying under the radar and aren't detected. But, the colony in Melbourne is so close to the radar that when they mass up in the evening over the roost the radar picks them up and it produces a bright red spot for a couple of frames.

You can see a nightly version of the same thing from Mexican Free Tailed bats in central Texas during certain times of year.

scombrid

Senior Member.
but east of that there is so many that i personally standing near the radome cannot see or hear them?
They are high and far away and it is night. That is why ornithologists have locked onto weather surveillance radar part of their toolkit for tracking nocturnal migration.

I live in Central Florida. I had an American Redstart flitting around my back garden among the butterflies for a few days while there was a cold front to our north blocking migration for a couple of days. Redstarts like most neotropical migrants breed up north on the continent somewhere and winter in the tropics. We only get to see them in Central Florida on stopovers. Well, the high pressure shifted offshore and the southerly flow on the back side opened the door for another round of northerly flying. My little playful friend moved on to his breeding territory some place many miles north.

The Jacksonville radar lit up last night with almost the entire scan showing targets moving in a northerly direction. I've got an animated gif but I can't get it to load.

Last edited:

scombrid

Senior Member.
While not the "blue splotch" nocturnal signature of spring and fall mass migration, here is a study of Tree Swallows as I described in the previous post.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Satellite ADS-B Data in FlightAware24 - Blue Planes Prove Globe Earth Flat Earth 1
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 28
Radapox Peru gas station object (blue "walking" blob) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Rory Debunked: View of Blue Ridge Mountains impossible on spherical earth Flat Earth 95
Mick West Debunked: 'UFO Trailing Blue Smoke' over airport [Atlas V Rocket Launch] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Whitebeard Bright 'St. Patrick's Day' meteor over UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
386 Small Green Anomaly with Blue Trail (Night Sky Photography) [Lens Flare/Reflection] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Mick West Red and Blue Side-by-Side Contrails, Midlands, UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 35
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Trailspotter Persistent Blue Spiral in the Gulf of Oman General Discussion 8
Trailspotter The Blue Marble "super-contrail" Contrails and Chemtrails 15
Balance Blue skies memory problem General Discussion 22
Robert Tankersley Debunked: Video of UFO behind a cloud, dropping flashing blue lights [Viral Marketing Hoax] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 43
Mick West Debunked: Strange Blue Spheres Fall Over England 2012 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 42
deirdre Debunked: Alex Jones claims kids '[walking around firehouse] with hands up' in Megan Kelly interview Sandy Hook 1
Mick West Explained: Why a Phone Spirit Level Works Around the World [Accelerometers are Scales] Flat Earth 7
derwoodii Claim The seabed around Kaikoura, New Zealand has risen by up to 1.8 m earthquake General Discussion 20
Rory Black square around Earth proves NASA fake footage Flat Earth 3
MikeC The art of "turning around" an airliner Contrails and Chemtrails 6
P Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so still trying to find my way around. I wanted to comment regarding Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Why People are 'Suddenly' Seeing Strange Beams of Light Around the World - The Reddit Effect General Discussion 23
Gundersen Debunked: Chemtrails and Hopi prophecy: Cobweb built around the earth Quotes Debunked 11
Marine0811 Do contrails form around low level clouds? [Generally not] Contrails and Chemtrails 124
M Claim: MH370 "thrown around like fighter jet in a bid to avoid radar source"? [Dubious] Flight MH370 11
Clock "They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Quotes Debunked 96
AluminumTheory Anonymous: False Flag 9/11 Style Attack in LA in May Be Imminent (on or around November 15th) Conspiracy Theories 16
Oxymoron How much of the Smoke Around WTC7 actually from WTC7? 9/11 20
Oxymoron Is there a conspiracy around chemical weapons attacks in Syria Conspiracy Theories 272
csotgr Chemtrails around the world Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Explained: JFK: "We are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy" Quotes Debunked 260
Related Articles

Related Articles