Beams of Light

Steve Funk

Senior Member.
From JS 1.jpg

A friend who believes in chemtrails sent me this photo for an explanation. I would guess that it is either crepuscular rays, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays ,or an artifact of imperfections in the camera. http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...e-these-rays-that-appear-in-photograph-of-sun . Does anyone want to add anything or correct this? This picture was taken facing south, probably around 11 am, in northeastern Colorado. There are also some normal contrails, a low cloud (altostratus?) and a short length of what could be a spread out contrail.

WeedWhacker

What I see are some distortions IN the lens of the camera, due the proximity of the Sun, upper left-frame.

"AS TO" the actual "clouds" in the image....well....might have been generated "first" as contrails, then "persisted" (and ("evolved")....because ALL clouds "change" with time). Just slowly, and not in "Human" time-frames....in our reference of how time passes.

BEST seen in time-lapse sorts of videos....ONE example (of many!):

deirdre

Senior Member.
: ( hate to be a doubting thomas. but why are some rays not straight? esp in the upper right. there are two bent but the others nearby arent.
and some converge into each other.

when i draw wrinkles for SL clothes my pulls look like that.

Whitebeard

Senior Member.
Look like crepuscular rays to me, Denis Hopper and Peter Fonda used them, and other lens flare effects to great effect in the movie Easy Rider. Made in 1969,

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
From JS 1.jpg

A friend who believes in chemtrails sent me this photo for an explanation. I would guess that it is either crepuscular rays, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays ,or an artifact of imperfections in the camera. http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...e-these-rays-that-appear-in-photograph-of-sun . Does anyone want to add anything or correct this? This picture was taken facing south, probably around 11 am, in northeastern Colorado. There are also some normal contrails, a low cloud (altostratus?) and a short length of what could be a spread out contrail.

It's not crepuscular rays, those are visible to the naked eye. This is from the camera. It's basically a dirty lens. I just made this video by pointing the camera at a flashlight, and smudging the lens.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Here I've duplicated the effect with an iPhone camera, and the same flashlight as was used in the video:

Now if the optics of the camera were perfect, you'd not see any rays, just a slight glow around the flashlight from the atmospheric scattering.

The rays come for the light bouncing around in the optics, as the Stackexchange article says. But there are a few different ways. In the video you see a six pointed pattern, because the aperture of my camera is a hexagon.

But in the iPhone photo, and the photo in the OP, there's no clear shape, just lots of streaks of light. This is because the iPhone has a fixed shape aperture, a circle. But it's a very small one, so very minor imperfections and specks on the surface essentially change the shape, and you get these rays.

You can also get a "windshield wiper" ray if you smear the lens in a particular direction. Here I wiped my finger down the lens. This creates vertical streaks that seem to be showing up as "ripples" in the rays, but more noticeable it creates a single very bright horizontal ray, basically caused by the light reflecting off the vertical ridges in the smear at right angles.

And for the same reason lights in the windshield get streaked in the opposite direction to your windshield wipers:

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Why People are 'Suddenly' Seeing Strange Beams of Light Around the World - The Reddit Effect General Discussion 23
Mick West Purple UFOs/Beams in Arizona [Insects] UFOs and Aliens 0
Mick West Debunked: Thermite Slag on WTC beams [Oxy Cutting Slag] 9/11 2
Gary Cook 9/11 question about the support beams. General Discussion 19
jarlrmai Explained: Reddit UFO Los Angeles lights in the sky [Light on Pole] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
J Light Being at Children's Baseball Game Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 13
Mick West Explained: Mysterior Tower of Light in Shenyang, China General Discussion 3
Mick West Shape-Changing Light From Plane with Nikon P900 - Polarizing filter + Venus? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 61
P Light source from the mirror General Discussion 8
P Green Flashing light over Milton Keynes, UK UFOs and Aliens 5
RevenTexX Bright hovering, then moving, light in the sky of Mexico City Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Mick West Bright Light that "goes from the ocean to the clouds" [Plane] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Fukushima fast light (reflection?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Nandude Light Fall Off in Apollo Missions - American Moon Documentary Conspiracy Theories 16
ParanormalInSeattle Strange Light Caught On Camera Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs and Aliens 0
Mick West Unusual Light Track in Long Exposures, Grand Canyon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm [Water on Lens, Caustics] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West A streak of light in a star trails image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Qualiall What is this "weird orb"? [Likely Chinese Lantern] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 28
Mick West Debunked: "Deadly Ultraviolet UV-C and UV-B Penetration to Earth’s Surface:" [Stray Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 32
R Utah "Flat Eath" Frozen Lake Experiment Shows Light Visible over Longer Distance than Expected Flat Earth 8
Origo Unidentified Satellite/Star in Southern Sweden 2011? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32
Enricks How would "Bendy Light" even work on a Flat Earth? Flat Earth 13
Jared Some proof The Moon is not it's Own Light Source Flat Earth 2
P What is this streak of light caused by? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 34
Trailblazer Measuring the distance to the moon with laser reflections and the speed of light Flat Earth 5
deirdre Debunked: Jane Seymour advocates red lights for gun free homes (Satire site) General Discussion 6
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Jonathan Evans "The Real Venus" Shimmering circle of light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Whitebeard Bright 'St. Patrick's Day' meteor over UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Justatruthseeker Debunked: Telescope Distances of Billions of Light Years are impossible Science and Pseudoscience 84
Homeboundanywhere Strange Light at Cathedral in Edinburgh General Discussion 2
Mick West Will an SLR create rolling shutter artifacts, like a beam of light with lightning? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Debunked: Ghost Photo in Stony River Hotel, Okato, NZ [Light in Fridge] Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
Mick West Debunked: UFO over Loch Ness [Reflection in Dual Pane Window] UFOs and Aliens 66
Trailspotter Explained: Dark contrails behind bright planes Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Ogmion Does DNA emit light General Discussion 8
Pete Tar "UFO" On Erie Live TV Broadcast Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
rain boots what is this? ascending bright bluish light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Kenton Nightime Contrail? [Light Pillar] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 41
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Mick West Solved: Strange Beam of Light over Mayan Temple and Florida [Lightning + Rolling Shutter Artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 81
mrfintoil Debunked: The Great pyramid of Giza and the Speed of Light Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
somnamblst Posting this in light of the "EMT" claims regarding Jeff Bauman Boston Marathon Bombings 6
Brandon The Kopp-Etchells Effect (Helicopter Light Scintillation Halo) Contrails and Chemtrails 23
Mick West Debunked: Particulate crimes: Chemtrails [Mist Under Bright Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 70
Related Articles

Related Articles