1. JFDee

JFDee Senior Member

This is not directly about debunking, but it allows a glimpse into media behaviour and mechanisms:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/20/bbc-climate-change-science-coverage

2. Mick West

Mick West Administrator Staff Member

That is great news! The "false balance" thing has been a particular bugbear of mine:
    Exactly.
  3. JFDee

JFDee Senior Member

Now, the BBC can be said to be high on the scale of honesty and reputation. And yet I am not convinced that it was only "impartiality" which is named here as the issue. Controversy is just way more interesting than consensus, and documentary programs have to include overdramatized mysteries and big open questions nowadays. The fight for market share seems to dictate that style.

I see it pop up increasingly at the public broadcasting corporation where I'm employed, and I see it overflow at the commercial competition.

In short, I'm skeptical about the outlook for improvement in the long term.
  4. Mick West

Mick West Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I can't say I hold out much hope for the media in general. But this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Public broadcasting (i.e the BBC) is a lot bigger in the UK than in the US, so this is quite significant.
  5. Ross Marsden

Ross Marsden Senior Member

There seems to be a pervasive view that all opinions are equally valid. This was not always the case. Somebody or some movement has advanced it so that it is part of modern thinking.
    It is patently not true. Some opinions are just rubbish.