Any tips for identifying CGI in fake UFO videos?

derrick06

Here we go, Derrick is starting another thread! You see I have reasons behind these posts, primarily the fact that there are quite a few people on here who are well versed in specific fields that can give great insight into certain subjects that can help people to identify hoaxes easier! At least that is my intention :)

I actually stumbled across this video by complete accident...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/8599547/UFOs-spotted-over-London.html

It's a typical UFO's over the city clip, featuring people looking up and filming the phenomena, yet something seems fishy and unconvincing, the description of the user that posted it in the article also rang an alarm... "A separate video posted by the same user, alymc01, is believed to have been shot from inside the offices of a visual effects company called The Mill. The firm creates special effects for the film industry." Oh really? Two videos posted by the same dude and one was insight a special FX firm's building?

So here is my question, who has any tips on how to tell when there is CGI being used in a UFO clip? Can you find any examples in this clip? I feel like many people today forget that some kid in their basement with torented FX software can easily hoax a video these days and I'm hoping information can be gathered in this thread that can give other users (maybe new people too) information they need to be skeptical of these things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I think the lack of thousands of people posting videos of it on YouTube is a pretty good indication.

If it's just an light, then it can be quite hard to tell. One thing to to go through it frame by frame in HD and check to see if things overlap where they should not.

If there's an actual object, then looking at the surface of the object for unusual lighting is a good step.

However GCI is very good now, so it's often quite hard to tell if done very well. Example:

derrick06

Good input! I couldn't find a bunch of videos of it either so as you say that is a good example. (BTW did you add that screenshot in? THANKS!)

derrick06

http://thehoaxkiller.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Just took a good look Balance and I want to say thanks for showing me this sight I will add it to my quick list for references. Lots of cool info here!

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Election Fact Checking Resources and Tips Election 2020 7
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
G Talking with Global Warming Deniers - Some Tips Practical Debunking 0
AluminumTheory Aluminum Theory's Debunking Tips. Practical Debunking 1
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Astro Predicting and identifying all future SDO eclipses Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Trailblazer Identifying: faked image of Earth from space (artwork, not "official") Flat Earth 4
Lisa P Identifying a plane over San Francisco [B99988 - Gulfstream GL650] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 43
M Bornong A little help identifying a flight? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
JRBids Identifying chemtrail planes Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Gunguy45 Help identifying odd clouds General Discussion 18
Patrick Gonzalez Debunked: missing cable on Perseverance landing footage proves it is fake. General Discussion 3
Mick West Debunked: Biden in "Fake" Oval Office Election 2020 27
P Debunked: UN hidden camera: the first UFO contact happened [Deep Fake] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Trailblazer Reutlingen Fake UFO Video 2013 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
ECWXtreme Evolution of Perpetual Motion, WORKING Free Energy Generator fake? Science and Pseudoscience 6
Rory Fake quote? "World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen [...] by those who hold the purse strings" (attributed to Denis Healey) Quotes Debunked 12
TEEJ Fake Coronavirus Detector in Iran Coronavirus COVID-19 0
Getoffthisplanet [Fake] UFO's Casting Shadows On The Moon - "OVNI sur la Lune , 2020-03-26" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
H How to Fake a UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
deirdre Debunked: Exemption from military service doc proves Jews had foreknowledge of WW2 (fake leaflet) General Discussion 0
Rory Debunked: "You must love yourself before you love another" - fake Buddha quote Quotes Debunked 7
Mick West Blowing out Candles with a Single Punch General Discussion 47
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Mick West Russia Predicts US Will Use Fake Chemical Attack In Syria as Pretext for Missile Attacks Current Events 9
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Whitebeard UK cancer charity appoints 'fake news' nurse Health and Quackery 2
FlightMuj Debunked: Lack of fingernail bruise injury proves Apollo 17 fake Conspiracy Theories 23
Mick West NY Times: In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News Practical Debunking 60
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West Debunked: CIA Agent Confesses On Deathbed: ‘We Blew Up WTC7 On 9/11’ [HOAX] 9/11 12
Mick West Debunked: "Fake" live chat from the International Space Station (ISS) with Boise State Flat Earth 10
Mick West Debunked: Cargo Plane Carrying "Nukes" to Korea [French Air Display] General Discussion 5
Mick West Explained: Trump's Secret Service Agent's "Fake Hands" [Hands Ready Position] General Discussion 5
Critical Thinker Acknowledging and Confronting our own biases General Discussion 19
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
MikeG How Fake News Goes Viral General Discussion 122
Leifer Paid anti-Trump protesters ? it's a Hoax General Discussion 6
Mick West Debunked: Donald Trump Promises to Reopen 9/11 Probe [Fake News] 9/11 4
deirdre FBI Agent investigating Clinton email leak commited murder/suicide (Satire/Fake News Site) General Discussion 1
Related Articles

Related Articles