Altitude and contrail persistence

Trailblazer

Staff member
Looking out of my window around sunset this evening I noticed a succession of planes lining up from the west, all with short contrails except one which was leaving a lengthy persistent trail. I thought it would make quite a good illustration of how "adjacent" flights can be at very different altitudes, so I looked up the flights on FR24 and annotated the photo here:

trails copy.jpg

The only persistent trail is from the very high altitude private Gulfstream. The trails at 39,000ft and 41,000ft are slightly longer than the ones at 37,000ft, once you take into account the fact that they are much more distant.

That's not to say that higher flights will always have more persistent trails, of course. It depends on the atmospheric profile at the time,. Sometimes I've seen planes at 29,000 feet leaving persistent trails while those at 34,000 feet were hardly leaving any.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
Here are the FR24 screenshots.

IMG_5408.PNG IMG_5409.PNG IMG_5412.PNG IMG_5413.PNG IMG_5414.PNG

And confirmation of the Gulfstream registration from Planefinder.net, which tends to have more information for private aircraft than FR24 does.

n501.JPG

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
And here is a photo taken approximately 10 minutes after the one above, showing the trail persistence (it appears to have barely moved in 10 minutes, I think because the upper-level wind is almost parallel to the trail).

P1190036.jpg

Trailblazer

Staff member
Maybe you could find the sounding data from the closest weather station?
This is the data from Herstmonceux (about 60 miles southeast) for 00Z today, which is about 18 hours before the photo was taken.

86ab113be03f6221ccf5bc040c86d993.gif

FL450 is equivalent to 150 millibars. This sounding would suggest the highest humidity (in the region above 300mb) is at around the 190 millibar level.

Here is the text output:

upload_2015-9-30_21-26-59.png

Tonight's 00Z sounding may be more representative. I think radiosonde humidity readings are pretty suspect up at that altitude though.

skephu

Senior Member.
From Camborne and Nottingham, 12Z data are available. Camborne shows only 2% RH at 13666 m, but Nottingham shows 51 and 53% at that altitude and only 22-23% at around 11200 m.

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.
Tonight's 00Z sounding may be more representative. I think radiosonde humidity readings are pretty suspect up at that altitude though.

That's in the ball park region, if not the diamond, for the RH for contrail persistence.

That's easily a "success" in my book.

skephu

Senior Member.
That's in the ball park region, if not the diamond, for the RH for contrail persistence.

That's easily a "success" in my book.
But it's not the right altitude, we should look at 45,000 feet i.e. cca 13,600 m where the sounding only shows 17% RH.

skephu

Senior Member.
The Oct 1 00Z Herstmonceux sounding still only shows 17% RH at 13,700 m, no luck here.

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
Spotted something similar this morning

WP_20151002_07_29_27_Pro.jpg

An Air Canada 787 leaving a persistent trail at 39000ft

can.JPG

And a Thomson Airways 757 climbing through ~35000ft heading for 37000ft leaving a short trailtom.JPG

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
omaehamoushindeiru De-fisheye techniques for high altitude photography of earth show earth still curved Flat Earth 11
Mick West F-WWQF high altitude test flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Trailblazer Persistent contrails at 26,000ft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
TWCobra Flat earth Debunk-change in apparent altitude of clouds as seen from airliner Flat Earth 2
Mick West Which Plane is Higher? Optical Illusions in Assessing Relative Altitude Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
Mick West Converting mb (pressure) to altitude, and sites where this is useful Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Henk001 High altitude clouds don't have a cooling effect Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Marine0811 Do contrails form around low level clouds? [Generally not] Contrails and Chemtrails 124
Mick West Two planes at the "Same" Altitude, only one leaves a trail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Vindog Debunk this [Planes at different altitude and different contrails over France] Contrails and Chemtrails 43
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
HappyMonday CLAIM: "air at altitude doesn't deviate much statewide at any given time" Contrails and Chemtrails 3
PCWilliams High Altitude Airways (Get 'em now!) Contrails and Chemtrails 3
awake101 High altitude holding patterns and racetrack contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 10
M 'UFO' video just shows contrail formation? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Curt Collins UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 32
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
TEEJ Claimed "UFO" filmed from airliner over Turkey, 21st March 2018 [Passing Contrail at 90°] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail videos on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Zooming in on a Sunset Contrail "UFO" Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Where did the third trail go? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Explained: Exmouth UFO Flying Saucer - Sunlit Contrail and Motion Blur Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 70
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
steve holmes Why only one contrail today? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Related Articles

Related Articles