Aliens vs. Golf Carts - Denbigh UFO Analysis

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ81C0cULo

"Footage of spooky spinning UFO in Wales declared GENUINE by expert" says the Daily Star. They then show this shaky footage of some lights moving over some houses. They quote the expert, Jason Gleaves, talking about the footage. He did some analysis, including finding a photo taken from the same window as the sighting, which he overlaid it onto a single frame of the video.

Jason concluding various things including:
  • That it was something rotating, like the lights were rotating around a central disc.
  • That it was ABOVE the treeline, hence some kind of flying craft, a flying, rotating saucer type thing.

I thought I'd do a bit more analysis. The original video was very shaky so I took it into After Effects and ran an image stabilization using two lights as reference points. This immediately showed that it didn't really look like it was rotating, it was a bunch of lights traveling in one direction at fairly constant speed, with varying brightness and visibility. Then I wanted to align the daylight image a bit better, so I too fifty frames or so from the stabilized video, and did a photo stack using a median stack mode which removes the noise.

This can then be overlaid on the stabilized video bring out the detail.
[compare]
Metabunk 2019-03-08 21-35-19.jpg Metabunk 2019-03-08 21-35-49.jpg
[/compare]

Using this more detailed version I aligned the daylight photo more accurately We can now see that the lights are not in the sky, they are actually just on or under the ridgeline. So it seems more likely these lights on the ground, and the variations in brightness and visibility are them going behind obstructions like trees.

So what is up on that hill? I recreated the scene in Google Earth, marking some possible roads.

Metabunk 2019-03-08 21-37-26.jpg

There were two contenders - the blue road here leads up to an interesting air navigation thing but it's facing away from the camera. The red line here is more likely, it's a path on the golf course. If there were, say, a bunch of people in golf carts or bikes driving along that path, or nearby, then it would look like what you see here. Of course, it could also be aliens driving along the golf path. But what seems more likely?

Now I have NOT solved this case. I don't know what this is. It's still unidentified. I've just shown it's probably not rotating, and it's probably not in the sky. But I do know it's a mistake to draw any kind of definitive conclusion from poor quality data like a shaky video. It's also not a good idea to believe in experts, even me, just because they are saying what you really want to be true. Keep an open mind

There's a bit of a craze for night time mountain bike riding because of cheap powerful LED bike lights.

I'd had the same thought, as I'd be surprised if golf carts had lights of any significance, as I'd expect that anywhere golf is played at night, there'd be very strong lighting already.

Experienced nighttime bicycle riders will often have fixed cycle lights, as well as helmet lights, so when they turn their heads, they can see wherever their head is turned. It's the safe way for night riding.
It also could have been a family or group, out for a walk, with flashlights.

I'd had the same thought, as I'd be surprised if golf carts had lights of any significance, as I'd expect that anywhere golf is played at night, there'd be very strong lighting already.

Many do, because they see use in low light conditions regularly or as vehicles other than golf transportation, especially in maintenance tasks at golf courses.

For instance, the house I grew up in overlooked a club's driving range. They shut down the lighting at around 9 PM, but they were out there collecting balls for another hour or so in darkness, except for the cart's headlights.

Many do, because they see use in low light conditions regularly or as vehicles other than golf transportation, especially in maintenance tasks at golf courses.

For instance, the house I grew up in overlooked a club's driving range. They shut down the lighting at around 9 PM, but they were out there collecting balls for another hour or so in darkness, except for the cart's headlights.

I just did the obvious thing and searched for golf carts, and many do indeed have lights. Golf at night (or in low light) just didn't strike me as a thing that people did (never played it myself). But as you say, even if no-one was playing golf at that time, it could still be maintenance workers using them.

So what is up on that hill? I recreated the scene in Google Earth, marking some possible roads.

There were two contenders - the blue road here leads up to an interesting air navigation thing but it's facing away from the camera. The red line here is more likely, it's a path on the golf course. If there were, say, a bunch of people in golf carts or bikes driving along that path, or nearby, then it would look like what you see here. Of course, it could also be aliens driving along the golf path. But what seems more likely?

I just had a look at the Strava Global Heatmap, which visualises the tracks saved by people using the Strava exercise tracking app.

With "cycling" selected, you can see there seems to be a fairly popular mountain-biking circuit in those woods to the right of the screenshot above:

upload_2019-4-3_20-5-25.png

With "cycling" selected, you can see there seems to be a fairly popular mountain-biking circuit in those woods to the right of the screenshot above:

Interesting. Although that path (green, below) seems to be not in the right place and is also rather hilly which would give much more irregular light movement.
Metabunk 2019-04-03 12-25-59.jpg

It's marked on the OS map, as are a variety of paths and tracks.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/53.19521,-3.43563,17
Metabunk 2019-04-03 12-36-10.jpg

Still, quite possible some late-night cyclists decided to add in a loop or two around the golf course for fun.

The "air nav thing" is actually a covered reservoir. The white markings are where it was repaired.
Metabunk 2019-04-03 12-29-37.jpg

I'm going with aliens on bikes and golf carts, they have a proven history of ignoring our laws and regulations, plus they can use their laser eyes to see the golf balls in the dark.

Back