A Skeptical Call To Arms

JarJar

I would think Google would be the best bet for an answer to a question like that. I work in survey analysis and I know the sample sizes I like to see for different projects, but as for the equations to work out the percentages and what that actually represents...well, I'm not so sure on those - and also (like my antipathy towards "p-numbers") somewhat sceptical too. But 2,000 seems like a reasonable number for something like this.
Sorry, I was referring to this survey specifically.
There aren't any details about the application of the variables mentioned in the fine print.
No biggie.

deirdre

Senior Member.
If anyone else was interested:

Not that it matters, as i was talking about Pennsylvania... but since i was curious, i verified with Wayback Machine all but 3 states (that i am choosing to assume had "after election acceptance of mail-in ballots" before Covid) and the conclusion: 15 states had mail-in rules allowing ballots to be accepted if postmarked the day before (5 states) or up to the day of election (8-10 states).

Texas only allows, if postmarked the day before election, until 5pm the day after election. but all other states are ranging from 3-10 days after election.

i couldnt verify DC and North Dakota (and i didnt feel like looking up their statutes). Ohio i verified back to March 2020.

Other 12 are: Alaska, California, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, New York (the only one in the Northeast), N. Carolina, N.Dakota, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Washington and surprisingly West Virginia.

Last edited:

MikeG

Senior Member.
did your polling place team a republican volunteer with a democrat volunteer? I trust my state mostly because all the polling places (we see on the news anyway) team a repub and dem to work together and watch each other.

I think that is the simplest solution to lack of trust in elections.

How many right leaners did you have on your staff? How many left leaners? Did you have equal representation?

Do you personally feel that the excessive mail-in ballots (including those that arrived after election day) made this 2020 election unique, as far as trust in the system?

While i do think the vast vast majority of poll workers work in good faith, was there a way that you could have messed with votes if say you were one in a thousand that wasn't acting in good faith?
Good questions and apologies for the delay.

By law, polling places have minority party and majority party observes who are part of the precinct team. There are also provisions for registered observers to be present at the polling place as long as they do not interfere with voting.

We actually never talked about who belong to what party. I work in an area that is just about equally balanced, although the Republican Party has a slight edge. The New York Times had a great interactive map where you could look up party affiliation by zip code.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/upshot/2020-election-map.html

Mail-in voting was different in Pennsylvania than in other states. By law, they could not start counting until Election Day morning, so there was a delay for obvious reasons. https://ballotpedia.org/Processing,...bsentee/mail-in_ballots_in_Pennsylvania,_2020

I think COVID and a general interest in the election ramped up participation, to include mail ins. Turnout at my polling place was heavy. Probably 1,100 people voted in person, which was about 50%, not counting mail votes.

There are a lot of redundant checks against vote tampering. Every machine is certified by the county and sealed with cables and inspection tape. I record every cable and inspection tape removed with the precinct machine operator. This prevents a third party from interfering with machines as recently happened in Fulton County. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pe...-voting-machines-after-2020-audit-2021-07-21/

Other steps include: (1) voters actually write their own ballots on the first voting machine, (2) they then cast their vote in a collection machine that scans the ballot and keeps a hard copy of it. The electronic copy is stored on a stick drive. None of the machines connect with any wireless source. (3) At the end of the day, the machine prints out a complete tally of all votes. (4) We do a hand count of all unused ballots before the vote and after it. (5) This count has to match all ballots cast, spoiled ballots, etc. Hand sanitizer accounted for a few spoiled ballots. (6) We count up all provisional ballots. All of this work is done in the presence of all poll workers and everyone signs every audit document.

Foolproof? No, but I think it is a good system.

Related Articles