Senior Member.
This morning 1/29/14, I was watching the sky and saw this contrail,
DSCF0238.JPG
He made 3 passes,

DSCF0241.JPG
DSCF0245.JPG

Due to the haze I was not able to get a decent photo of the plane,
DSCF0240.JPG

It was fairly simple to identify the flight pattern on Flightradar24flightradar2.jpg

I was disappointed that there wasn't a call sign, and hoped I could identify the actual flight by where it landed. At about 17:15 UTC am, it passed between Huntington Beach and John Wayne Airport and continued over the ocean. I thought it might be heading towards San Diego and started checking arrivals. When I returned to Flightradar, the flight had simply vanished. I went back through the playback and saw that it went off the radar at approximately 17:26 UTC it disappears off the coast of Oceanside. Knowing it had to be a glitch, I checked back at John Wayne Airport and found,ocair.jpg
http://www.ocair.com/flightinformation/arrivals/

I didn't find any other corresponding arrivals at the other LA area airports.

Do you think it's a fairly safe assumption that I was most likely watching Alaska Airlines Flight AS 582? I haven't spent too much time playing with flightradar, yet.

(Note: The exe on my photos will be one hour off. I never adjusted my camera for the fall time change.)

M Bornong

Senior Member.
Here's the view from ground level in Bakersfield, just to the North of the holding pattern.

KMZ Attached, open it in Google Earth.
Thanks Mick. I'll keep practicing. I live about 4 miles SW of the intersection you show, that would put it in the exact perspective I was seeing. Do you find it easier to use Flight Aware, Flight Radar 24, or use both for double checking?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Mick. I'll keep practicing. I live about 4 miles SW of the intersection you show, that would put it in the exact perspective I was seeing. Do you find it easier to use Flight Aware, Flight Radar 24, or use both for double checking?
FR24 is best for looking at an area at a particular time. FA is best for looking up the details of individual flights. So I use both.

M Bornong

Senior Member.

Bruno D.

Senior Member.
Quick question from a layman:
- Why does a plane go on a path like that (3 circles) before going on to a far airport? I though that they did it only very close to airports in order to wait for their time to land.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Quick question from a layman:
- Why does a plane go on a path like that (3 circles) before going on to a far airport? I though that they did it only very close to airports in order to wait for their time to land.
Sometimes it's just because the ATC region can't take them for some reason. The landing sequence is scheduled well ahead of time, so they can re-order the planes quite a distance away (and it's not that long really in terms of time, 150 miles is just 20 minutes). See this video, which shows lots of holds hundreds of miles from the airport.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
N Little help to debunk clouds with color Practical Debunking 2
Mick West Explained: Head Of The Army Admits to "Little Green Men" [Covert Russian Agents] Conspiracy Theories 7
jaydeehess Why little to no analysis of steel from WTC7? 9/11 45
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 2
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
Mick West What You Can do to Help Promote Escaping the Rabbit Hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Statistics Help Needed - Understanding the practical meaning of r values Practical Debunking 6
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
D Can you help with a picture? [Ballast Barrels] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Husband of chemmy Help me! Wife is Chemtrailing... Contrails and Chemtrails 69
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
derwoodii any help to prove or disprove this quote or claim Quotes Debunked 22
M Need help debunking a picture [Four Jets in Formation, Leaving Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 12
R Help debunking Sandy Hook and Aroura crisis actors! Conspiracy Theories 8
K Please help me find sources on anthropogenic climate change scientific consensus General Discussion 5
Leifer Help needed finding demolition video. 9/11 28
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Leifer does Social Media + Ego help drive conspiracy theories ? General Discussion 63
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
J Help I'm talking to an idiot. Conspiracy Theories 8
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
Gunguy45 Help identifying odd clouds General Discussion 18
J Help with some information. Contrails and Chemtrails 2
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Astro Predicting and identifying all future SDO eclipses Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Trailblazer Identifying: faked image of Earth from space (artwork, not "official") Flat Earth 4
Lisa P Identifying a plane over San Francisco [B99988 - Gulfstream GL650] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
derrick06 Any tips for identifying CGI in fake UFO videos? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
JRBids Identifying chemtrail planes Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Related Articles

Related Articles