A Former AGW (Man-made global warming) Denier

Cantonear1968

I wanted to add my experience as a former AGW denier.

It was about 2007 and it was my first experience with YT videos and comments there in. I believe it was the big AGW-Denier video of the time (the name escapes me right now. The Great Deception or something). I don't want to dismiss my own responsibility for critical thought, but I think I was caught up in figuring there had to be some sort of integrity in a video for making such claims. Plus they had their list of experts and what seemed liked scientific data and I was hooked. I knew the talking points. Had a big conversation at a family gathering one time.

Eventually I was starting to admit a few holes in my own theories. I was probably moving toward a position of 'Yes, Global Warming is happening; but is it man-made?' It was when I stumbled upon 9/11 Conspiracy Theories that I really let AGW-Denying go. I realized how much I was making the same arguments for AGW-denying that Truthers make; appeal to authority, they're all in on it; I could go on. I was probably a truther for 5 minutes until I was able to google their claims. IIRC, it was JREF that came up and I could see how ridiculous their claims were. And ultimately how ridiculous my own were on AGW.

So there's no doubt in my mind now about AGW. And in the reverse I was certainly more critical and thorough in my research of claims made. Instead of accepting anything, truther or debunker, on its face value, I follow the links and see what the documents actually say.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It was when I stumbled upon 9/11 Conspiracy Theories that I really let AGW-Denying go. I realized how much I was making the same arguments for AGW-denying that Truthers make; appeal to authority, they're all in on it; I could go on. I was probably a truther for 5 minutes until I was able to google their claims.
Very interesting. I've seen this a few times, people believe in a low-level conspiracy theory, and over time ramp it up to more extreme conspiracy theories. At some point, they butt against something they can debunk, and it's often something that is overlapping their other beliefs in some way. This causes the whole conspiracy-oriented belief system to unravel, sometimes quite rapidly.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
JFDee Washington Post: Former QAnon believer's tale Escaping The Rabbit Hole 2
Mick West TFTRH #32 - The Skeptic of the North: Former Conspiracist, Current Skeptic Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mick West TFTRH 9: Joe - Former Chemtrail Conspiracist, Current New World Order Conspiracist Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 51
Mick West TFTRH #5 - Dan, the former Apocalyptic Prepper Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 4
M ISO of Former Engineers and Architects Signatories of the A&E for 9/11 Truth Statement Escaping The Rabbit Hole 0
Mick West Donte Stallworth - Former 9/11 Truther, now CNN contributer Escaping The Rabbit Hole 2
Mick West False Authority: "Thoughts From a Former NIST Employee" on 9/11 9/11 92
cmnit Former top NATO Italian General Fabio Mini Contrails and Chemtrails 16
Tobes Email from former Connecticut state worker claiming lottery/Sandy Hook connection Sandy Hook 22
jvnk08 Charlie Veitch, former prominent 9/11 truther Escaping The Rabbit Hole 5
Mick West Temecula: Former "Loose Change" forum mod posts on randi.org Escaping The Rabbit Hole 1
jvnk08 Kristen Meghan, former US Air Force whistle-blower? Contrails and Chemtrails 994
BlueCollarCritic Former CNN Reporter Expoes CNN Self-Censsorship And Coverup Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Former believers, and lessons learned Escaping The Rabbit Hole 164
Mick West Debunked: Scott Stevens, former TV weather man. People Debunked 36
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
Rory Fake quote? "World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen [...] by those who hold the purse strings" (attributed to Denis Healey) Quotes Debunked 12
omaehamoushindeiru Claim:Natural Covid-19 broke out of Wuhan lab (not man-made) Coronavirus COVID-19 54
Mick West Ghost Doll Reflection - Mistakes Were Made UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Dan Wilson Claim:HIV Protein Sequences in Covid-19 (report withdrawn by authors) & other "man made" claims Coronavirus COVID-19 31
Marin B Climate scientist on man-made clouds General Discussion 0
Mick West Mistakes I made on my Joe Rogan Experience Flat Earth Episode Flat Earth 17
MikeC Claim: New Zealand quakes man made...... Conspiracy Theories 4
Gundersen Eco-Cooler - world’s first zero-electricity air cooler made from plastic bottles Science and Pseudoscience 8
Trailblazer Debunked: HAARP has made two islands disappear HAARP 2
Bruce Lansberg Claim: Jeroen Akkermans: Framents prove MH17 was shot down by a Russian made BUK Flight MH17 34
Mick West Debunked: Nasa: Strange Markings Across The Globe 'Might Have Been Made By Aliens' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 26
Gary Cook Is Aspertame made from E. coli? General Discussion 9
Kgreen711 U.S. Currency Made to Depict 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 12
Edward Current Needs Debunking: That the GPS does not implement time corrections from Einstein's relativity Science and Pseudoscience 7
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West WTC7: Is AE911's (and NIST's) Focus on A2001 Justified if it Was Not "Key" in NIST's Global Model? 9/11 181
skephu Debunked: Decline in Global Relative Humidity [It's Increasing] Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Debunked: AnonSec's NASA Hack, Global Hawk Hijack, Evidence of Chemtrails [Public Domain Data] General Discussion 32
Van Wigington Debate Mentioned in this radio segment, Geoengineering Watch Global Alert News, January 30, 2016 Contrails and Chemtrails 16
Mick West Debunked: English Young Father Assaulted by Muslim Mob in Baildon, UK [White Youths] General Discussion 12
M Difference between the impact of Stratospheric Sulfate Aerosols and Contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Pete Tar Debunked: Most recent NASA study shows ice growth in Antartica Science and Pseudoscience 15
skephu Debunked: Massive US Senate Document On National And Global Weather Modification Contrails and Chemtrails 33
deirdre Climate Scientist says "Scientists should consider stretching the truth": Stephen Schneider Quotes Debunked 2
Auldy Claim: Satellites show global warming pause continues by CFACT Science and Pseudoscience 13
Gabriel Incertis Claim: MOREGELLON'S Is Patent US 6245531 And It Is Not A Disease Health and Quackery 6
Mick West Debunked: The Science Claims of Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Pete Tar "Global Warming: Can Earth EXPLODE ?" Science and Pseudoscience 21
KC-10FE Stanford Paper on Global Warming Contrails and Chemtrails 2
G Talking with Global Warming Deniers - Some Tips Practical Debunking 0
TWCobra Max Bliss performs seamless 180 U-Turn on global warming. Contrails and Chemtrails 13
CapnPegleg Debunked: 10 Signs The Global Elite Are Losing Control Conspiracy Theories 11
moderateGOP Debunking Global Research TV Conspiracy Theories 64
Christian Svensson Chemtrails Global Skywatch facebook discussion Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Related Articles

Related Articles