5G might interfere with aircraft altimeters

Mendel

Senior Member.
5G may turn out to be a health hazard for people in aircraft.

The RTCA (originally "Radio Technical Committee for Aeronautics") has issued a report at https://www.rtca.org/wp-content/upl...t-Report_274-20-PMC-2073_accepted_changes.pdf last year.
Article:
The task force was formed in April to address this issue. In December, the FCC plans to auction licenses in the 3.7– to 4.2-GHz frequency band.

By evaluating radar altimeter performance in light of the “expected 5G emissions in the 3.7– to 3.98-GHz band,” the task force was able to test radar altimeters to determine their tolerance to the expected 5G interference signals, according to the report. Other research included a risk assessment of how much this interference might happen and its impact on aviation safety.

According to the task force, “The results presented in this report reveal a major risk that 5G telecommunications systems in the 3.7– to 3.98-GHz band will cause harmful interference to radar altimeters on all types of civil aircraft—including commercial transport airplanes; business, regional, and general aviation airplanes; and both transport and general aviation helicopters.” The problem isn’t limited to the 5G band allocation of 3.7– to 3.98-GHz, however, but also “the spurious emissions from such systems within the protected 4.2– to 4.4-GHz radar altimeter band directly.”

The report further warned of “the possibility of catastrophic failures leading to multiple fatalities, in the absence of appropriate mitigations.”

Article:
“The results of the study performed clearly indicate that this risk is widespread and has the potential for broad impacts to aviation operations in the United States, including the possibility of catastrophic failures leading to multiple fatalities, in the absence of appropriate mitigations,” the RTCA stated in its report. Research for the report was conducted by the Aerospace Vehicle Systems Institute, a cooperative research organization based out of Texas A&M University.

Radar altimeters are critical during landings, once an aircraft moves below 2,500 feet from the ground. At that point, no other instruments provide an accurate measurement of a plane’s distance from the ground.

“It’s so important to have an accurate reading, because if it’s a bad reading it could lead to the airplane doing something you don’t want it to do.” explained Terry McVenes, the RTCA president and chief executive. McVenes is a former Boeing safety executive with 30 years’ experience in the commercial aviation industry.

“If your airplane thought it was 1,000 feet above the ground but was only 50 feet above the ground, well… you could have a problem,” he said.

[..]

The FCC and supporters of expanding 5G argue that the concerns are overblown.

“In the C-Band Order, the Commission concluded that our rules would protect radio altimeters used by aircraft, and we continue to have no reason to believe that 5G operations in the C-Band will cause harmful interference to radio altimeters,” Will Wiquist, a spokesman for the FCC, said in a statement. “Among other things, these altimeters operate with more than 200 megahertz of separation from the C-band spectrum to be auctioned, more protection than is afforded in some other countries.

“Moreover, the RTCA report was prepared outside of the joint aviation/wireless industry group that was set up at the Commission’s request and is not a consensus position of that group. Indeed, at least one other member of that multi-stakeholder group has expressed significant concerns with the study and several of its assumptions, and the Commission’s experts have concerns with this study as well.”

Mechanik

Just a couple of comments in the spirit of “I read this so you don’t have to”. This is in no way an attempt at debunk. The study says what it says.

Here is the link to the actual study in case you want to go through all 231 pages some time: https://www.rtca.org/wp-content/upl...t-Report_274-20-PMC-2073_accepted_changes.pdf

A few things jumped out at me as I tried to separate the study itself from the hype in the Defense News article. By hype I mean the potential catastrophe if radar altimeters become useless because of 5G. Start with the FCC position that interference isn’t going to occur. The study acknowledges this, but they make the assumption that the FCC is wrong, and state that explicitly (i.e. what if we assume that interference occurs). So they studied assumed interference rather than actual. I.e. if there is interference, this is what it could look like.

One of my other key takeaways is that they did not make any physical measurements of actual altimeter/5G interactions. The study is entirely based on modeling. It would be very interesting to see someone test an actual aircraft flying low over a 5G base station.

It was very interesting that they examined a scenario around Chicago O’Hare airport. They mapped the existing 4G LTE base stations to the aircraft glide paths to see how their model might affect the altimeters. According to the models and assumptions, it would. Again, they didn’t actually test this in the real world.

If you dive into the study, there are about 100 pages at the end that has comments and changes suggested by the reviewers. One interesting exchange was that the wireless representative pointed out that the model used for 5G base station radiation patterns was not accurate. The study then re-ran the models with the correct patterns.

There’s plenty to be read into this study, as it seems to be preliminary to a call to action to get the FCC to codify some constraints on the wireless industry to make sure they don’t accidentally accidentally screw up the aviation industry. A worthy cause and if nobody does anything, people could die, but I think the article went a bit overboard on whether that’s likely or not.

IF the FCC and the wireless industry are both wrong, AND the assumptions made in the study prove accurate, then altimeter manufacturers will need to design new radars and aerospace companies will need to install them.

Last edited:

Mendel

Senior Member.
One of my other key takeaways is that they did not make any physical measurements of actual altimeter/5G interactions. The study is entirely based on modeling.
That's slightly misleading.
Yes, they didn't fly an altimeter over a 5G setup cranked up to maximum.
But they did do physical measurements.

They figured out how much RF a 5G base station emits, both in the C Band as well as in the band that the radio altimeter is using (spurious emissions). They then set up an "altitude" in the lab via a fiber-optic line, with the ability to inject 5G emissions into it (both types of interference separately), and hooked 9 different commercial altimeters up to it and measured the effect of interference at 3 different altitudes.
Small units (as would normally be used in General Aviation aircraft and helicopters) did worst.

The modeling comes in when they figure out how much 5G signal would reach an aircraft in different scenarios in reality. RF signal propagation is well-researched, I'm fairly confident that these models are accurate.

They also model interference from smartphones ("user equipment") aboard aircraft based on other studies that I haven't looked into.

Last edited:

Ravi

They then set up an "altitude" in the lab via a fiber-optic line, with the ability to inject 5G emissions into it (both types of interference separately),

I have not read the whole thing, where you got this info from, but I am sure this is not correct. Unless I miss understand your text above, you cannot inject RF signals into a fibre optic cable. Perhaps you mean RF cabling (waveguide)?

Mendel

Senior Member.
p.34
Commercial products exist to transmit RF over an optical link; obviously they don't inject the RF into the fiber directly.

Example: https://www.opticalzonu.com/solutions/uhfandvhf/
I imagine it's easier having 7000 ft of fiber in the lab than 7000 ft of Coax cable.

Last edited:

Leifer

Senior Member.
...geez, my real hardware oscilloscope is only 10 gig.
Not true.....I checked...
  • Bandwidth: 70 MHz
  • Sample rate: up to 2.5 Gsample/s

Last edited:

JMartJr

The technical analysis of this is beyond my skill set, however 5g is pretty widely deployed, especially around major cities where major airports are located, which is also where planes operate close enough to the ground for any mistakes in measuring their altitude to be likely noticed in terms of them flying into things. The lack of reports of that sort of thing happening with increasing frequency is a Good Thing, of course, and probably has some value as evidence of whether 5g interference is actually a real-world problem.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Basically, I ( or anybody) could connect a wire to my (their) oscilloscope, and receive some sort of signal......in the bandwith desired, Wire length would be important.... as it acts as an antenna.

Mendel

Senior Member.
Basically, I ( or anybody) could connect a wire to my (their) oscilloscope, and receive some sort of signal......in the bandwith desired, Wire length would be important.... as it acts as an antenna.
But could you connect a wire to your altimetere unit and get it to malfunction?
The "long wire" aka the delay loop in their lab setup is fiber optics and doesn't pick up HF interference.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West TFTRH #29 - Geoff: Everything is a Hoax, The Earth Might Be Flat Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Mick West Email problems - you might not be getting any Site Feedback & News 7
Efftup I might be wrong on this......... for once. General Discussion 10
Mick West Butterfly UFO - Things it Might Be, Like an EDF Flying Wing UFOs and Aliens 17
J What might these three planes be? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West Debunked: Nasa: Strange Markings Across The Globe 'Might Have Been Made By Aliens' UFOs and Aliens 26
Mick West How to link to (Archive) a web page that might change or vanish How To 16
Soulfly Quebec 'runaway train' might have been tampered with. Conspiracy Theories 2
N How might some test chemtrails? Spectroscopy? Contrails and Chemtrails 15
LorentzHall Black Narrow Aircraft-Like Object (With Stubby Wings?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Vara La Fey Video of all FAA mandated aircraft lights? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Picard Aircraft impact Design for Twin Towers 9/11 11
Agent K Air Force E-11A Communications Aircraft Crashes And Burns In Afghanistan Current Events 7
Laser Curved Aircraft Window Distortion Flat Earth 11
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Aircraft Accident Package lists no. of Passengers/Fatalies as "Unknown" Conspiracy Theories 3
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
Trailspotter UFO with navigation lights, Drone or aircraft? [Low Flying FedEx 777] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
cmnit Ulrike Lohmann on aircraft exhausts chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 3
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Whitebeard EgyptAir flight MS804 Current Events 52
Spectrar Ghost Tip Vorticies - frequency by aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 5
MikeC New Zealand CAA puts up "Aircraft Trails" page Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West N8701Q Boeing 737-MAX 8 "Spirit of Renton" Testbed Aircraft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Veronica! Odd Aircraft Explained: Powered Parachute Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Steve Funk Claim, C130 aircraft are spraying mysterious filaments. Contrails and Chemtrails 5
MikeC Aircraft weight and balance in the real world Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Balance Met Office - Case Study Contrail-induced Cirrus Contrails and Chemtrails 0
TWCobra AA77-Pentagon explosion plume compared to known aircraft fires 9/11 0
Mick West Debunked: MH370: Daily Mail claims new sonar images indicate aircraft debris Flight MH370 3
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
TEEJ Belfast Observer Skywatch claiming that airliners do not appear on Flight Radar 24 - 10th March 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
TEEJ Gary Cameron Clydebank, Scotland Video, 1st May 2015- Claim of aircraft not being on Flight Radar 24 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ssfor27 Aircraft Caught "Spraying" over Key West Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Trailspotter A new way to stop the gridlock in the skies General Discussion 0
Efftup Disappearing Falcons near Bournemouth, UK [Limited MLAT Coverage] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 37
MikeC Convair 580 aerosol measurement probe array Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Asylumkid Deadly emissions? [1% contribution of aviation emissions to harmful air pollution] General Discussion 10
Rico Debunked: Dane Wigington's Undeniable Footage of Jet Aircraft Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 42
Efftup How far away can I see an aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 26
Charlesinsandiego Another triangular aircraft, this time in Kansas [B2 Bomber] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 25
TEEJ Mystery Aircraft over Texas 10th March 2014 - Steve Douglass Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 114
T Debunk: Chemtrails leave no space between aircraft and the beginning of the trail. Contrails and Chemtrails 7
TWCobra Max Bliss debunked-Aircraft engine oil systems used to dispense Chemtrail chemicals Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Alchemist DEBUNKED - 9/11 aircraft black boxes weren't recovered 9/11 241
TWCobra Wigington/Max Bliss Debunked. Automated Chemtrail dispersal Commercial aircraft Contrails and Chemtrails 7
anonname Is this a chemtrail aircraft? Contrails and Chemtrails 15
CbIncus Calculations of Aircraft Contrail Formation Critical Temperatures (Mark L. Schrader) Contrails and Chemtrails 10
HappyMonday Anonymous Email from an aircraft mechanic (via twitter) Contrails and Chemtrails 37
TWCobra Effect of mid-range Mohs (hardness scale) Volcanic Ash on aircraft v Aluminium oxide Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Related Articles

Related Articles